New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2004 :  11:45:51  Show Profile
Just downloaded this Mod today, since uploading the asp files & changing the strings as instructed, members after posting find that the screen freezes & will not return to the forum page.

It says in the read me files to upload the image files. Where are they??

Could someone please advise

Wrong forum - moving to correct forum

Edited by - lockstock1 on 12 February 2004 15:33:37

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2004 :  14:05:06  Show Profile
You need to place this type of question in the Help: MOD Implementation.

From what you are saying it happens on post.asp and that file is not touched by Private Messages. Just out of curiosity, did you run the dbs_PrivateMessages.asp (Private Messages Mod (Default)) file since modifing the config.asp? Can you also post a link to a text version of inc_icons.asp, topic.asp and pop_profile? Just want to see if you got the lines right or not.

The image files are the .gif and the .jpg and should go in the same place as your other forum images.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2004 :  15:20:56  Show Profile
David,

You tell me how to do it & i'll post a link.

Got the Data base set-up.

Uploaded the icons_iconfiles asp but do not know if they have reached the right desination.

Do they automatically get uploaded into the right folder, or do you have to create an Images folder?

The private messages is still not working.

There is still a problem after members post an ordinary message into the forum.

quote:
did you run the dbs_PrivateMessages.asp (Private Messages Mod (Default)) file since modifing the config.asp?

Do you mean did I update it. ?? Yes!!

Edited by - lockstock1 on 12 February 2004 16:01:49
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  04:09:58  Show Profile
For some reason I cannot post the pop_profile
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  04:49:06  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Please do not post the content of your files here, but do as David suggested above:
[quote]Can you also post a link to a text version of inc_icons.asp, topic.asp and pop_profile?[/quote

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  06:38:27  Show Profile
quote:
Please do not post the content of your files here, but do as David suggested above:
[quote]Can you also post a link to a text version of inc_icons.asp, topic.asp and pop_profile?[/quote

Oneway,

This is wearing a bit thin,matey.

David's post was 12hrs ago, & no one has come back to me since. I am getting pi55ed about from pillar to post.

If you see in my original post, I asked how to post a link to the afore mentioned files.

I have also asked for help on the following-

Problem with the Private Messages Mod.(Not working)

Forum page not returning automatically after a member posts.

At present, one unhappy bunny, user of a snitz forum board that is mal-functioning
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  07:29:49  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
If you see in my original post, I asked how to post a link to the afore mentioned files.

Open the files (inc_icons.asp, topic.asp and pop_profile.asp) in a text editor, save them as .txt, upload it to your webspace and post the links here.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  07:34:37  Show Profile
save yhe files as text files, upload them to your server, and provide us with the url to the files

please edit your above posts so that the entire file is not posted (makes it hard to read the topic).

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  08:55:22  Show Profile
ok.

Put the files into a word document & uploaded them.

What now?

Haven't a clue what the URL is. I assume that it will be my website/

Edited by - lockstock1 on 13 February 2004 10:49:52
Go to Top of Page

NorwegianViking

Denmark
119 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:00:21  Show Profile  Visit NorwegianViking's Homepage
What is an URL
An URL is the address to a website or a file within your website, as shown in the Address fields in your browser.
If your forum is located at www.yourdomain.com and your textfile is in /Forum, the link (URL) to your pop_profile.txt would be www.yourdomain.com/forum/pop_profile.txt

Frustrations
Remember that the people here is here on a non-paid basis. Most people have a life besides Snitz... You have no right to expect quick response, or any answer at all. Letting your frustrations out will more likely result in no help...
The more info you give, and the more clearly you describe your problem, the easier it is to help you.
AND IT MIGHT HELP IF YOU DON'T POST THE SAME QUESTION SEVERAL PLACES.

Images
As david said, this is *.gif and *.jpg files. When you unzipped the .zip files, there should be a bunch of these in that directory.
The MOD documentation refers to the image directory as the place where you store your image files (gif, jpg's) for the buttons etc. This is normally the same directory as your forum files, or another directory if YOU have created this.
So, upload these files to the same directory as your forumfiles. (I assume you haven't made a special directory for your image files)

Your problem with PM
Two possible causes;

1. You have messed up when you added code in some files. PM requires a LOT of changes, and it is easy to do something wrong

2. The users having the Freeze problem is using Norton Internet Security. In that case, it is not PM's fault.

Do all users get this freeze situation?

