New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 29 November 2008 :  19:50:29  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
Since I saw the iPhone for the first time, I always believed in the device, especially for professional and companies (I think the presentation by Apple of the 2nd version of the software is very real on this days), and I recently bought one iPhone 3G and since then I always thought in develop an application that could be easier to read the Snitz Forum.

This is not a MOD! This is only a developer idea of doing such thing, and that is why I choose this forum and not the MOD forum.

you can view an idea using http://iphone.balexandre.com/snitz/

you NEED TO USE Safari browser or any WebKit core browser.

please, fell free to drop a line.

There is a lot to do, and this is only static pages, not dynamic (no DB connection yet), it is only to show the design and the flow.

"call user" "send an email" and "map to home" on user details work with the iPhone, it calls the number, sends an email using Mail app and opens Google Maps app instead a webapage of Google maps.

What do you think?

<

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

"a Portuguese in Danmark"

Edited by - balexandre on 06 December 2008 17:24:44

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  03:47:00  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Finally I've got the chance to reply : Bruno, I must say I really like this approach!
When do you hope to release the first beta?<

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2008 :  19:57:49  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
this is more like ... gathering around and put some ideas on the table, this is my first iPhone app, so, a lot of things can go either bad or good :)

And keep in mind that this is just HTML/ASP pages and not Objective-C programming, so except for Phone, Email and Maps I do not have any other iPhone Service available, for example, to show Videos.

Addings to the original code:

• Nice icon when Adding the bookmark to the Home Screen
  • Settings that will keep user logged in
  • Go to home in user info screen opens Maps application with a nice label instead address
  • Send user an email will lunch Mail application
  • Call user will call the phone number of the user
  • images (as it is seeing on the application) will be used if Avatar Mod is implemented

I'm still working on showing images in a nice way instead of showing it on the message as normal.

Some images of the application to all of you that does not have an iPhone:

<

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Edited by - balexandre on 02 December 2008 20:45:31
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 07 December 2008 :  00:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This looks very eye-catching Bruno! Thank you for sharing your ideas with us! <
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  08:14:07  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I need to ask...

Should I translate the "entire" forum, or just a "light" part of it?

Just because i'm crossing a lot of functions that will take a lot of the bandwidth, and iPhone, no matter if it's the best or not on this, is still a mobile device that uses GPRS / Edge / 3G / 3.5G network and in my opinion, should only be a "light" version (no Admin, no Subscriptions, etc).

What do you guys think?<

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  08:46:19  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Mmm, admin functions might be handy, but keep it all as light as possible.
not to many icons in topics, no avatars, a slim profilepage, no memberlist, stuff like that.<

Edited by - MarcelG on 12 December 2008 08:47:10
Go to Top of Page

Shaggy
Support Moderator

Ireland
6780 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  08:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd vote for no admin options at all; would be very wary of sending my admin password over the mobile airwaves.

<

Search is your friend
“I was having a mildly paranoid day, mostly due to the
fact that the mad priest lady from over the river had
taken to nailing weasels to my front door again.”
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  10:52:51  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Shaggy, your waryness is not needed: 3G and GPRS data is encrypted by default.
See http://www.gsm-security.net/faq/gsm-encryption-algorithm-a5-cipher.shtml and http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1052410.html for further reference.
They cannot 'sniff' it from the air at this moment.
<

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  10:54:06  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not only that, but it would be nice to have some means of dealing with troublemakers at a moments notice.<
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 12 December 2008 :  14:22:25  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote

you guys love to give me more work

I will post a beta light version for testing while I'll do the admin part then

Marcel, I will convert smilies into text :) ;) etc instead images but how about really images [ img ] ... [ /img ]... would be nice to see them right? and Videos as well..., click to load video and just showing the 1st frame of the video or an image (like I told you in the Oxle forum).

or could see a slide show if forum as photo gallery ....

ohhhh... there are soooo many things that I would love to implement <

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Edited by - balexandre on 12 December 2008 14:25:56
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2008 :  03:56:38  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by balexandre

Marcel, I will convert smilies into text :) ;) etc instead images but how about really images [ img ] ... [ /img ]... would be nice to see them right? and Videos as well..., click to load video and just showing the 1st frame of the video or an image (like I told you in the Oxle forum).

or could see a slide show if forum as photo gallery ....

ohhhh... there are soooo many things that I would love to implement

Mmmm, I think there's no need to use textbased smilies ; those images are pretty small in filesize, so there's not much effect on loading times.

For images however, I think you could replace them with an 'anchortext', like for instance "click here to view image", which then opens the image in a new screen/tab.

For videos ; I'd replace all videos excect YouTube with an anchortext 'Unsupported video format'. The Youtube videos will show an image by default.<

Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2010 :  01:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you made anymore progress on the Bruno?
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2010 :  07:54:16  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
not even 1 bit more as only a few show some interest on it.

because the iPhone shows Snitz Forum really great, I stop the idea.

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2010 :  09:22:56  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
While I don't have an iPhone, and am not completely interested in it; I do have to say that you may have only gotten a few people voicing their interest. I'm fairly certain that there are a large number of people that will find it useful.
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2383 Posts

Posted - 02 January 2010 :  10:30:47  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We could really use it! I live in a small town where several people have this type of phone/internet connection. I asked a guy at church to check out your test link, and he said "everything seems to be working good as far as I can tell". I'm not sure what kind of phone he has, but I'll let you know.
Go to Top of Page

artie
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2010 :  13:54:09  Show Profile  Visit artie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Balexandre, this is really great, I was searching for "iphone mods" or "smart phone" modes in snitz with timeout and ended up finding this page on google. I'm been using snitz since 2006 and love it. I think the mobile interface you've created is wonderful and you or someone should pursue it. I would myself but I feel rather novice.

Snitz looks great on the iphone but I have a problem with the font size. I was tempted on created a mirror site with a large font size just and link it to my main forum just to have an option on my mobile device, but then I run into having a double DB. So I'm also thinking of finding a way to have the snitz forum look for the admin_config_colors.asp file on a different directly, I think I would have to do some serious code hacking around to find it. That way I can keep my original db.

I think more and more people are using mobile devices for looking at forums and to be honest, it's hard to get on a computer at work without worrying about the hassles of work/personal conflicts, monitoring etc...

If I wanted to interface some of the pages you have done with your site how would I do that?

Great topic and hope others show more internet.

-Artie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07