Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  06:31:04  Show Profile
use of indentation with spaces (tabs suck as they make the files too wide ) is common practice and highly recommended by 99.9% of all programmers and coders I've met. It's simply easier to read the files, both the source as the HTML source, which in its turn makes it easier to get rid of the bugs, and manipulate the files.

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com
Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  06:39:00  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
tabs do suck, plus they are not HTML friendly!!!

I hate editors that do everything in tabs and don't let you change to spaces (cough DreamWeaverMX cough)

Nathan Bales
Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  07:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
ooo - I never knew that about tabs. I'll make a mental note to use all spaces in future..

-------
Eagles fly!, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  07:42:32  Show Profile
But I like tabs!

«-----------------------------------»
Join the Snitz Forums WebRing !
Go to Top of Page

GauravBhabu
Advanced Member

4288 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  07:53:55  Show Profile
I prefer tabs. In Visual Inter Dev when you are using Tabs you have the option to set the Tab size. In addition there is an option to insert space or keep Tabs.

www.forumSquare.com - Rakesh Jain - It is difficult to IMPROVE on Perfection, There is no harm in Keep Trying.
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  07:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Another vote for spaces here, I religiously convert tabbed source to spaces its just a pain.

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

laser
Advanced Member

Australia
3859 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  08:21:13  Show Profile
Tabs are faster, and good tools like UltraEdit will do the conversion quite simply

Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  08:33:20  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
what if I use both?

Tab plus 3 spaces or a half tab? which is what I normally do..

lol

-------
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  09:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
quote:

Tabs are faster, and good tools like UltraEdit will do the conversion quite simply

Most editors let you map the tab key to x number of spaces which is how I use it :)

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Average Member

Ireland
507 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  09:52:21  Show Profile  Visit Spoon's Homepage  Send Spoon an ICQ Message
quote:

tabs do suck, plus they are not HTML friendly!!!

I hate editors that do everything in tabs and don't let you change to spaces (cough DreamWeaverMX cough)

Nathan Bales
Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's

u can turn it off in preferences

Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  09:54:55  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
He's right!

Why didn't anyone tell me that?

-------
Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  12:45:08  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
Has anyone else noticed a really 'defensive' tone to the replies on this forum of late?
I've been away for a while, but when I came back I was really shocked at some of the minor 'text-scrapping' going on all over the place.

I'm not one to get involved in such scuffles, but three of my recent posts have been responded to (by experienced members) with an air of pomposity bordering on: 'we're doing it right and you are either doing wrong or are just stupid'.

From reading around there is a hint of suggestion that there is increasing tension in the run up to version 3.4 being released, with the admins and developers becoming increasingly fed up of requests for release dates and retorting in ever increasingly sharp responses. On the other hand, we have various members of the forum who believe that they have a right to product support and updates as if they had paid hundreds of pounds for this fine product.

In summary:

Admins, developers and certain other high profile members:
This is a quality product which has grown from both your own hard (and unpaid) work, the (unpaid) ideas of your peers and the friendly community which surrounds this project. Much of the success of the product is down to the latter, so please try not to 'slam' a members new idea or suggeestion, no matter how many times you are asked. You aren't necessarily a better developer.

Members:
This is a quality product which is available to you free of charge with only minor restrictions. Support and updates are provided by it's writers as a bonus. By its very nature, it is not a 'finished product' and maybe never will be with continuing evolution in the form of new ideas, mods and updates. If you choose to implement these forums on your systems you do so at your own risk. The writers are not responsible for it losing some or all of your data and are not obliged to help you. They could easily pack it all in tomorrow.

I hope this can be percieved by all as a balanced viewpoint as it is not intended to offend.

D3mon
'Even if somebody told you the true meaning of life, you wouldn't believe them.'
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  13:27:18  Show Profile
quote:

I know you don't like Dreamweaver, but Dreamweaver's code editor does have options and some of the settings you can make are whether you want to use tabs or spaces and how many you want to use (I have it set to two spaces). It's in Preferences > Code Format

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com
Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  14:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
I'm being totally serious! I had no idea you could set the tab width to anything. Now it's set at a lovely 2 characters.

I'm amazed that I never gotten around to seeing what NoteTab Pro can actually do..

-------
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  15:19:36  Show Profile
Sounds like there is some mixing up of server-side page size and client-side page size.

The size of an asp page is pretty flexible unless your server is in a real memory-challenged envrionment. Comment lines, whitespace, etc in asp pages matters very little.

On the client, remove as much as you can to help speed up both communication time with the server and parsing time by the browser. It does take longer to parse 8 space characters than 1 tab character. I prefer to use none if possible, when I program in asp I don't care very much how the html looks as long as it works right. I have some pages without any line breaks at all in the html which work fine.

======
Doug G
======
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07