Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Best acapella group
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ngaisteve1

Malaysia
241 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2003 :  20:53:06  Show Profile  Send ngaisteve1 an ICQ Message
I began to like acappella when I became a Christian because this church of mine sings acapella. Since they are not professional singer, they learn mostly by imitation and one of the best, they always imitate is GLAD group. Anyone of you guys out there knows any other similar acappella group which is as good as GLAD or even better?

I also like REAL GROUP, VOX BOP (funny) and The Alley Cats.

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2003 :  22:14:27  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by ngaisteve1

I began to like acappella when I became a Christian because this church of mine sings acapella. Since they are not professional singer, they learn mostly by imitation and one of the best, they always imitate is GLAD group. Anyone of you guys out there knows any other similar acappella group which is as good as GLAD or even better?

I also like REAL GROUP, VOX BOP (funny) and The Alley Cats.

The Cats are my boys! The tenor of the group, Sean Devine used to sing in my barbershop chorus and sang in an acapella group called Trademark at the local amusement park. I did their website for quite a while....They were awesome. I still listen to their CD every couple weeks.

Some other groups I can think of off hand are Rockapella, the Coats (used to be the trenchcoats but changed after Columbine) and DaVinci's Notebook.

Another thing you might want to check out, if you'll let me expound on my hobby, is barbershop. Four-part harmony, all acapella. What sets barbershop off from the rest is the melody is in the second tenor and relies heavily on the barbershop 7th, which will create and under or overtone to in essence create a fifth voicing from four parts. Very Cool!

There are a number of talented groups that sing barbershop. In quartetting, some of the big name active quartets are Acoustix, Power Play, Wheelhouse, Max Q, Four Voices (these guys are AWESOME) and the list can go on and on. There is also choral music from groups like the Vocal Majority(Dallas Tx), Alexandria Harmonizers(Alexandria VA), Masters of Harmony(LosAngeles CA) and TNT (Chicago, IL). There are also womens and mixed quartets too, though I'll admit I'm not into them as much....

Since I noticed you said you were a Christian, you can check out the Good News Quartet which is all gospel music in the barbershop style. A little old fashioned in style, but still good music. Or, even though they are not acappella, try the Voices of Lee from Lee University in Tennessee. This is the group the Four Voices came from, and they never fail to bring a tear to my eye when I hear one of their performances!

If you need more specific info or just want to hear more, just let me know

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

ngaisteve1

Malaysia
241 Posts

Posted - 16 December 2003 :  23:09:33  Show Profile  Send ngaisteve1 an ICQ Message
Wow! Seems to be you have more passion in singing or music than I do. Are you a singer yourself? I like singing a lot too. I'm in my church choir. I sang bass. By the way, barbershop is one type of acappella, isn't? and what is the meaning of quartet?
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  08:43:57  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Yes, I'm a singer.

I sing lead (2nd tenor) in my barbershop chorus and am looking to start my next quartet, probably sometime after the new year. I've been singing since 5th grade, heavily since high school. I've sang all the male parts(1st & 2nd tenor, baritone and bass) at some point in time, and was part of the US national collegiate champion chorus in 1992.

Yes, barbershop is just one type of acappella group. There are also gospel, doo-wop and other facets of acapella singing. I just prefer barbershop over all of them, but thats just personal opinion.

Quartet is a group of four people singing together, each singing a different voice part. In Barbershop, those parts are tenor, lead, baritone and bass. Lead typically sings the melody, the bass sings the low root or fifth of the chord, tenor typically doubles either the lead or bass, and the baritone takes whatever is needed to complete the chord.

Here are some links if you'd like to know more:
SPEBSQSA, Inc - The barbershop harmony society. There are links to the other organizations from around the world.
The Encore Show - a New Zealand Internet radio site which plays nothing but barbershop
CASA - The contemporary acapella society. For all things, including those not barbershop.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak

Edited by - davemaxwell on 17 December 2003 08:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  09:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I used to listen to the group called Acappella all the time. I've sang in several "thrown-together" quartets and sang some of their songs. I sing the low, low bass usually although I sing tenor sometimes (not really high tenor). My vocal range is about 2.5 octaves but I like to sing bass mostly. About 5 years ago I sang in a community theater production of the Pirates of Penzance and they casted me as one of the tenor pirates. That was a stretch for me and that was really the first time I had ever sang tenor.

I also used to listen to Glad and I especially like their Acapella project CDs although I haven't listened to them in years. I used to see Glad, Acappella, and AVB in concert whenever they came to my area. I used to have a tape with Rockapella and the Mint Juleps and other artists on it but I don't know where it is.

