Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2005 :  17:57:12  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This should plug and play into most Snitz forums. Tested on v3.4.05
Not fully finished but it works. Based on the original rssfeed.asp by Richard Kinser (uses getrows so its fast).

Demo here
Code here
Stylesheet here - http://demo.forumco.com/sitemap.xsl

MySql Verision here

Save the text file as sitemap.xml.asp and upload to your main forum directory.
Submit to Google here - https://www.google.com/webmasters/sitemaps/stats

I'm still waiting for Google to validate my sitemap but it validated ok with another validator so it should be ok.

Currently it lists all those topics not in private forums. I will add default.asp, forum.asp, etc. later
Should I add members.asp and all of the members pages? e.g. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=1049

For bugs, issues, feature requests, suggestions etc., please reply here.

<

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.

Edited by - Podge on 30 July 2006 08:17:19

muzishun

United States
1079 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2005 :  23:57:08  Show Profile  Visit muzishun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Worked pretty well for me. Waiting on Google to validate mine now.

I would like to see the members.asp and members pages added, along with the other pages you mentioned. Perhaps that's just because I want to see that my site gets indexed as much as possible, but if it won't hurt to index more of your site, why not go ahead, right?<

Bill Parrott
Senior Web Programmer, University of Kansas
Co-Owner and Code Monkey, Eternal Second Designs (www.eternalsecond.com)
Personal Website (www.chimericdream.com)
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  03:04:40  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
it seems to need a Script Timeout for larger forums.<

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  03:21:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With-in 2 hours Google had Sitemapped me.<

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  04:16:15  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I know there's a phpbb sitemaps mod which has every single page (almost) of phpbb included. The vBulletin one doesn't include members. I think members pages should be included but I can make it configurable.

Dayve, how many topics do you have?<

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  06:48:25  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Updated to include member profiles and some forum pages.

Just replace the old file and you should be good to go.

Code here
<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  08:26:43  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Updated to include member profiles and some forum pages.
Aren't Members Profiles pages non-public ??
Sorry, spotted the option to hide the members-pages...
<

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 02 July 2005 08:33:57
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  08:30:44  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now you tell me

I'll remove them.<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  09:31:59  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Sorry, spotted the option to hide the members-pages...

It was commented out. No point in having it there anyway, it just adds substantial processing time and the links won't be indexed.

Has anyone tried this on a large forum? I submitted one to Google and got a 404 error. It wasn't a script timeout issue. I presume it was because it took a while to generate and Google couldn't download it i.e. they must be using a timeout value. Changing buffering to false may send a 200 response before the full page is generated.<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

muzishun

United States
1079 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  11:20:14  Show Profile  Visit muzishun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you still have the code for the file that will show the members pages? There's some code left behind in the current version you've got that is from the members version. My forum is fairly small, so I don't anticipate Google having any problems indexing anything.<

Bill Parrott
Senior Web Programmer, University of Kansas
Co-Owner and Code Monkey, Eternal Second Designs (www.eternalsecond.com)
Personal Website (www.chimericdream.com)
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  11:55:59  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote

Updated the file to include members (configurable) and printer friendly pages.

To turn on members change this line near the top to "true"

showMembers = "false" ' set to true or false if you do not want member profiles to be shown or not shown
<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2005 :  22:55:55  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Podge

Dayve, how many topics do you have?

close to 25,000 topics. I already added the script timeout and it worked.<

Edited by - dayve on 02 July 2005 22:56:16
Go to Top of Page

wildfiction

167 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2005 :  15:01:17  Show Profile  Visit wildfiction's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Excellent work Podge - thanks!!

I've just tried it on a test forum and as well as coming up with all the topics it also came up with the topic's print friendly page's:
...com/forum/pop_printer_friendly.asp?TOPIC_ID=19

Is this by design?<
Go to Top of Page

wildfiction

167 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2005 :  15:09:04  Show Profile  Visit wildfiction's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll tell you what we need (and I apologise for putting a spec here but I don't have time to code this myself) is as follows:

An intermediary page which has a bunch of check boxes to select to include which pages are included in the XML file (a la members pages etc.)

And then a couple of buttons:
The "VIEW XML" button shows the xml page which your code current produces.
The "WRITE FILE" button writes the file to your forum's root directory and then pings the google site letting them know that a new XML file has been uploaded.

Bells and whistles would also zip the XML file.

Problems: need to give the ASP code write access to the root of the web and not just the data base directory. (Can you give ASP code write access to just 1 file? i.e. the XML output file...)
<
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2005 :  19:08:12  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I figured that the more pages which were included the better, thats why I included printer firendly pages. Its easy enough to take them out if you don't want them there.

To ping Google is easy enough to do. It requires use of a component or by using xmlhttp which a lot of forum owners may have a problem with. The same with the File System Object and with gzipping. If you have a large forum I would recommend that you view the sitemap and then save it to your desktop. GZIP it using this - http://www.gzip.org/ and then upload it.

<

Podge.

Go to Top of Page

wildfiction

167 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2005 :  02:59:56  Show Profile  Visit wildfiction's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Podge! I was under the impression that search engines penalized you for duplicate content on your site so I thought that the printer friendly pages might be considered duplicate content?<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07