Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 New System Info
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  01:11:37  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
I am a Mac user but I am thinking of getting a small pc system for testing internet sites. I would mainly use this system just to test sites I create on another platform. I would probably also use it when I needed to use the Macromedia Author-ware plugin since this plugin is very buggy on the mac side. The internet access would be dsl via ethernet network.

What configuration would everyone recommend?
What about minimum cpu?
Graphics?
Memory?
Any brands to stay away from or look out for?
Price?

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  04:04:29  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
what you need to decide is haow much you want to spend, otherwise it is a bit of a stab in the dark as to what to tell you.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  04:12:40  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
You won't need anything special, I'd get something very cheap.

I've used a Pentium 100MHz Notebook running Win98 (cant remember the other specs) about 2 years for mainly site development.

You migh also check what software you're going to use and what system requirements it has.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  04:16:20  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
I think I would like to keep it around $600 US since this machine would not be used much. I have an old 100mhz pentium 1 laptop but the low memory, slow speed and small screen make it not very useful.
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  15:02:10  Show Profile
For $600 you can get a decent box (If you build it).

I'd highly recommend custom building if you have anyone that can help you. If you MUST go brand-name, stay away from Gateway and E-Machines. I'd go with HP myself.

Really consider custom building though, your money won't go very far with a retail computer.

Make sure you get 512MB RAM or more, and Go with Windows Xp Pro
Go to Top of Page

RebelTech
Average Member

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  15:54:27  Show Profile  Visit RebelTech's Homepage  Send RebelTech an ICQ Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave.

For $600 you can get a decent box (If you build it).

I'd highly recommend custom building if you have anyone that can help you. If you MUST go brand-name, stay away from Gateway and E-Machines. I'd go with HP myself.

Really consider custom building though, your money won't go very far with a retail computer.

I used to build them back in the late 80's and very early 90's. Unless PCs have undergone a very dramatic change since then I think I could give it a go.

I used to buy the parts through a wholesaler. I guess nowadays you would just search the internet and find prices just as cheap!

Because of my Mac tendencies, I think I would feel a lot better with XP. Would you recommend pro over home for the little I would be doing? I already have a copy of 98 that I could use if I had to.

Going with XP, what would be the minimum mhz and ram that you would recommend?

Just caught this
quote:

Edited by - RebelTech on 19 December 2003 15:55:35
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  17:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
It doesn't matter what your doing, I recomend pro over home.

I have so many people ask me 'why can't I do that with my computer' and I'm like, its because you have XP Home. And their all 'oh . . . '

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  17:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Oh, and start here -> www.pricewatch.com

Nathan Bales
CoreBoard | Active Users Download
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  18:08:03  Show Profile
I got all my stuff from NewEgg.com .

It doesn't matter what your doing, Get XP Pro.

Min CPU Mhz? Well, it all figures out once you start picking stuff out, I'd get my HDD, Case, PSU, CD/DVD, (Monitor if you need one), OS (XP Pro Full Version on NewEgg for $140), Keyboard, Mouse etc before you get your Motherboard, RAM and CPU.

CPUs aren't all that expensive, I'm an AMD guy, so I'd go with an XP 2600+/333Mhz FSB. The 2600+ is 2.1Ghz Clock speed. You can get them for around $100 on NewEgg. In benchmarks I've seen the 2600+ is equal to or better than the Intel P4 2.66GHz/533Mhz FSB.

About Win98... I have my old Win98 SE CD; but It won't install on my computer, I'm thinking it's because I have a Gig of DDR RAM or maybe my OverClocked 2600+ (2.5GHz)...
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  18:34:59  Show Profile
I just got a Dell 2400 p4 2.4g 80gb CD-R and CD-RW drives, 128mb, modem, MS Office 2003 Basic and XP Pro for right at $400.00 delivered after rebate. I added 512mb RAM for about 60.00 and it's a nice box for the price.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  18:44:49  Show Profile
Wow Doug, that's a great deal!
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  21:59:29  Show Profile
It was a special a couple weeks back on the dell website. They often have great deals.

The same box is $499 right now including a 17" monitor (I got mine monitorless). They regularly have special deals.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/advertised_dimen?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07