Last Christmas we got a quartet together to sing Jingle Bells out of one of the SPEBSQSA books. WE sang it for church and at a banquet that Kirk Cameron was speaking at. It was kind of fun.

Participate in my nonsense
Go to Top of Page

ngaisteve1

Malaysia
241 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  11:47:02  Show Profile  Send ngaisteve1 an ICQ Message
Wow! I must be dreaming to meet a singer here. I like singing a lot. Recently, I'm leading a my group of choir for a performance. A play, basically some acting plus some singing. The song we plan to sing is Stand by Me, originally sang by Ben E. King. Though we called ourselves choir, actually our singing skill is still very grin and raw. But, I believe as time goes by when we put much effort to learn, we will improve. The problem right now is to delegate role for them. I also need to get the 'parts' like maybe alto sing this part and so on. And this moment, what we planned is the bass will be doing the drum, then one male vocal sing a melody and when come to chorus, all sing together and second stanza, one sing melody and others do humming and the bass will continue with the drum. Fuhh, I felt really burden coz this Sunday will be the audition. We do it for year end banquet. Please you can give me some advice. What's best to do for me at this time? Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Bookie

I used to listen to the group called Acappella all the time. I've sang in several "thrown-together" quartets and sang some of their songs. I sing the low, low bass usually although I sing tenor sometimes (not really high tenor). My vocal range is about 2.5 octaves but I like to sing bass mostly. About 5 years ago I sang in a community theater production of the Pirates of Penzance and they casted me as one of the tenor pirates. That was a stretch for me and that was really the first time I had ever sang tenor.

Bookie, what do you mean by "thrown-together" quartets. How do you range your vocal range? I mean how do you know it's 2.5 octaves. I heard Mariah Carey can reach 8 octaves and lastly tenor pirates means?
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  15:06:10  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
ngaisteve1,

I'm not sure what you're asking me, so I'm not going to throw a bunch of stuff at you at the second. Are you asking me for tips on how to audition, or tips on how to get them to sing together? or something totally different? If you could give me a better idea of what you're asking, then I'll try to give you some advice. I'm sure I can get you going in the right direction, but just need to know where to start.

quote:

:
Last Christmas we got a quartet together to sing Jingle Bells out of one of the SPEBSQSA books.

I'll be singing that this weekend at our annual Christmas show. One of the easier pieces we do, and since I'm singing lead it's even easier since it's melody

My range is a little larger than yours, somewhere around 3.5 octaves, but most of mine is in the upper register. I can sing all four parts most times, but once it gets two lines above the treble clef or below the bass cleff, I'm in trouble. And since my whole range is full voice, I stray away from tenor since I would need more falsetto than anything else.

I'm not surprised they stuck you on tenor in the musical. My experience, at least in barbershop is that basses have a natural falsetto and usually make the best tenors.

quote:

Bookie, what do you mean by "thrown-together" quartets. How do you range your vocal range? I mean how do you know it's 2.5 octaves. I heard Mariah Carey can reach 8 octaves and lastly tenor pirates means?

Thrown together quartets are essentially four guys getting together and just asking "Hey, you want to sing a song together?" No formal coaching or anything like that. Usually just for fun.

Measuring vocal range means singing scales and determining how much you can sing with good quality. I'd say the average person has around 2-3 octaves of good quality vocal range. I'd say the statement that Mariah Carey can hit 8 octaves to be ludicrous. I'd give her 5, but I'd even consider that a stretch.

tenor pirate simply refers to the part he was playing (pirate) and what voice part he was singing (tenor) in the musical (Pirates of Penzance).

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak

Edited by - davemaxwell on 17 December 2003 15:07:51
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  15:38:46  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Dave,
I think the reason I was cast as a tenor in P of P was because of my audition... I sang a song which featured the higher register of my voice. Everything I sang was in full voice and not falsetto. Most vocal musicians (not trained, professionals, though) I have met only have about a 1.5-2 octave range so I think a 2.5 is above normal and your 3.5 is exceptional. If I were to throw my falsetto voice in the mix I would be about 3.5 octaves. I think you live around Philly... maybe I'll come check out one of your performances sometime since I live about 2 hours north of you. I could probably get a couple people to come with me.

ngaisteve1,
Dave answered accurately all questions addressed to me.

Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  16:53:22  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Dave,
I think the reason I was cast as a tenor in P of P was because of my audition... I sang a song which featured the higher register of my voice. Everything I sang was in full voice and not falsetto. Most vocal musicians (not trained, professionals, though) I have met only have about a 1.5-2 octave range so I think a 2.5 is above normal and your 3.5 is exceptional. If I were to throw my falsetto voice in the mix I would be about 3.5 octaves. I think you live around Philly... maybe I'll come check out one of your performances sometime since I live about 2 hours north of you. I could probably get a couple people to come with me.

Actually, I live near Harrisburg, not Philly. Where exactly do you live? There are a couple real good groups on the eastern side of the state: The Mainliners out of Bryn Mawr and The Brothers In Harmony our of Easton. Both groups are very good. I'd recommend them both.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

ngaisteve1

Malaysia
241 Posts

Posted - 17 December 2003 :  21:50:09  Show Profile  Send ngaisteve1 an ICQ Message
hmm... much to ask but perhaps just want to ask about song arrangement. eg, for the first stanza, the bass make background sound, then one lead (sing melody). then what about the rest? should I reduce the number of people who involve? currently got 3 bass, 1 tenor (lead), 3 alto, 2 soprano.

by the way, do you know any good forum related to singing, acapella or something similiar? i have so many questions to ask but this is still not the most suitable forum i guess.
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  00:05:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Dave, I live in Clarks Summit which is just north of Scranton. Clarks Summit is the end of the northeast extension of the PA turnpike (476). I81 runs right by here also.

Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  09:12:23  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
quote:

hmm... much to ask but perhaps just want to ask about song arrangement. eg, for the first stanza, the bass make background sound, then one lead (sing melody). then what about the rest? should I reduce the number of people who involve? currently got 3 bass, 1 tenor (lead), 3 alto, 2 soprano.

Hmmm. Without seeing the actual arrangement, those are some hard questions. Is it written for one voice or multiple? If multiple, is it written for mixed voices(male&female) or is it for one voice type. Is it accompanied or acappella? Your basic plan sounds OK, and in the end it's up to you as the director to choose how you want to present the song in a fashion you see as being the best way to convey the message.

As for the voicing, I think you may find that you might have to shift one of your altos down onto the tenor part to create some balance. The balance typically works out 1:2:2:4 (for each soprano, two altos, two tenors and four basses). You're pretty close except for in the tenor part, and the low altos should be able to help out on the tenor if it doesn't go too low. If not, you may have to shift a bass up, though I would try hard not to do that since you need more people on the lower parts since the lower parts have a larger wavelength and as such need more power to create a balanced sound.

quote:

by the way, do you know any good forum related to singing, acapella or something similiar? i have so many questions to ask but this is still not the most suitable forum i guess.

I don't know of any that aren't barbershop related, unfortunately. There is a newsgroup, rec.music.a-cappella, you can try but I can't vouch for it. Another place to try is yahoogroups.com, but I don't know of any specific groups that might help you out.

There are some good basic vocalization tips on this site: http://www.vocaluniverse.com/

You could try the forum on this site: http://www.rarb.org/

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  09:18:35  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Dave, I live in Clarks Summit which is just north of Scranton. Clarks Summit is the end of the northeast extension of the PA turnpike (476). I81 runs right by here also.

Boy, you're up there, aren't you?

According to MSN, the closest to you would be Easton about 70 miles away. They're a smaller group, but entertaining.

A third option if you're up for a road trip is the Big Apple Chorus out of Manhattan. They're a large group, VERY good and very entertaining. Most of their stuff is written/arranged by either their director or their assistant director.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

ngaisteve1

Malaysia
241 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  20:39:58  Show Profile  Send ngaisteve1 an ICQ Message
Davemaxwell, thanks for all guidance. I felt so privileged to get guidance from a veteran like you and you too, bookie. Both of you guys are awesome. Yeah, some more questions. Have you watched Sister Act II before? If you can remember, during the last scene, Rita was singing solo "Joyful joyful" song. I'm very impressed by it. I just want to ask What type of singing style is that called? And then another one about quartet, you mentioned is just 4 person. Then, is there any conductor? If no, will there be any problem? Perhaps they discuss in advance and know what to do.
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
It's been a while since I've seen Sister Act II, so I honestly don't know but would venture to guess gospel.

No, there is no conductor. The basic concept is they've practiced the number so many times, they know how to perform it. The lead then "leads" (hence the name) the performance and the others tune to him and match his performance. Often times, though, the tempo is driven by the bass part, and that typically is true in a majority of the performance styles.

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2003 :  23:07:15  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
If you want to see more examples of the barberhop style (and see how quartets perform), then check out this video: http://www.spebsqsa.org/web/groups/public/documents/native/id_059143.asx

It explains very well the hobby that has consumed me for the past eight years.....

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07