New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  13:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
I posted previously in this thread... Style changer MOD
I thought as I now have code for this mod, I would put it in this forum for people to test.

A quick overview of what the MOD does:
Once installed there is a style called Default created, which the admin can edit but not delete, this is the style that non members will see.
Admins can also create new styles, edit them and delete them.
If a style is deleted, any members that were using it will be reset to the Default style.
Members can select a style when they join, and also through their profile page.
Non members cant change styles, and so can only use the Default style.

There are some things I will be adding in future releases once I have worked the bugs out of this one, see the readme for details.

Please make a backup of your forum before you install this mod, it makes a lot of changes to the database and a few of the files.

You can download my latest code here: Latest Code
You can see the code in action here: Example Forum

There are 2 test accounts set up
tempadmin/pass
tempuser/pass
Also, if you want to create your own account, email validation has now been disabled

Edited by - Serevinus on 05 September 2002 00:02:41

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  16:21:40  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Thanks for the MOD, Serevinus!

I'm looking forward to using it!!

Cheers,

Etymon
Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  16:35:53  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
Nice job. A couple suggestions for v2 (if there is one)

1) Move the style to the end of the profile. I had to hunt for it. I know I can move it myself, but I'm thinking of those that are less asp-savvy than me.
2) Provide a "preview" type of page so that you don't have to log into your profile each time to switch color schemes....

Dave Maxwell
Barbershop Harmony Freak
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  16:42:23  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
No problem Etymon

OK, I will move the style selector, I just thought it made a little more sense there
I will put the preview page on my todo list
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  17:05:03  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
The style selector has been moved now, I also changed the font size for the word "Style:" to make it look more natural (the items at the bottom of that column are smaller than the rest of the items)

The test site has been updated with the new code and the zip has been updated as well
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  17:26:35  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

Whoever was working on the ColorPicker MOD may have something you can use in regards to a preview.

Go to Top of Page

bonkers

United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  18:38:58  Show Profile  Visit bonkers's Homepage
I am trying to install this but

Step 5
Find the following line in admin_home.asp
" <LI><span class=""spnMessageText""><a href=""admin_config_style.asp"">Style Configuration</a></span></LI>" & vbNewLine & _
and replace it with
" <LI><span class=""spnMessageText""><a href=""admin_config_colors.asp"">Font/Table Color Code Configuration</a></span></LI>" & vbNewLine & _

this is the wrong way around i presume

but this has me beat

Step 7
Find both instances of this in pop_profile.asp
strSql = strSql & ", " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_AUHIDE"
and put this below both of them
strSql = strSql & ", " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_STYLE"

MEMBERS.M_AUHIDE is not in pop_profile.asp

thx bonkers
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  19:00:21  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
Sorry about that

You are right, Step 5 is the wrong way round, I'll change that in a sec

I was working on a pre modded forum when I wrote the MOD, so MEMBERS.M_AUHIDE is a part of the Active Users MOD...
The line you want to find is
strSql = strSql & ", " & strMemberTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_SIG"

Step 9 should be this
Find this in register.asp
", M_BIO, M_HOBBIES, M_LNEWS, M_QUOTE, M_SHA256 " & _
and replace it with
", M_BIO, M_HOBBIES, M_LNEWS, M_QUOTE, M_SHA256, M_STYLE " & _

Thanks for pointing that out, if you find anything else I got wrong let me know
Next time I make a mod I will do it on a fresh install of Snitz

The zip file has been updated with the new instructions now

Edited by - Serevinus on 27 August 2002 19:09:20
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  19:39:35  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
When I add the ability to have different images, I think I will do somthing like this...

I will move the "Images Location:" item from admin_config_system.asp into my admin_config_style.asp so that each style can have its own directory of images, so you can have different smilies, background images, logo image, buttons etc for each style
Having different images for each style, means you can have sets for light and dark backgrounds, removing the visible antialiasing from the image
It will also mean you can name the files the same for each style and keep them all seperate, which will make it easier for you when I write the Import/Export feature for you to swap styles
The obvious downside to this is that some images are going to be duplicated, which will use up a little more diskspace

What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by - Serevinus on 27 August 2002 19:42:48
Go to Top of Page

Immanuel

64 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  20:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Immanuel's Homepage
My thoughts are
I am realy looking forward to implement this - uh, this is the best MOD I could think of

and b.t.w.
quote:

Provide a "preview" type of page so that you don't have to log into your profile each time to switch color schemes....

You can:
1)change theme
2)update to see the theme
3)go back
and 1-2-3 again. But you have to think of this, and not all users will do this.

Immanuel
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  21:30:03  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
Awesme MOD Serevinus

You know if you provided a copy of admin_config_colors.asp with the 100's of changes made already, it would make this MOD much much easier to implement. That is the only thing preventing myself from using it as it is.

Anyone perhaps have an already modified admin_config_colors.asp file ready to share?

Thanks for the time you have taken to make this!

-Robbie

http://www.r7designer.com
Free Dreamweaver Templates and loads of help for CSS, XHTML and Web Standards.
Go to Top of Page

Serevinus

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  21:39:11  Show Profile  Visit Serevinus's Homepage  Send Serevinus an AOL message  Send Serevinus an ICQ Message  Send Serevinus a Yahoo! Message
I will add a "pre-modded" version of admin_config_colors.asp to the zip, the version I am including is from 3.4.01 so if you are replacing a file from another version of Snitz, its your risk... Also be aware that if you replace the old file with this one you will lose any changes you made to the old one

I will edit this when I have added the new file to the zip
Edit: OK, its added now, and a notice added to the instructions

Edited by - Serevinus on 27 August 2002 21:57:20
Go to Top of Page

Etymon
Advanced Member

United States
2385 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2002 :  23:23:54  Show Profile  Visit Etymon's Homepage

robbear,

Which version of the forums are you using? I may have what you need.
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2002 :  00:08:45  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
Serevinus, I am using the stock 3.4.01 so I should be ok Thank you for your time on this.

Etymon, it looks like I got what I needed from Serevinus, but thanks for the offer, I appreciate it

Robbie

Edited by - robbear7 on 28 August 2002 00:10:17
Go to Top of Page

Immanuel

64 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2002 :  07:35:00  Show Profile  Visit Immanuel's Homepage
Thanks Jim
This was a nice birthday present :)
Immanuel Kuhrt
Go to Top of Page

robbear7

106 Posts

Posted - 28 August 2002 :  09:14:38  Show Profile  Visit robbear7's Homepage  Send robbear7 an AOL message  Send robbear7 an ICQ Message  Send robbear7 a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I have the MOD up and running on my board. I havent made major changes to the color's of the board. My board uses Georgia as the default font, which is rather a bold statement. But this MOD is perfect for now I have been able to offer alternative Fonts using Arial and Verdana. Furthermore larger fonts can be used.
See it in action if you'd like:
http://www.robbear7.com/designer/forum
Of course you'd have to register to see the style's in action. (No E-mail verification needed)

-Robbie

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07