Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 DEV-Group
 DEV Discussions (General)
 iPhone version of Snitz

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
balexandre Posted - 29 November 2008 : 19:50:29
Since I saw the iPhone for the first time, I always believed in the device, especially for professional and companies (I think the presentation by Apple of the 2nd version of the software is very real on this days), and I recently bought one iPhone 3G and since then I always thought in develop an application that could be easier to read the Snitz Forum.

This is not a MOD! This is only a developer idea of doing such thing, and that is why I choose this forum and not the MOD forum.

you can view an idea using http://iphone.balexandre.com/snitz/

you NEED TO USE Safari browser or any WebKit core browser.

please, fell free to drop a line.

There is a lot to do, and this is only static pages, not dynamic (no DB connection yet), it is only to show the design and the flow.

"call user" "send an email" and "map to home" on user details work with the iPhone, it calls the number, sends an email using Mail app and opens Google Maps app instead a webapage of Google maps.

What do you think?

<
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
s80ts0465 Posted - 26 August 2012 : 06:59:21
I'm interested in it. Is it possible to have the source code for developing?

Bye
kyodai Posted - 04 March 2011 : 19:04:14
Hmmm, an app? Didn't think about that...Dunno, what should that app be doing? Just adjusting the fonts in the default browser and cutting out unnecessary banners?

Anyways i still like the idea of a "mobile" snitz. What balexandre posted was just a mock-up but if it was actual asp i would instantly upload it to my site and bet the users would love it.
AnonJr Posted - 03 March 2011 : 20:08:57
kyodai, I can see your point about the iPhone's current prominence. However, Android is rapidly catching up and Windows Phone 7 is shaping up to get Microsoft back in the game they once dominated.

One option is to develop an app using 4 different tools/APIs and deploying it on the 4 major platforms (iOS, Android, WP7, BlackBerry). For a certain class of content that makes sense.

But for a site that is predominantly web-based, unless it also has a local component I have a hard time justifying the cost/time of app development with the cost/time of developing an awesome mobile web experience.

Again, the particulars of the case do factor in to the decision. I would hazard a guess though that a Snitz-based product would provide a better cost/benefit ratio with the mobile website option.
AnonJr Posted - 03 March 2011 : 20:03:04
quote:
Originally posted by bobby131313

My worry is, how do I prevent people from using the stripped down version on a subdomain when they're not on a phone?

You could try to do some browser sniffing to redirect them to the appropriate site, but as easy as it is to counter most browser sniffing techniques I'm not sure its worth the effort.

Many of the commercial sites I visit have no problems with me using the mobile site on a desktop browser, which makes me wonder if it is a concern worth being concerned about. Without more details I couldn't say in this particular case.

I do have to say that I like using the mobile version of sites when I'm on my netbook (like I am now) since the smaller screen makes it a bugger to work with some pages.
kyodai Posted - 03 March 2011 : 16:55:38
quote:
Originally posted by bobby131313

My worry is, how do I prevent people from using the stripped down version on a subdomain when they're not on a phone?

I guess you can't prevent that 100% if someones forcing it. I'd prolly make a spider exception so google and co won't index these. Make the subdomain something unique like "mobile.mypage.com" while the normal one is "www.mypage.com". You could also add a browser check, but i guess you just can't check for all obscure browsers existing, but redirect opera, chrome, IE, firefox and safari to the main page. Totally oldschool.

I must admit i don't even have an iphone, but as my site is a commercial one i tend to rather not ignore mainstream trends and iPhone definitely is still like the trend #1. From a commercial point of view iPhone users are extremely welcome as someone dumping a grand into such a toy obviously also has the 4.95 for our premium subscription. Yea of course it would be cool to also offer something that works for (sigh: "nearly") all other pda phones as well, but from a business view iPhone is simply priority #1. Don't get my wrong - as i said i dont have one and i don't even really want one (I'm the last person alive who does NOT use a cell phone asides from work) but it's from a business point of view. And i guess the iphone version would work as well for all cell phones with a similar screen res.

Anyways, unfortunately i am no good at this. I know quite some stuff already about SQL queries and such, backend stuff - but I'm no good when it comes to stuff like page design. Any small step in that direction would however be very welcomed.
bobby131313 Posted - 03 March 2011 : 14:17:35
AnonJr Posted - 03 March 2011 : 14:00:15
I'm not sure how much that's really needed with the current generation of smart phones... I can't speak for iOS devices, but on my N1 and on my old Windows Mobile 6 phone the pages worked fine. I would think that if WM6 worked fine that WP7 would be fine too... but that may be assuming too much.

