Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  15:54:11  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I also think people are getting confused over tabs and spaces too.

you should indent your code with tabs, it is a single ascii character rather than 8 if they were spaces, they have no effect whatsoever on the HTML outputted, but affect greatly the amount of data sent to the client.

you should use spaces in your text output because tabs don't work

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  15:59:47  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

Has anyone else noticed a really 'defensive' tone to the replies on this forum of late?
I've been away for a while, but when I came back I was really shocked at some of the minor 'text-scrapping' going on all over the place.

I'm not one to get involved in such scuffles, but three of my recent posts have been responded to (by experienced members) with an air of pomposity bordering on: 'we're doing it right and you are either doing wrong or are just stupid'.

From reading around there is a hint of suggestion that there is increasing tension in the run up to version 3.4 being released, with the admins and developers becoming increasingly fed up of requests for release dates and retorting in ever increasingly sharp responses. On the other hand, we have various members of the forum who believe that they have a right to product support and updates as if they had paid hundreds of pounds for this fine product.

In summary:

Admins, developers and certain other high profile members:
This is a quality product which has grown from both your own hard (and unpaid) work, the (unpaid) ideas of your peers and the friendly community which surrounds this project. Much of the success of the product is down to the latter, so please try not to 'slam' a members new idea or suggeestion, no matter how many times you are asked. You aren't necessarily a better developer.

Members:
This is a quality product which is available to you free of charge with only minor restrictions. Support and updates are provided by it's writers as a bonus. By its very nature, it is not a 'finished product' and maybe never will be with continuing evolution in the form of new ideas, mods and updates. If you choose to implement these forums on your systems you do so at your own risk. The writers are not responsible for it losing some or all of your data and are not obliged to help you. They could easily pack it all in tomorrow.

I hope this can be percieved by all as a balanced viewpoint as it is not intended to offend.

D3mon
'Even if somebody told you the true meaning of life, you wouldn't believe them.'

We do not slam peoples ideas, I have looked at your recent posts, and don't understand how you got this impression.

Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  17:32:33  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
On reflection,it might have been just one post combined with reading the conversations others have had.
I'm quite easily upset - but I've got a handle on it now and I don't fly back with curses and insults like I used to .
Trouble with forum posting is its very easy to 'read between the lines' and get the wrong idea. I vote for a greater use of smilies all round to indicate the 'mood' of a post.

D3mon
'Even if somebody told you the true meaning of life, you wouldn't believe them.'
Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  17:38:16  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
I wish I could get into Dreamweaver, but I'm much too 'comfy' in Homsite.

D3mon
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  17:50:32  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

I wish I could get into Dreamweaver, but I'm much too 'comfy' in Homsite.

D3mon

There is nothing wrong with homesite, I never use anything else.

You should definately be using tabs to indent your code and not spaces.

Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  18:05:26  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
Homesite rocks for me because it will never screw around with my hand-written code and I've got all the little tools I need to hand, without having to change 'views' or packages. I use PhotoShop for my graphics and TopStyle for my CSS, while Homesite/WS_FTP handles my data xfer to my host.
Oddly enough though, being currently on the search for another 9-5 daily grind, I seem to always see 'Dreamweaver' written in job adverts like its the 'Holy Grail' of web dev.

Oh, I never use spaces, they're too small and don't make nice tidy indents (besides, Homesite has a nice indent / unindent feature that doesn't work with spaces.)
I do like to chop them out in response.write statements though. I guess I'm used to it now.

Sorry, I guess we strayed from the thread a bit here.

D3mon
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  18:13:20  Show Profile
Homesite is my main editor. I use Dreamweaver when I am too lazy to write up the html for a new page I am working on. After getting the overall layout in dreamweaver I switch back to homesite.

«-----------------------------------»
Join the Snitz Forums WebRing !
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  18:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
I haven't tried Dreamweaver MX yet in "homesite" mode can anyone comment on how close the feel is to using homesite?

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

@tomic

USA
1790 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  20:50:17  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage  Send @tomic an ICQ Message
quote:
I seem to always see 'Dreamweaver' written in job adverts like its the 'Holy Grail' of web dev.

Perhaps I am too old school, but my second choice after Visual InterDev is still notepad. I wonder if any employers would accept that...

@tomic

http://www.skepticfriends.org
Go to Top of Page

Azaniah

United Kingdom
1004 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2002 :  05:00:26  Show Profile  Visit Azaniah's Homepage
I still only use notepad - but they are forcing me to learn DreamWeaver (well not forcing)... It's too confusing..

-------
Eagles fly!, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2002 :  07:17:13  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
Homesite come in the same box if your version of Dreamweaver is fairly new - Give it a try. Not too much of a learning curve from notepad if you just ignore all the extra menus.

If it's not there, grab a demo from:
http://www.macromedia.com/software/homesite

D3mon
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2002 :  08:14:50  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
Since we're on the topic of editors, I noticed noone has mentioned Adobe GoLive. Does anyone use this? It seemed to me that the GoLive interface is cleaner and more intuitive than DreamWeaver. DreamWeaver seems to have a higher learning curve than many of the other editors and yet I haven't seen any huge additional functionality that I can't do with another editor. Also, I've yet to see any editor outside of FrontPage to develop a complete ASP database interface code with the push of a couple of buttons.

Go to Top of Page

davemaxwell
Access 2000 Support Moderator

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 07 August 2002 :  08:47:15  Show Profile  Visit davemaxwell's Homepage  Send davemaxwell an AOL message  Send davemaxwell an ICQ Message  Send davemaxwell a Yahoo! Message
I'm a fan of editplus myself. Clean interface. Can add functionality on the fly. GOOD syntax highlighting capabilities. Nice price.

Dave Maxwell
--------------
Proud to be a "World Class" Knucklehead
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07