Addition:
Lock, after spending 45 minutes to compiling this effort to help you, I get pissed to see that you have posted the same question in another thread, got some answers, and not even bothered to update this topic. Sorry mate, no more help from me.

kind regards
NorwegianViking

Mod installation for beginners | User registration problems?

Edited by - NorwegianViking on 13 February 2004 12:15:34
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  12:55:33  Show Profile
quote:
Remember that the people here is here on a non-paid basis. Most people have a life besides Snitz... You have no right to expect quick response, or any answer at all. Letting your frustrations out will more likely result in no help...
The more info you give, and the more clearly you describe your problem, the easier it is to help you.

I am well aware of the status of the individuals on this board. If someone takes the time to respond in the first place, there for engaging in dialouge, I do have an expectation of a reply. Have you ever had a one sided telephone conversation??

I've been as coincise as possible with my questions & answers & have every right to be pi55ed off with the inept patchy feed back I have received thus far

There are two seperate issues

1) The installation of a Mod Private Message ( not working)

2) The freezing or non-return of the forum screen after members have posted a message.

I have been informed that they are not linked, although the freezing/ non-return problem occured at the same time as the introduction of the MODS.

The more than one question running issue is easily answered, there is more than one issue

quote:
What is an URL
An URL is the address to a website or a file within your website, as shown in the Address fields in your browser.
If your forum is located at www.yourdomain.com and your textfile is in /Forum, the link (URL) to your pop_profile.txt would be www.yourdomain.com/forum/pop_profile.txt

Viking.

The question wasn't "what is an URL"

NB The question was What is the URL as in for locating the file I had uploaded.

Edited by - lockstock1 on 13 February 2004 13:08:22
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:07:39  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by lockstock1

I've been as coincise as possible with my questions & answers & have every right to be pi55ed off with the inept patchy feed back I have received thus far

You still haven't posted the files as we requested.
NorvegianViking posted an exellent description so you should be able to do that.
Also, please answer our questions if you want to get help instead of complaining about the quality of support.

quote:
You have messed up when you added code in some files. PM requires a LOT of changes, and it is easy to do something wrong

Did you double check the changes you made during the installation of the MOD?

quote:
Do all users get this freeze situation?

quote:
Put the files into a word document & uploaded them.

Open the files (inc_icons.asp, topic.asp and pop_profile.asp) in a text editor, save them as .txt, upload it to your webspace and post the links here.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:21:39  Show Profile
Oneway,

Most of you guys on here seem to be computer whizz kids, but that is not the case for everyone.

What might appear to you & your colleagues to be straight forward & elementary to you is not that straight forward to others such as myself. In addition to that I spent a solid twelve hours yesterday trying to work thru' the problem & further 4 hrs today & so far have not got anywhere.

I think this is what you need, but I have just tried it & it brings up an error page.

Anyhow,

http://www.leedsu-forum.org.uk/forum/pop_profile.asp

Is this right??
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:47:26  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
How do you upload your files?
Where did you upload it (to the root directory or into a folder)?
And again, change the file extension from .asp to .txt (so you'll have inc_icons.txt, topic.txt and pop_profile.txt), otherwise we're unable to view the source of those files.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:52:51  Show Profile
quote:
How do you upload your files?
Where did you upload it (to the root directory or into a folder)?
And again, change the file extension from .asp to .txt (so you'll have inc_icons.txt, topic.txt and pop_profile.txt), otherwise we're unable to view the source of those files.

My apologies, Oneway,

I missed the txt. bit.

Uploaded it to the root directory, in this case htdocs.

Uploaded the files by first putting into a word document.

Locating the word document & dragging it in to Leech ftp.

(But as you state, with the wrong suffix on the end. )

I'll try again Back in a jiffy.
Go to Top of Page

lockstock1

83 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:56:01  Show Profile
In addition,

looking at the database set up .

there are 3 red entries stating that either -the table exists & column already exists. Does this indicate a mistake somewhere?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07