Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Nertz

Canada
341 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2005 :  13:21:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since re-activating the guestbook on our church site with OWM's new ver. 3.5, I've been getting several guestbook posts pending approval with objectionable material posted. These of course were deleted immediately, but checking the IP addresses from the posts at www.dnsstuff.com revealed most came from hosts on banned lists known to run automated scripts for creating spam. Wonder if anyone else who's installed guestbook 3.5 have run into this situation?

If these were indeed created by automated scripts, and only time will tell, I thought to adapt RGrund's Anti-Spam Registration mod to the guestbook... demo www.saint-pauls.ca/index.asp?main=/discussionforums/guestbook.asp?action=sign" target="_blank">here, no registration required.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the code after I'm done testing and had a chance to sanitize it.

cheers,
Nat
<

Sadly, most Family Court Judges wrongfully reward opportunistic gold diggers
that use our children unjustly as "instruments" of power.

www.fathers-4-justice-canada.ca
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 September 2005 :  16:53:08  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Since re-activating the guestbook on our church site with OWM's new ver. 3.5, I've been getting several guestbook posts pending approval with objectionable material posted. These of course were deleted immediately, but checking the IP addresses from the posts at www.dnsstuff.com revealed most came from hosts on banned lists known to run automated scripts for creating spam. Wonder if anyone else who's installed guestbook 3.5 have run into this situation?

This is the reason why I added the moderation feature...
quote:
If these were indeed created by automated scripts, and only time will tell, I thought to adapt RGrund's Anti-Spam Registration mod to the guestbook... demo here, no registration required.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the code after I'm done testing and had a chance to sanitize it.

Definately interested, it won't harm to add it as an optional feature. I haven't found the time to work on the update (as I said above) yet, and I think the Anti-Spam MOD is a nice addition.

Thanks, Nat. <

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 23 September 2005 :  13:34:21  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I'll do some work for the update (v3.5.1) this weekend, so if anyone has additional requests or suggestions, let me know.<

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Scottie
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  15:37:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael, Great MOD.

In what table is the guestbook data stored?

Thanks! <
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2005 :  16:00:18  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
FORUM_GUESTBOOK contains the guestbook entries (message, author, etc.)
FORUM_GB_OPTIONS contains the configuration data

(FORUM_ is the default table prefix)<

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 31 October 2005 :  21:45:56  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
A new version (v3.6) is now available.

It includes the following new features:
- Optional Antispam Confirmation (based on Robert Grunds Antispam Registration MOD)
- Admins can now approve/delete all unmoderated entries with one click

Upgrade instructions from v3.4 and v3.5 of the MOD are included in the readme.

Enjoy.

Edit: Forgot to mention, includes the bug fixed posted here and here.<

My MODs:

Useful stuff:

Edited by - OneWayMule on 01 November 2005 00:35:14
Go to Top of Page

dcwebman

USA
105 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2005 :  08:48:28  Show Profile  Visit dcwebman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My other guestbook program has been getting spammed lately so this looks like a great addition. I did see a couple things. I signed the demo guestbook with garbage for an email address and was thinking it might do some kind of validity checking. No big deal since it has moderation. The other thing is that I got the moderation message and then went to look at all the forums. In the guestbook Last Post column it showed my name even though it hadn't been approved yet. It might be a good idea to only put the last post that was approved in this column.<

Jeff

Edited by - dcwebman on 03 November 2005 08:48:54
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2005 :  14:35:37  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dcwebman

My other guestbook program has been getting spammed lately so this looks like a great addition. I did see a couple things. I signed the demo guestbook with garbage for an email address and was thinking it might do some kind of validity checking. No big deal since it has moderation. The other thing is that I got the moderation message and then went to look at all the forums. In the guestbook Last Post column it showed my name even though it hadn't been approved yet. It might be a good idea to only put the last post that was approved in this column.

