Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Lightweight encryption Function?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  18:33:21  Show Profile
I'm working on a VB Project and I need an Encryption/Decryption Function. I need to store User Login info in a text file. I don't want it to be just plain text, so if anyone has a lightweight (Small and won't kill the CPU) function I could use that'd be great!

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  23:25:45  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
why not just use the SHA256 encryption that snitz uses? there is a vb version of this that you can download here:

http://www.frez.co.uk/freecode.htm#sha256

I've used this will all my VB apps the last year and it works great.

Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  23:44:52  Show Profile
quote:
The zip file contains both VB6 and ASP (VBScript) versions of code for generating a SHA-256 'digest' or 'signature' of a string. The SHA-256 algorithm is one of the industry standard methods for generating digital signatures. It is generically known as a digest, digital signature, one-way encryption, hash or checksum algorithm. A common use for SHA-256 is for password encryption as it is one-way in nature, that does not mean that your passwords are not free from a dictionary attack.

I need it to be two-way.

But I found a script on This Page.

[Note]
I realize that I could just encrypt the password I want to check against with SHA-256, but I'd be looping through hundreds of users...Too much strain on my Servers' CPU.
[/Note]

PS: That was the first thing I thought of
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2003 :  23:48:16  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I missed the Decrypt part in your request. I have an Encrypt/Decrypt script as well, but it looks like you found one.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07