Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Snitz GateKeeper Antispam

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Podge Posted - 31 July 2006 : 18:13:45
Similar to my last mod but should work with screenreaders so hopefully no accessability issues.

Based on the same idea as the WordPress GateKeeper Plugin

This mod may help prevent bots (web robots) from doing the following on your forum;

1. Registering accounts automatically
2. Posting link spam automatically
3. Emailing your members automatically

It does this by asking the user to answer a unique (easy) question which the forum admin can set in the admin area. This is called a CAPTCHA test - Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart. For more information on Captcha's see - http://www.captcha.net/. This mod should be compatible with screenreaders for accessability purposes.

Example

Please do not use the question or answer in the above example. It would be the first thing programmed into a robot.

Download Courtesy of SnitzBitz

Please post any problems in this thread.
<
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Podge Posted - 16 October 2012 : 12:34:37
Thanks. Glad you got it working.
leblanc9425 Posted - 16 October 2012 : 11:48:12
I just implemented the GateKeeper mod to my v3.4.07 message board and it seems to have fixed my spam registration problem! Initially I used a numeric answer to the question but apparently the spammers know this is common and were still getting through. Instead, I used a more unique question that seems to be working! Yaahhooo.

Thanks a great mod. I was spending a lot of time every day deleting spam registrations. Now, I do not have to check each one as I was doing.

Podge Posted - 24 June 2010 : 13:53:14
Can you post your full post_info.asp ?
systemshock Posted - 24 June 2010 : 03:23:38
A couple of points on the implementation

podge's addition on page 3 causes the post_info.asp file to not check the gatekeeper Q/A response as the conditions of the IF are never satisfied. The {strDBNTUserName = ""} is declared earlier in the file so will always be false, so the AND condition will bring back false. The only way to get around this problem is to delete this part of the condition, and follow the mod on page 2 about moving the position of the gatekeeper check to outside the IF statements.

The pop_mail.asp can be fixed if you are using 3.4.06

Follow the first code insert. and for the second. Look for the block of code starting

if YEmail = "" then
Response.Write "<input name=""YEmail"" type=""text"" value=""" & YEmail & """ size=""25"">"
else
Response.Write "<font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """>" & YEmail & "</font>"
end if

The string section under this gives you the layout for the main message box, along with the submit button.

Find the end of a table ( e.g look for the </tr> flag ) Insert JUST the IF statement from the readme. MAKE SURE you delete the { & _ } (ignore the curly braces} otherwise you will get a syntax error. And after the IF statement make sure you add the { Response.Write } before the beginning of the next string.

Here is an extract of my code, which will give you the Antispam Q/A table between the message and the submit box.

http://www.radio.warwick.ac.uk/~rclubb/Edit1.txt

Hope this helps anyone else.

Thanks for this mod, it is very useful. Just testing it on my forum to check if it can knock out some of the spam.
Joebobby Posted - 28 February 2010 : 10:56:03
I'm running into the same issue RE: the missing or different code in pop_mail. Podge refers to some code he had put on an earlier page of this post, but it's no longer there. According to one of his more recent replies, he was going to try and find this...

quote:

quote:Can't see anything in your post on page3 Podge.

Thats because its gone missing. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
Podge.

I (and probably others) need this because I'm no coder, so I have no idea what I should or should not be replacing in this section of this file.

Kind regards,

JoeBobb
AnonJr Posted - 08 October 2009 : 15:17:08
quote:
Originally posted by timmay

Is there a way to add the spam question back to the quick reply as well as have it required for people who are logged in? From what I've read, it looks like the spam question goes away once you are logged in.

As it should be. If its a registered, logged in user that's causing your problems you've got bigger issues that can be solved by locking the account (temporarily or permanently depending on the situation.)
Podge Posted - 08 October 2009 : 10:42:15
There is no point in having it on the quick reply page. post_info.asp is where the captcha needs to be checked.
timmay Posted - 08 October 2009 : 09:57:57
Is there a way to add the spam question back to the quick reply as well as have it required for people who are logged in? From what I've read, it looks like the spam question goes away once you are logged in.

Thanks for your help.
Carefree Posted - 23 September 2009 : 05:11:27
quote:
Originally posted by gledav

If anyone can clarify the ambiguous code issue in pop_mail.asp I’d appreciate it. Where is the following?:

if YEmail = "" then
Response.Write "<input name=""YEmail"" type=""text"" value=""" & YEmail & """ size=""25"">"
else
Response.Write "<font face=""" & strDefaultFontFace & """ size=""" & strDefaultFontSize & """>" & YEmail & "</font>"
end if

The instructions do not have that bit of code. That may be why you cannot find it.
gledav Posted - 21 September 2009 : 19:09:39
If anyone can clarify the ambiguous code issue in pop_mail.asp I’d appreciate it. Where is the following?:

if YEmail = "" then
else
end if
Carefree Posted - 05 August 2009 : 15:23:08
quote:
Originally posted by ZkilfinG

the fix from Carefree on page5 doesn't seem to work...

I put it back online (compatible with 3.4.07).
Podge Posted - 05 August 2009 : 07:14:28
quote:
Can't see anything in your post on page3 Podge.
Thats because its gone missing. I'll see if I can find it somewhere.
ZkilfinG Posted - 05 August 2009 : 04:57:22
I still had issues with spambots so I added gatekeeper again. I couldn't get the pop_mail.asp working. Can't see anything in your post on page3 Podge. And the fix from Carefree on page5 doesn't seem to work (I get an error when opening the page). I don't need that feature of the script though, so I just skipped it. Other then that everything seems to work. Though there might be things I've missed to test.
Podge Posted - 28 July 2009 : 11:31:32
I'll try to update the zip to work with the latest version and also include a few fixes when I get a chance.
ZkilfinG Posted - 28 July 2009 : 09:39:26
Thanks ruirib. I've started considering using email verification instead since that might be enough (though I have to figure out why emailing isn't working through the forum first in that case). The drawback of relying on mods is the hassle of updating the forum to newer versions, so if I can avoid it that's good. If I end up trying it and I get it to work I'll try to remember to report back here for others reference.

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07