I think Opera Mobile had some funky issues with Java Script, but that's not exactly something we can fix on this end.

Really the biggest thing is that the size of the page (MB, not formatting) isn't exactly "mobile friendly", nor is the layout as easy to manipulate as one would like (but it is workable - I've posted more than a few replies from my N1 and old WM6 phone. The latter was much better due to the physical keyboard, but that's another topic for another day.)

I won't speak for anyone else, or the dev team here, but from my perspective time would be better spent working on a page layout that worked for mobile instead of trying to build an actual app for each phone OS. With a few minor layout tweaks, removing some extraneous whitespace and vbNewLine's from the code, it could be made very mobile friendly in short order. Maybe add a sub-domain of m.whatever.com and have that point to the mobile-friendly code - using the same database - and it would be very serviceable.

Depending on how extensive the renovations wanted, it could take someone with the right amount of free time a few weeks to a couple of months to get it done and tested. I've had the idea for a while, but as I mentioned in another thread, I've been more than a little busy at work here lately. "Do more with less" and all.
kyodai Posted - 03 March 2011 : 07:38:19
Somehow missed this post, but i just saw the design mock-up by balexandre and imho it looks gorgeous. I wonder how much work it would be to put some live SQL into the mockup pages, it hink from the design and idea this already is perfect. Did noone ever approach something like this?
zakazn Posted - 10 January 2011 : 11:49:05
I have had members ask me recently if I can create an iphone app for my forum - would be great if it was in the pipeline.
artie Posted - 28 November 2010 : 13:54:09
Balexandre, this is really great, I was searching for "iphone mods" or "smart phone" modes in snitz with timeout and ended up finding this page on google. I'm been using snitz since 2006 and love it. I think the mobile interface you've created is wonderful and you or someone should pursue it. I would myself but I feel rather novice.

Snitz looks great on the iphone but I have a problem with the font size. I was tempted on created a mirror site with a large font size just and link it to my main forum just to have an option on my mobile device, but then I run into having a double DB. So I'm also thinking of finding a way to have the snitz forum look for the admin_config_colors.asp file on a different directly, I think I would have to do some serious code hacking around to find it. That way I can keep my original db.

I think more and more people are using mobile devices for looking at forums and to be honest, it's hard to get on a computer at work without worrying about the hassles of work/personal conflicts, monitoring etc...

If I wanted to interface some of the pages you have done with your site how would I do that?

Great topic and hope others show more internet.

-Artie
Etymon Posted - 02 January 2010 : 10:30:47
We could really use it! I live in a small town where several people have this type of phone/internet connection. I asked a guy at church to check out your test link, and he said "everything seems to be working good as far as I can tell". I'm not sure what kind of phone he has, but I'll let you know.
AnonJr Posted - 01 January 2010 : 09:22:56
While I don't have an iPhone, and am not completely interested in it; I do have to say that you may have only gotten a few people voicing their interest. I'm fairly certain that there are a large number of people that will find it useful.
balexandre Posted - 01 January 2010 : 07:54:16
not even 1 bit more as only a few show some interest on it.

because the iPhone shows Snitz Forum really great, I stop the idea.
Etymon Posted - 01 January 2010 : 01:38:15
Have you made anymore progress on the Bruno?
MarcelG Posted - 15 December 2008 : 03:56:38
quote:
Originally posted by balexandre

Marcel, I will convert smilies into text :) ;) etc instead images but how about really images [ img ] ... [ /img ]... would be nice to see them right? and Videos as well..., click to load video and just showing the 1st frame of the video or an image (like I told you in the Oxle forum).

or could see a slide show if forum as photo gallery ....

ohhhh... there are soooo many things that I would love to implement

Mmmm, I think there's no need to use textbased smilies ; those images are pretty small in filesize, so there's not much effect on loading times.

For images however, I think you could replace them with an 'anchortext', like for instance "click here to view image", which then opens the image in a new screen/tab.

For videos ; I'd replace all videos excect YouTube with an anchortext 'Unsupported video format'. The Youtube videos will show an image by default.<

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07