Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

BigRigTom

United States
56 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2008 :  18:39:00  Show Profile  Visit BigRigTom's Homepage
I have found a temporary solution to the problem of embedding YouTube Videos in the topics of my Forum:

Has anyone else used this method?

[url"http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=57"]You Tube Video Embedded in Forum Topic[/url]

Is there any problems associated with the way I have done this?
Is there a KNOWN better way that does not require the poster to modify the url?

I am not an ASP programmer so I am sure some of you smarter guys have better ways of doing this, so come and share it with me and the rest of us 1/2 brains.

Tom
http://hardingersystems.com/BAT-forum/
Go to Top of Page

thelodger

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 07 March 2008 :  18:45:47  Show Profile
There is a very good youtube mod that works very well, as far as I know its on snitzbitz
Go to Top of Page

BigRigTom

United States
56 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2008 :  11:45:16  Show Profile  Visit BigRigTom's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by thelodger

There is a very good youtube mod that works very well, as far as I know its on snitzbitz

I would definitely consider it. Have not been able to find one that really does work well. Do you have the name of it or a link to the MOD code?
Some claim to work good...but that hasn't been the case so far for me.

Tom

Edited by - BigRigTom on 08 March 2008 11:46:08
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2008 :  13:01:55  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message
let me tested again in a fresh forum ...

I will post this mod nicelly later today or tomorrow tops!

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

"a Portuguese in Danmark"

Go to Top of Page

thelodger

United Kingdom
296 Posts

Posted - 08 March 2008 :  14:50:57  Show Profile
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=65477&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=youtube

I have this installed on my forum and it works very well
Go to Top of Page

Maxime
Average Member

France
521 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2008 :  05:11:06  Show Profile  Visit Maxime's Homepage
In my opinion it should be redone in full mod so that installs have no problems on the 3,406 version of this forum with all the steps to follow.

Thank you for your support

Cordially,
Maxime

Taxation consists in so plucking the goose to get the most out of feathers with the least possible cries.(Jean-Baptiste Colbert)

Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2008 :  13:30:41  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Maxime

In my opinion it should be redone in full mod so that installs have no problems on the 3,406 version of this forum with all the steps to follow.

Thank you for your support

Be my guest, and redo the entire mod.

Seriously ; there is no incompatibility I know of of this mod with 3.4.06.
This topic for instance shows how the process works: http://oxle.com/topic.asp?tid=4113&SearchTerms=embed,video

One thing to bare in mind though is that the providers of online videos, such as Google, YouTube and DailyMotion, now and then change their embedding code so that the functions I use in my code break and have to be repaired.

This sometimes happens, and YouTube and DialyMotion recently applied such a change. (They added "&rel=" to the embed tags, and to their URL....grmbl.
It took me a while to figure that out.

My mod does NOT describe the placement of the post-icons for the videos ; on oxle I have not done it via that method, but I used a dropdown menu instead.

My mod works with this simple mechanism:
- provide tags in the forumcode, inbetween which you can either post a URL to a specific media type, or an embed code from YouTube, DailyMotion or MetaCafe (that last one still needs work...)
- provide functions to check the tags, convert them to a HTML JavaScript call upon displaying the page.
- provide a javascript file (video.js), that answers the javascript calls to correctly make valid HTML out of the URL's and embedcode's posted.

The most tricky part of this mod is to be sure you are not allowing any cross site scripting by allowing the users to post embedcode or URL's.

That's what the checks are for in video.js and in the functions in inc_func_common.asp. That's also why I don't simply allow the embed-code to be posted directly.

In terms of files, two files are important:
inc_func_common.asp ; contains all the media-tag-functions (as explained here, but also needs to be changed to allow URL's to be posted between the media-tags without them being converted to a hyperlink.
video.js ; the javascript functions.
Finally, the header files (inc_header.asp and inc_header_short.asp) are adjusted to load the video.js file.

With this in mind the mod is actually quite simple, and I think that Bruno's remark is correct ; it only needs to be written up correctly. It does not need any redoing for 3.4.06.

