Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 MOD-Group
 MOD Add-On Forum (W/Code)
 Mod - FAQ for Moderators and Admins (beta)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 February 2003 :  11:56:37  Show Profile
Right from the start, I need to explain that this mod is mostly a combination of other's work and a few steps of my own. But no one has posted a mod like this that I can find. HuwR posted a demo of a mod that I have patterned this after, but I can't find where he posted any code for that mod. To give credit where credit is due, my base material comes from the following sources:

1. I started with the basic FAQ Mod that OneWayMule most recently posted.
    http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39479

2. HuwR's demo of his Moderators and Admin's FAQs was what I tried to acheive.
    http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8626

3. Carefree's sort capabilities were a crucial upgrade in my mind.
    http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39207

4. Lastly, I would like to recommend a mod that is not included in my changes, but which I feel goes hand in hand with my goal. Posting example icons with this mod would not be possible if KWhipp's mod "Super/Admin/Mod HTML Only MOD" was not available (this mod has now been adopted by Carefree):

http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=34866 MOD itself
    http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38849 Adoption

Having said that, I've combined all of the above for a "best of all worlds" result that gives me the ability to display moderator and admin faqs. Moderators see the Moderators's FAQ link only below the normal "home, profile, register..." link set, and Admins see both.

Based on Snitz version 3.4.03
My copy of the files (and some "screenshots" of sample content) are at http://www.geocities.com/gelliott/snitz/

This is a BETA version - fully tested on my site, but not realy sure how it will work on other's. Also, I'm guessing at the dbs setup file structure - it's probably right, but someone more knowledgable should check my work...

I fear I have little time to devote to support - does someone want to take the ball from here and run with it?

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2003 :  12:39:56  Show Profile
Nearly two months, 90 reads, and no comments. Either no one is using this but me, or it works perfectly. I doubt either is right - so does anyone have any feedback to offer? Any takers on long-term supporters?

* The optimist says the cup is half full. The pessimist says it's half empty. But the engineer knows the truth - the cup's design is incorrectly sized.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2003 :  12:53:23  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
To be honest, I haven't tried your MOD yet, though I seem it's a nice idea.
I'll post an update of the F.A.Q. MOD that includes categories and sorting of FAQs/Cats, if you're interested to use it, feel free to do so.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2003 :  23:19:16  Show Profile
I've already incorporated those changes into your mod before using it on my site (both for the generic FAQ and the moderators' and admins' faq). But I liked your faq admin screen better than Carefree's mod - I took the best of both in creating this one. I'll be interested to see what other changes you make...

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2003 :  00:03:30  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
I'll let you know as soon as it's done.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Pelle
Starting Member

24 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2003 :  14:24:24  Show Profile
Maybe I am totally wrong, but wouldn't it not be enough and add M_Level as an int (default 1) and set 2 for moderators and 3 for admins.
And then om the faq page set WHERE M_LEVEL < " & mlev & "
An dropdownlist for setting the Level when admin/editing the FAQ?

It workls for me on SQL server, havent tried it on MySQL or Access.
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  13:18:25  Show Profile
Pelle, I'm comfused about what you're asking. What would the purpose of the drop-down box be? Oh, wait - after re-reading your post several times - are you suggesting having a single Faq Admin page, and use the drop-down box to select which faq you wish to edit? That does seem more elegant.

OneWayMule, to take that thought one step further, would it be possible to add an additional field to the FAQ table, and store all the questions in one place, rather than in several places. I think the need to have three separate pages in the header is legit, mainly because I'd like to prevent a moderator from paging through lower-level questions that they hopefully know cold by now. Likewise, I don't want to clutter the admin's faq with what should be simply moderator and user-level stuff. But the admin/edit screen could easily be combined, whether we use the additional field in the table or not - I just like the idea of an additional field to prevent clutter in the database.

What do you think, OneWay?

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  13:38:10  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
In the upcoming release of the FAQ MOD this is handled this way:

- FAQs in Categories
- You can set the authentication level for each category
* Admins only
* Admins, Moderators
* All (registered) users
* All visitors

Let me know what you think of it.

And I'm not sure what you mean with:
quote:
and store all the questions in one place, rather than in several places.
?

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Go to Top of Page

gelliott

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2003 :  15:04:59  Show Profile
My "store all the questions in one place, rather than in several places" quote simply refers to the fact that my current design uses a separate table for each faq (one table for normal faq Qs, one for moderator faq Qs, and one for admin faq Qs). It would require fewer tables, and perhaps be a more elegant solution, if all the questions resided in one table, with an additional field to identify which faq that question went with.

I think by adding the authentication level for each category, you are doing the same thing. From what you just posted, I think you'll cover all the features nicely. Can't wait to see it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07