New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2001 :  17:04:39  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I agree and chopped off the bit about past events because to me it was just taking up valuable space.

@tomic

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2001 :  18:13:24  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

BTW, don't know if anyone else has questioned this in here, but how useful is displaying recent events (events within the past 30 days)? If the event has passed, you're SOL and it doesn't really do anyone any good but to let them know they may have missed an event.

Why not keep the area open for either today's events, this week's events and still keep upcoming events prominent.

Good input,

originally i designed this for calvsa, which is a student club, site and it was pretty important to see what sorta events the club held. Therefore recent events was coded and still exist on to version 2. But if it's not for you. it should be fairly easy for anyone to take out. Just don't call the displayRecent function or something.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2001 :  21:44:18  Show Profile
Good answer Alan!

I don't mean to imply it's a bad thing, but I'm surprised that I haven't seen anyone bring this up before. I think it really depends upon the site, but I haven't really seen anyone do it differently.

Part of it comes from the company I work at. We publish hobby magazines and each magazine maintains lists of events which is very important to people. They'll go so far as to plan their vacations around some events and so they really want to see as far ahead as possible. Our customers don't want to see information about events that have happened.

I'm just trying to get people to think about how their customers would use their calendar and what makes the most sense in it's implementation. You may not think much of it as a developer, but to your customer it may seem a bit strange. (I hope this makes sense to someone.)

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

philboze
Starting Member

12 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  07:12:37  Show Profile
This Events MOD is great....my users will love it. One question:

Is there a way to display the SMALL Calender and the Upcoming Events ONLY. I'd like to have them displayed as part of the home page on our intranet without having the big calender etc.

Being an ASP idiot, I have no clue on how to do this. Any ideas?

thanks
Phil
philboze@hotmail.com

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  16:54:03  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
i'm not quite sure on exactly what you're trying to do. But if you just want the small calendar and the upcoming events, look at the events_inc.asp file to see how I extracted those.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  17:49:38  Show Profile
I am not sure if this has been up before, but would it be possible to use subcats as hours for this mod, so that the calendar would be able to show not only the individual days, but also time of day?

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2001 :  04:01:19  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Hers a quick attempt at timezone correction within the Calendar (corection of days only at this stage). Huw's Forum Timezone Mod is required to be implemented for this to work.

Calendar should now correctly highlight the date based on the users Timezone settings stored in their profile.

I'm not sure if this is the cleanest or best solution, but at this stage this appears to be working ok on my Test forums.

Update events_inc.asp, events.asp and events_functions.asp

Replace all occurences of "Now()" with "strForumTimeAdjust"
Replace all occurences of "Date()" with "CDate(ChkDate(DATE()))"

Please feel free to post any potential problems i may have inadvertantly got myself into here by making these changes

Go to Top of Page

AlexT
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  03:55:50  Show Profile
Ok, I'm trying to install the calender, but I get to the step in the FAQ that I have to go to step #1 and it says "use mod_dbsetup.asp to set up table. Just run mod_dbsetup and select Snitz Events Calendar v2 sr1"

So I try and open up "mod_dbsetup.asp" and there is a 404. So what do I do now? Then the FAQ says I need to add some code to the events page on the top menu so users can access the events page. Well what Doc do I add this too? The default.asp or the events.asp? The FAQ is a bit confusing here.

So can anyone help me? The link for my forum is @
http://sniper.3dretreat.com/ppbcadets/forums/

thanx for your help....

Edited by - AlexT on 24 May 2001 03:56:51

Edited by - AlexT on 24 May 2001 04:55:26
Go to Top of Page

stephenholland
Starting Member

Netherlands
9 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  12:40:08  Show Profile
Alan,

I am geeting this error when I put the code that you adviced in my event_functions.asp file:

Microsoft VBScript runtime fout '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'cdate'

/csw/events_functions.asp, regel 11

Do you know what the problem is??
quote:

quote:

quote:

sorry for my bad english,

i want to use this mod in Germany
what must i do to change Monday in Montag
etc.

with greetings

Koobi

Firstly, if your server is running non-US date format, ie day/month/year instead of month/day/year this mod will not work for you at this point.

Okay now for help with translating parts of this mod. I hope to make this easier in the next internationalized release .