What I do think however is that the mod should not be written with linenumbers etc ; it should be logical why one needs to put a piece of code somewhere, and why it should be put behind this or that.
That explanation is what will enable us all to learn something, not a linenumber.

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter

Edited by - MarcelG on 10 March 2008 13:43:17
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2008 :  21:46:53  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message
I just updated the MOD into Snitz Bitz ...

please follow up this topic for more information

P.S. Sorry for the delayed but I add coffee to my keyboard and half of it does not work anymore

you can imagine my frustration ... I was just watching Top Gear on You tube and I needed to cof ... Bad idea!!!

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2008 :  07:31:32  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
That is a sad sight indeed. My condolences.
Go to Top of Page

Maxime
Average Member

France
521 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2008 :  14:38:39  Show Profile  Visit Maxime's Homepage
MarcelG Excuse me, I may not be expressed, I visited your site and tried to set up mode, I saw no icon on the form to launch video. Maybe I was wrong about how to put the codes on different pages.
There are also I think another location on your site that talks about it and I am not very gifted in asp, if any.

Thank you for your work

Cordially,
Maxime

Taxation consists in so plucking the goose to get the most out of feathers with the least possible cries.(Jean-Baptiste Colbert)

Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2008 :  15:32:06  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message
there is nothing about "the icons", that part I made it!

Marcel did the "big" work of getting from [ tube] [/ tube] to put the right code in the message...

Javascript (for the icon click events) and Icons... it's all me

that's why I lunched the MOD together with the Marcel's code, and off course with his consent, so we can combine nice icons with click events like the others on Snitz by default and the great work from Marcel.

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Edited by - balexandre on 11 March 2008 15:45:17
Go to Top of Page

BigRigTom

United States
56 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2008 :  18:20:52  Show Profile  Visit BigRigTom's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by balexandre

there is nothing about "the icons", that part I made it!

Marcel did the "big" work of getting from [ tube] [/ tube] to put the right code in the message...

Javascript (for the icon click events) and Icons... it's all me

that's why I lunched the MOD together with the Marcel's code, and off course with his consent, so we can combine nice icons with click events like the others on Snitz by default and the great work from Marcel.

Thanks Bruno and Marcel both for all your hard work and efforts.

I am still struggling along with this MOD and I still have tweeks to finish getting it all working as intended.

If I may suggest, Bruno in your MOD maybe you could include a text file of instructions on how to go about inserting the various codes into which files and which files of the MOD are just uploaded to the forum directory as is. Once I get everything installed and working correctly I will gladly go back and give you guys a great review on this MOD. It is already amazing and getting better all the time.

I like many users of the Snitz Forum am just knowledgible enough to be dangerous. Thanks again for a GREAT MOD.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2008 :  02:35:33  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message
BigRigTom: Did you check the new MOD??

follow by clicking in the Online videos (Youtube, Google video, Flash, Quicktime, etc) from my signature you will get that and more

or just pay attention to the forum MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Edited by - balexandre on 13 March 2008 02:37:27
Go to Top of Page

BigRigTom

United States
56 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2008 :  19:25:08  Show Profile  Visit BigRigTom's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by balexandre

BigRigTom: Did you check the new MOD??

follow by clicking in the Online videos (Youtube, Google video, Flash, Quicktime, etc) from my signature you will get that and more

or just pay attention to the forum MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)

Bruno I must apologize, you probably don't believe it but I DID check the MOD before my last post and I must of not been wearing my glasses because I did not see that html file.

I SEE it now though

GREAT JOB and sorry again for not seeing it the 1st time.
I still have to update my forum with your instruction yet and it looks like it should be a snap.

I'll probably do that over the week end when I have some piece and quite and no intruptions for the phones. Then I promise to come back and give you a GREAT REVIEW because I know how much work you and Marcel have put into this thing.....just so bozo's like me can take advantage of it.

Tom
Go to Top of Page

balexandre

Denmark
418 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2008 :  04:04:40  Show Profile  Visit balexandre's Homepage  Send balexandre an ICQ Message
no worries
cause I did all nicelly and I was just kind'a "Did I miss anything?"

Bruno Alexandre
(Strøby, DANMARK)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07