Thanks for your comments, Jeff.
I haven't updated the code on my forum main page yet, it still shows the info of all guestbook entries in the database, whether they are approved or not.
Since I plan to release the code as a tiny snippet for the users of this MOD I'll update the code then.<

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

Zaphod616
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07 November 2005 :  21:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Zaphod616's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, just want to say great mod and super easy to install cleanly. I have noticed one small issue though and not sure if its just something that I might be missing or what the problem is. If I have the anti-spam feature turned on, I dont get any display of the numbers to enter in the field provided. I've tried in both Firefox 1.7, IExplorer 5.5, both logged in as admin and as a general guest. In Firefox, I can see at least a few boxes where the numbers would be, but in Explorer I'm not seeing anything at all showing up. I dont have any other mod installed that would be using random numbers like that, so is there a prerequisite mod other then the guestbook mod that this would be reading from?

Thanks in advance for all your hard work. I've very seldom had to actually post questions because I can usually find the answers here already. Regards, Joe<

The Froody Froums

Go to Top of Page

modifichicci
Average Member

Italy
787 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  01:45:25  Show Profile  Visit modifichicci's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you have MySql db try to change
strGBAntispam = 1
to
strGBAntispam = "1"
in guestbook.asp (all the recurrences)<

Ernia e Laparocele
Forum di Ernia e Laparocele
Acces - MySql Migration Tutorial
Adamantine forum
Go to Top of Page

richfed
Average Member

United States
999 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  06:17:53  Show Profile  Visit richfed's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod616

Hi, just want to say great mod and super easy to install cleanly. I have noticed one small issue though and not sure if its just something that I might be missing or what the problem is. If I have the anti-spam feature turned on, I dont get any display of the numbers to enter in the field provided. I've tried in both Firefox 1.7, IExplorer 5.5, both logged in as admin and as a general guest. In Firefox, I can see at least a few boxes where the numbers would be, but in Explorer I'm not seeing anything at all showing up. I dont have any other mod installed that would be using random numbers like that, so is there a prerequisite mod other then the guestbook mod that this would be reading from?

Thanks in advance for all your hard work. I've very seldom had to actually post questions because I can usually find the answers here already. Regards, Joe

Had the same problem ... you probably have your images in an image folder? If so, change line 58 on guestbook.asp to this:

Response.Redirect "images/" & ImageP & ".gif"<

Rich
[size=1]A Complete Idiot's Guide to MOD Implementation || On the Trail of the Last of the Mohicans[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Rocket468

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  09:50:28  Show Profile  Visit Rocket468's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you move the include config file up you can use

Response.Redirect strImageUrl & ImageP & ".gif"

/guestbook.asp?action=sign is the search term these bots have been using on google, and yahoo. Might be other search engines too, buth these where used on my spaming.

Would it be worth the time to change the guestbook to action=post and then make action=sign redirect the ip to ipgate if installed?<

Professional House Plans

DevilsOwn Alcohol Injection

Go to Top of Page

Zaphod616
Starting Member

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  10:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Zaphod616's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richfed

Had the same problem ... you probably have your images in an image folder? If so, change line 58 on guestbook.asp to this:

Response.Redirect "images/" & ImageP & ".gif"

Thanks Rich, that did it! I was starting to feel like an idiot because usually I can find whatever problem I seem to be having on here. As Shaggy says, "Search is your friend" lol. I'm not a real .asp jockey by any stretch so I going nuts trying to figure out the problem was. Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it! - Joe<

The Froody Froums

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  14:06:43  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod616

Thanks in advance for all your hard work. I've very seldom had to actually post questions because I can usually find the answers here already. Regards, Joe

Glad you like the MOD, Joe.
To your problem... I'll include the "fix" richfed posted in a future version.

quote:
Originally posted by modifichicci

If you have MySql db try to change
strGBAntispam = 1
to
strGBAntispam = "1"
in guestbook.asp (all the recurrences)

Umm.. haven't tested v3.6 on MySQL yet for some reason, will do that ASAP. Thanks for the info.<

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

Rocket468

USA
57 Posts

Posted - 08 November 2005 :  14:14:57  Show Profile  Visit Rocket468's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did not notice any problems with v3.6 under mysql.<

Professional House Plans

DevilsOwn Alcohol Injection

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07