Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2006 :  18:13:45  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Similar to my last mod but should work with screenreaders so hopefully no accessability issues.

Based on the same idea as the WordPress GateKeeper Plugin

This mod may help prevent bots (web robots) from doing the following on your forum;

1. Registering accounts automatically
2. Posting link spam automatically
3. Emailing your members automatically

It does this by asking the user to answer a unique (easy) question which the forum admin can set in the admin area. This is called a CAPTCHA test - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. For more information on Captcha's see - http://www.captcha.net/. This mod should be compatible with screenreaders for accessability purposes.

Example

Please do not use the question or answer in the above example. It would be the first thing programmed into a robot.

Download Courtesy of SnitzBitz

Please post any problems in this thread.
<

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.

JBaldwin

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2006 :  19:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please go through and fix the read me. It is REALLY SCREWED UP! Almost every instance similar to this:

"                <td bgcolor=""" & strCategoryCellColor """><a name=""gatekeeper""></a><font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace """ size="" strDefaultFontSize """ color="" strCategoryFontColor """   ><b>What is the Antispam Gatekeeper?</b></font></td>" & vbNewLine & _

You are missing the closing:
 & 

In so many places it is missing an AMPERSAND and some spots (following):
size=""		

...it is missing a quote and ampersand (" &)

This occurs in nearly every part of the readme. I ended up doing a "FIND" with Dreamweaver in the EDITED FILES and copy/pasted those into the appropriate spots. Just an FYI.
<

AbsolutelyFreerolls.com - Poker Freeroll Listings, Poker Forum and Poker News

Edited by - JBaldwin on 31 July 2006 19:54:48
Go to Top of Page

JBaldwin

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2006 :  20:10:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am now also having problem using Quick Reply. It is saying I did not enter/entered incorrect antispam info. Do we need to add the anti-spam boxes to the quick reply as well?<

AbsolutelyFreerolls.com - Poker Freeroll Listings, Poker Forum and Poker News

Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2006 :  22:44:08  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know what happened the readme. That shouldn't be happening with the quick reply.<

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2006 :  06:26:26  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'll try to have a fixed readme by the end of today.<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

Astralis

USA
1218 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2006 :  12:22:41  Show Profile  Send Astralis a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This looks promising and might stop many of my problems. Thanks for sharing, Podge! Is everything in order now?<

Edited by - Astralis on 10 August 2006 12:23:01
Go to Top of Page

tribaliztic

Sweden
1532 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2006 :  12:27:32  Show Profile  Visit tribaliztic's Homepage  Send tribaliztic an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Astralis: This is the thread I was talking about, glad you found it =)
<

/Tribaliztic
- www.gotlandrace.se -
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 10 August 2006 :  14:18:43  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Its not I'm afraid. I haven't had time to fix the instructions. I'll try tonight but I can't guarantee anything.<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

Webbo
Average Member

United Kingdom
982 Posts

Posted - 13 August 2006 :  18:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Webbo's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just as an aside, and a true tale - I went into a local shop/store and asked for "two dozen stamps" once.
I was told by a young male assistant that they didn't sell dozens but he could sell me two books of twelve if that was okay

so maybe the answer isn't as simple to some lol<
Go to Top of Page

bobby131313

USA
1163 Posts

Posted - 04 September 2006 :  14:00:23  Show Profile  Visit bobby131313's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Has the read me been updated yet? Waiting patiently.

<

Switch the order of your title tags
Go to Top of Page

JohnC

215 Posts

Posted - 01 October 2006 :  03:18:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any new developments on this mod yet?<
Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2006 :  16:15:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't looked closely at this yet. Does the mod accept multiple questions that are in rotation or is it only one question?

Please let us know when the readme has been updated. Thanks for this mod!<
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2006 :  16:43:59  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I've been very busy lately.<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2006 :  19:02:47  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There is only one question which you would have to manually rotate. The idea is to change the question at the first sign of spam. Most of the scripts/apps used to spam forums only work on the base release so installing any spam measure should stop them.

I've updated the zip at SnitzBitz
Any volunteers to test the new readme.html ?<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

taropatch
Average Member

USA
741 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2006 :  23:07:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
WP-Gatekeeper: The strength of Gatekeeper is that it allows you to create any number of challenges you like, and picks one at random to insert into the comment form
Thanks Podge. I just wasn't sure since it looks like the WP-Gatekeeper picks a question at random.

I am uncertain how the spammers are doing their thing. Since I have the Antispam Registration Add-On, it seems that the spammer does manually register. IF he/she saw the question, couldn't they adjust his/her script. A random question would stop them in their tracks. Forgive me, I am just thinking 'typing' out loud.

Really appreciate your time and effort in creating this mod. It will save many forums and their members from spam headaches. Can't thank you enough!<
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 04 October 2006 :  04:09:02  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Since I have the Antispam Registration Add-On, it seems that the spammer does manually register. IF he/she saw the question, couldn't they adjust his/her script.

Yes. This mod is not designed to stop human spammers, just automated scripts and apps which are designed to spam multiple forums at a time.<

Podge.

Edited by - Podge on 04 October 2006 04:15:12
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07