New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  10:51:56  Show Profile
I just put up a forum for my home town and I would like to find a way to make it easy for people to upload and post pictures.

What would be the best way? I'm thinking I should make some kind of FTP area but I don't know how to do it or where to start.

The alternative is to have them email me the pictures and I'll build a webpage but I would like to make it self service.

Most of the people that will be using this forum have just learned how to turn their computers on so it has to be simple for them.

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  11:11:45  Show Profile
why did you post this here?

Nikkol ~ Help Us Help You | ReadMe | 3.4.03 fixes | security fixes ~
Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  11:48:41  Show Profile
Well I didn't know where else to post it and I know that some forums like PHPBB have an area that allows you to upload pictures.

I hoped someone would give me a suggestion. Maybe there is already a mod available that I don't know about. Or maybe some sort of FTP could be built into future versions.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  11:51:46  Show Profile
there are already MODs available. That's why there is a MOD w/ Code forum. There's also a handy little feature called 'search'.

Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  12:03:01  Show Profile
Yes but search for FTP brings up 6 pages of unrelated material. It would be nice if I knew what I should be searching for.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  12:07:11  Show Profile
<sigh> did you try searching for "upload pictures"

Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  13:02:47  Show Profile
Ok... on uploading pictures it talks about some mods for uploading files, but I don't want people to be able to upload any file only pictures. Besides I'd really rather not have to ad any mods because every time I do they never work. I will consider this as a last resort though.

I also noticed a photo gallery mod but the test page for it doesn't even work so I'm afraid to use that.

What I'd rather do is have a program that I can upload to my web page somewhere else to allow people to be able to upload pictures and then use them in posts.

Can somebody please point me in the right direction? I'm completely lost.

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  13:26:17  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Ok... on uploading pictures it talks about some mods for uploading files, but I don't want people to be able to upload any file only pictures.

Both file attachment MODs have the feature to allow/disallow certain file types AFAIK, so you could restrict uploaded files to .gif, .jpg and so on.
quote:
Besides I'd really rather not have to ad any mods because every time I do they never work. I will consider this as a last resort though.

There are a lot of people here who are willing to helpon installing MODs. Just take a look at the Help: MOD Implementation Forum.
quote:
I also noticed a photo gallery mod but the test page for it doesn't even work so I'm afraid to use that.[/url]
Many people are using it, I wouldn't be afraid to install it just because the demo site is down.
[quote]What I'd rather do is have a program that I can upload to my web page somewhere else to allow people to be able to upload pictures and then use them in posts.

If you just want a upload scripts, do a Google Search.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz

Edited by - OneWayMule on 26 June 2003 13:26:38
Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  15:31:21  Show Profile
Thanks... I have never gotten a mod to work yet.

I just tried to add Mikes File mod... I was hoping to get this one to work as it's supposed to be a very easy mod. But when I tested it to upload a picture file it tried to put it in a www.yourname... directory instead of the proper website. I've looked thru all the files and can't find how this happened or where to tell it the right directory.

The test post I made is at www.wishram.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11" target="_blank">http://www.wishram.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11

Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  15:43:00  Show Profile
You obviously have to configure something to tell it where to upload. Also, you have forum code turned off, which will make it very hard to insert pictures in your posts.

Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  15:43:16  Show Profile
You need to enable forum code Admin section --> Feature configuration and also turn on allow images in posts.

And you need to enter in your forum URL in admin section --> Mail forum configuration.
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  15:48:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
It looks like the upload worked but the configuration of your forum (mentioned above) isn't right.

http://www.wishram.com/uploaded/surfsteve/2003626143941_oregonbeige2.jpg

Participate in my nonsense
Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  15:57:20  Show Profile
So I can't upload files unless I disable HTML?
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  16:02:43  Show Profile
You can, but you'll need to change the text that is inserted and use html rather than forum code.

BTW ... it's a very bad idea to enable HTML if you have a public forum.

Edited by - Nikkol on 26 June 2003 16:03:17
Go to Top of Page

surfsteve

90 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  16:30:18  Show Profile
I temporarily changed it back to forum code from HTML and it works but doesn't put the picture in like I expected but instead a paperclip icon that displays it when you click on it from the post.

I know HTML is a bad idea and I don't have it enabled on my larger forums but am chancing it on this forum because it's going to be a small group.

What I wanted was for people to be able to upload files and copy pictures to paste into an editor like frontpage. If I have to I will go back to forum code.

Is there another MOD that might work better or a better way to do this? I saw a photo gallery mod somewhere that looked pretty interesting and I also noticed there is an add on to mikes mod. (a mod within a mod?) that I was thinking of adding.
Go to Top of Page

Nikkol
Forum Moderator

USA
6907 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2003 :  16:37:55  Show Profile
do a search ... someone showed how to edit the file attachment code to make it actually display the picture.

and as far as what you want ... you cannot copy and paste pictures into a "editor" through a normal browser window without actually uploading the picture. It just doesn't work that way. Also, you're idea for FTP wouldn't work either, because then you would have to give people an FTP username and password (or allow anonymous to upload via FTP) which is also a very bad idea. If you are not hosting your own site, I seriously doubt any host would like you to give FTP access to your site.

Edited by - Nikkol on 26 June 2003 16:38:28
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07