To get the month translated, fine all monthName functions and changed it to monthName2 in events_function.asp. Then add this to the bottom of it.

function monthName2(intMonth)
if (intMonth = 1) then monthName2 = "Enero"
if (intMonth = 2) then monthName2 = "Febrero"
if (intMonth = 3) then monthName2 = "Marzo"
if (intMonth = 4) then monthName2 = "Abril"
if (intMonth = 5) then monthName2 = "Mayo"
if (intMonth = 6) then monthName2 = "Junio"
if (intMonth = 7) then monthName2 = "Julio"
if (intMonth = 8) then monthName2 = "Agosto"
if (intMonth = 9) then monthName2 = "Septiembre"
if (intMonth = 10) then monthName2 = "Octubre"
if (intMonth = 11) then monthName2 = "Noviembre"
if (intMonth = 12) then monthName2 = "Diciembre"
end function

To change the days in the month view change this part. line 572-578 of events_functions.asp:

<td HEIGHT="20" WIDTH="14%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle"><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strDefaultFontSize %>" color="<% =strDefaultFontColor %>">Mon</td>

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource

sorry, I am very new to asp. I did read your post carefully, but couldn't find where to paste the code in events_functions.asp

can you please give an example

Go to Top of Page

stephenholland
Starting Member

Netherlands
9 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  12:40:58  Show Profile
Alan,

I am geeting this error when I put the code that you adviced in my event_functions.asp file:

Microsoft VBScript runtime fout '800a000d'
Type mismatch: 'cdate'

/csw/events_functions.asp, regel 11

Do you know what the problem is??

Hope to here from you soon.

Tim
quote:

quote:

quote:

sorry for my bad english,

i want to use this mod in Germany
what must i do to change Monday in Montag
etc.

with greetings

Koobi

Firstly, if your server is running non-US date format, ie day/month/year instead of month/day/year this mod will not work for you at this point.

Okay now for help with translating parts of this mod. I hope to make this easier in the next internationalized release .

To get the month translated, fine all monthName functions and changed it to monthName2 in events_function.asp. Then add this to the bottom of it.

function monthName2(intMonth)
if (intMonth = 1) then monthName2 = "Enero"
if (intMonth = 2) then monthName2 = "Febrero"
if (intMonth = 3) then monthName2 = "Marzo"
if (intMonth = 4) then monthName2 = "Abril"
if (intMonth = 5) then monthName2 = "Mayo"
if (intMonth = 6) then monthName2 = "Junio"
if (intMonth = 7) then monthName2 = "Julio"
if (intMonth = 8) then monthName2 = "Agosto"
if (intMonth = 9) then monthName2 = "Septiembre"
if (intMonth = 10) then monthName2 = "Octubre"
if (intMonth = 11) then monthName2 = "Noviembre"
if (intMonth = 12) then monthName2 = "Diciembre"
end function

To change the days in the month view change this part. line 572-578 of events_functions.asp:

<td HEIGHT="20" WIDTH="14%" ALIGN="center" VALIGN="middle"><font face="<% =strDefaultFontFace %>" size="<% =strDefaultFontSize %>" color="<% =strDefaultFontColor %>">Mon</td>

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource

sorry, I am very new to asp. I did read your post carefully, but couldn't find where to paste the code in events_functions.asp

can you please give an example

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  14:12:21  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
question: Was it working before you made the change?

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
www.calvsa.net
Snitz Resource
Go to Top of Page

AlexT
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  02:52:47  Show Profile
Ok, my ASP buddy says that my mod_dbsetup.asp is barfing, so I need a new mod_dbsetup.asp script. Does anyone have one that I can Download real quick and they know it works..

thanx!!

Go to Top of Page

trakfast11
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  15:35:11  Show Profile
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second thing is sort of a request. It shows the current month along with Upcoming Events and Recent Events on the main default.asp... couldn't we have "Current Events" as well. If you set up an event for a period of time, say a week, then the day after the start it becomes a "Recent event" and conversely an event for the day is in Upcoming Events. I think a third category of "current events" showing any events for the day, including ongoing ones would be ideal..... just a thought/suggestion, haven't a clue how I would implement it.

Well despite my initial fear I have managed to achieve that minor modification myself... wasn't nearly as difficult as I imagined... perhaps I'll have a go at amending more code...

Warren UK, send me a zip of the file you changed or post a link to a txt file that shows what you did to implement Current Events? Also... how do you get rid of Recent Events. I can probably figure out that second question i asked. I'll take a look at the code later. The one i'm mostly want to know is what did you have to do to make current events. Thanks

Go to Top of Page

trakfast11
Starting Member

32 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  16:49:48  Show Profile
quote:
Ok, my ASP buddy says that my mod_dbsetup.asp is barfing, so I need a new mod_dbsetup.asp script. Does anyone have one that I can Download real quick and they know it works..

thanx!!

AlexT... sure. here is the link http://micds.clanpages.com/forum/downloads/mod_dbsetup.zip

Go to Top of Page

AlexT
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  17:20:14  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

thanx!!

AlexT... sure. here is the link http://micds.clanpages.com/forum/downloads/mod_dbsetup.zip

thank you!!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07