Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  21:27:30  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
After all I've come to a final stage with my Links Manager v3.0 project.
Unfortunately I've been and still am quite busy, but the BETA should be available in a few days (this week I hope).

I'll list the planned new features here:

- upgrading from Links Manager v2.0 possible (keep your db entries)
- links editable for admins from links.asp page (same feature for moderators coming too)
- quick list in admin area (edit/delete/approve)
- submitters are able to edit their link(s) (mylinks.asp) (to be approved again by admins/mods)
- images/descriptions not required
- all code done in response.write (of course)

that's it what I can remember now.

If you have any more ideas for additional features, let me know by replying here or simply drop me a mail.
If you would like to beta-test Links Manager v3.0, let me know (see above).

Comments appreciated.

oh, btw - thanks to everyone who sent me an email regarding the beta and sorry for the delay

[add]I'd also like to know if you liked to old design of the links manager pages, or if you have some suggestions[/add]

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz

Edited by - OneWayMule on 13 January 2003 21:57:52

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  21:49:31  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
Mule,

A few ideas:

-Allow for an email field (not mandatory)
-Allow for a phone number field (not mandatory)
-Allow for a name field (not mandatory)
-Allow for an address (street, street2, city, state, zip) field (not mandatory)
-Do not make an URL required (some people do not have sites....go figure)
-If a link/site has an URL, allow for a determination of if the link should spawn a new window or not. Allow for a default setting but allow for each link to carry its own properties.

That's it for me. Thanks for asking.

Shannon

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  21:55:24  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Shannon,

thanks for your suggestions.

quote:
-Allow for an email field (not mandatory)
-Allow for a phone number field (not mandatory)
-Allow for a name field (not mandatory)
-Allow for an address (street, street2, city, state, zip) field (not mandatory)
I don't think this is inportant information for a site, but how about adding the link to the submitter's profile?

quote:
it's a Links Manager, the purpose is to submit links to websites!

quote:
-If a link/site has an URL, allow for a determination of if the link should spawn a new window or not. Allow for a default setting but allow for each link to carry its own properties.
Great idea, something I originally wanted to do, going to implement this one now.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  22:09:59  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I can't wait to see this. While the original is fabulous the admin needed some work. I am curious about how dates will be displayed. Will the original submission date be held and an update date? Maybe an update history if it's updated several times? I think having at least the original submission date as well as the most recent update date can be useful.

How about a PM or email sent to admin when a link is submitted or an option for whether you want email or a PM?

I also was looking at altering the comment area so it more closely resembles a regular forum or is actually linked to a new topic or there is a new table for link discussion with discussion looking like a regular topic with member info, avatar blah blah blah as well as anonymous commenting.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  22:20:06  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
I am curious about how dates will be displayed. Will the original submission date be held and an update date? Maybe an update history if it's updated several times? I think having at least the original submission date as well as the most recent update date can be useful.
Currently Date Added and Last Update are included, I'll think about a update history (not sure where to put it.. ).

quote:
How about a PM or email sent to admin when a link is submitted or an option for whether you want email or a PM?
Hmm... this would be a nice feature to turn on/off, will think about that as well!

quote:
I also was looking at altering the comment area so it more closely resembles a regular forum or is actually linked to a new topic or there is a new table for link discussion with discussion looking like a regular topic with member info, avatar blah blah blah as well as anonymous commenting.
Well, it currently looks nearly similar to the comments page in Links Manager too, but this is a great idea, and fairly easy to be done!

Thanks for your suggestions, @tomic!

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  23:04:28  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
quote:

quote:
it's a Links Manager, the purpose is to submit links to websites!

I know. I know. I use it as more than a links manager. I use it like a phone book with links, some have websites some don't. You can check it out on my site at www.ridingarizona.com/forum

Shannon

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  23:05:28  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
I almost forgot....keep the rating / review system.

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 13 January 2003 :  23:15:17  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Shannon,

rating review system's still used.

Also, I'm thinking about adding a admin page where you can determine which fields can be filled in and which are required... how would you like that?

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  00:43:05  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
That would be killer!!! Sounds like an excellent mod in the making. Can't wait to see it.

Shannon

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  01:35:36  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
I suppose with the option of having whatever links you want to be required you could do almost anything with this from a joke archive to a classified ad system to a really basic personals system.

@tomic

SportsBettingAcumen.com
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  02:39:17  Show Profile
Comments (I have very few time):

* Less files, but use subs & parameters
* Please (PLEASE!) use US-ASCII UPPERCASE in SQL and in DATABASE TABLE/FIELD NAMES
* Security !
* Response.Write is NOT essential to focus

.02$

Stop the WAR!
Go to Top of Page

Ez4arab

479 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  08:55:51  Show Profile  Visit Ez4arab's Homepage
In the LM version 2 it is too difficult to move link from one cat to another cat. You have to do 3 steps to move link. I like to do this in one step like when i want to mobe topic from forum.

Ez4arab web site Ez4arab |
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  12:03:40  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
I suppose with the option of having whatever links you want to be required you could do almost anything with this from a joke archive to a classified ad system to a really basic personals system.
Yeah, you can do almost anything with it, and for most no alteration of the code would be required to do so.

quote:
* Less files, but use subs & parameters
* Please (PLEASE!) use US-ASCII UPPERCASE in SQL and in DATABASE TABLE/FIELD NAMES
* Security !
* Response.Write is NOT essential to focus
-Less Files was one of the main reasons why I wanted to upgrade (along with the fact that I hated the the way administration of links/cats/subcats has been done).
- SQL and database fields/names should be they way you want it, bozden, i'll send you the beta when it's ready so you may take a look.
- I'm always trying to produce secure code...
- all files are entirely in response.write

quote:
In the LM version 2 it is too difficult to move link from one cat to another cat. You have to do 3 steps to move link. I like to do this in one step like when i want to mobe topic from forum.
Much easier now...

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

n8pbm

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  12:30:15  Show Profile  Visit n8pbm's Homepage
When I looked at Links Manager 2 you were required to have a catagory and a sub catagory for it to work correctly. Not all my catagories have sub catagories so make the sub catagoiries an option. I want some catagories to have sub catagories and other I do not

Mike

Mike
Great Lakes Pop Up Club Camping

Edited by - n8pbm on 14 January 2003 12:31:41
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  12:37:49  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Mike,

I have a version of my Links Manager, where you can have links and subcats in a category, though it's not completely tested out, so I don't know if this feature will be in the initial 3.0 release.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

stwilson

USA
385 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2003 :  12:48:55  Show Profile  Visit stwilson's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

@tomic

Good thoughts. Suppose I wanted to use it as a link manager and I also wanted a classified ads engine or a product review engine? Can it be built so I can have two or more installs of it on the same site, each with their own settings? Sorry Mule....I had to ask

Shannon
RidingArizona.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.71 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07