Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Comparing files
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

campinmom03

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  05:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning. I did a search and could not find what I was looking for. I know I've seen it mentioned, and maybe I just didn't input the right key word for the search.

Anyway, what program do you guys use for comparing your files?<

Have a great day!
Terry

gary b

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  06:29:42  Show Profile  Visit gary b's Homepage  Reply with Quote
BeyondCompare2... compares folders, files, hard drives, whatever. Binary compare, text compare... awesome! Will even show you the differences -- line by line -- in a text-based file!! Great for 'sync'ing' website files with 'local' copies. Well worth the money.

HTH<
Go to Top of Page

campinmom03

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  08:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gary b thank you for the information. I appreciate it as I have been up half the night with my kids being sick. Thats probably the reason why I couldn't find this in a search the first time. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62765&SearchTerms=beyond,compare

You also mention - "Well worth the money". How much is it?

<

Have a great day!
Terry
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  08:13:10  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
30 USD

if you want a free one you could try windiff<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  09:11:15  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using WinMerge for a long time, and I've been happy with it as well. Its free too.

In the end it comes down to what works best for you. When talking about tools, you'll find a lot of people get just a tad over emotional about their favorite tools. <
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  10:53:06  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message  Reply with Quote
I have 2 love WinMerge it's doing a fantastic job on my part <

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

"a Portuguese in Danmark"

Edited by - balexandre on 19 March 2008 10:53:18
Go to Top of Page

phy1729
Average Member

USA
589 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  10:53:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use diff. It come free on any *nix based system and there is a free windows version. I is a command line based utility not GUI but it works well.<
Go to Top of Page

Panhandler
Average Member

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  11:05:12  Show Profile  Visit Panhandler's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AnonJr

I've been using WinMerge for a long time, and I've been happy with it as well. Its free too.
. . .

Wow, thanks! I checked it out and the screen shots look like BeyondCompare. . .
The price is right too.
<

"5-in-1 Snitz Common Expansion Pack" - five popular mods packaged for easy install
". . .on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam. . ."
HarborClassifieds
Support Snitz Forums

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  13:51:09  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The best part (for me) is that you can easily un-zip WinMerge to a flash drive and take it with you. Between it and some of the other tools over at www.portableapps.com (and a few I've found floating around here and there), I can do most of what I need to do from any Windows PC. <
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  15:14:07  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anon coolest link I have ever seen the portable apps one. I am going to go buy a flash drive speciafically for that. <
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  15:45:19  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've got a 4GB SanDisk Cruzer that I've been using... I could use a little more space though.

So far, this is what I've got for portable apps: (not all are from the portableapps.com site)

• 7-Zip Portable

• Audacity Portable (audio editor)

• AutorunINF Editor (a nice GUI for making autorun.inf files)

• Blender (3D Modeling program)

• CDex (CD Ripper)

• ClamWin Portable

• ColorPix (for finding what RGB an onscreen color is)

• EZ Macros (don't use much...)

• Foxit PDF Reader

• GIMP Portable

• JkDefrag

• KeePass Portable (don't use much...)

• MDBPlus

• Mines-Perfect Portable (portable Minesweeper on steroids )

• MLA Autogenerator

• Mozilla FireFox Portable (with FTP extension, Web Developer's Toolbar, and a lot more)

• Mozilla Thunderbird Portable (don't use this much...)

• MPlayer Portable

• Notepad++ Portable

• OpenOffice.org Portable

• PC Wizard (gathers system info etc.)

• PhotoFiltre

• CamStudio

• e-Sword (bible study software)

• Restoration (file un-deleter, not the best but there's no installation required)

• Screen Calipers (for measuring to the pixle on-screen items)

• Scribus (found the portable version somewhere... its like Publisher, but better and free)

• SysSpec (like PC Wizard, but returns slightly different info and has a better UI)

• TightVNC

• ToDoList (haven't been using this one much...)

• Toucan Portable (file/folder synchronization and/or backup)

• VirtualDub (AVI editor)

• Inkscape (found the portable verison somewhere... great vector graphics program)

• WinMerge

• Wink (found the portable version somewhere... free screen capture/tutorial builder)

• Windows In A Box - one-click access to just about every Windows setting you could want to tweak

• Wavosaur (light-weight audio editor, this one supports VST plugins though)

*The stuff with "Portable" in the name came from the Portable Apps website.

I've also got some other apps that I keep on the drive that don't play well with the PortableApps menu.<
Go to Top of Page

campinmom03

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  21:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys! I've had a long day with the kids being sick and all. Thought I would drop in to see how much that beyondcompare2 was... and OMG and I cannot believe all the responses left for me to read.
Honestly, we have to talk about toys more often, eh?

HuwR - I think I'll check out the free ones that you and the others have posted about. Thank you.

Thirty bucks isn't a bad price for beyondcompare2 considering all the reviews on it.

Well gotta go for now. Thanks again everyone!<

Have a great day!
Terry
Go to Top of Page

muzishun

United States
1079 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  22:22:22  Show Profile  Visit muzishun's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll put another vote in for WinMerge, and I have to say I am glad I stopped by here. Anon, that is quite the list of portable apps! A lot of those look like things I could use.<

Bill Parrott
Senior Web Programmer, University of Kansas
Co-Owner and Code Monkey, Eternal Second Designs (www.eternalsecond.com)
Personal Website (www.chimericdream.com)
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 19 March 2008 :  23:24:45  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by campinmom03

gary b thank you for the information. I appreciate it as I have been up half the night with my kids being sick. Thats probably the reason why I couldn't find this in a search the first time. http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62765&SearchTerms=beyond,compare

You also mention - "Well worth the money". How much is it?

BeyondCompare is so intelligently coded that it will allow you to use it free for 30 days - but these are not 30 days since you use it the first time, but actually 30 different days on which you used the app, which may span a lot longer than 30 days from your first use - just a small indication of a how well thought out this tool is.

I've paid the 30 bucks and have never regreted it.<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

campinmom03

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2008 :  06:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
origninally posted by: ruirib
quote:
BeyondCompare is so intelligently coded that it will allow you to use it free for 30 days - but these are not 30 days since you use it the first time, but actually 30 different days on which you used the app, which may span a lot longer than 30 days from your first use - just a small indication of a how well thought out this tool is.

That's nice to know! I just paid bills... but considering that info, by the time my 30 days is up I'll be able to get it! Thanks for the info ruirib. <

Have a great day!
Terry
Go to Top of Page

leatherlips

USA
1838 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2008 :  21:11:36  Show Profile  Visit leatherlips's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if WinMerge is Vista compatible? Sounds like a great tool.<

Mangione Magic Forum - The Music of Chuck Mangione

My Mods: Googiespell MOD | Link To Reply MOD | Petition MOD | Contact Page MOD | Share This Topic MOD | MP3 MOD | PageEar MOD | Google Viewer MOD
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07