New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  14:23:44  Show Profile
I just went to msn.com to sign in and when I couldn't select my username from the autocomplete list (you know, the pull down list that shows up when you type a letter) I decided to check the source. It had autocomplete="off" in the text fields for both username and password. It's a PITA if you're always using the same computer, but what if you share a computer and don't want everyone to know your username(s)?

Perhaps this is an idea for the Snitz login too? Add autocomplete="off" to the login text fields and no worries about someone getting to your username.

Now it's just an idea, but perhaps one worth considering?

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  15:06:07  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Oh, so thats how they do it.

Its quite common to see this on 'confirm password' and especially on 'confirm email' text boxes. I believe snitz has one of each in the registraion forum for 3.4

Nathan Bales
Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  15:26:57  Show Profile
quote:

Its quite common to see this on 'confirm password' and especially on 'confirm email' text boxes. I believe snitz has one of each in the registraion forum for 3.4

Well the stupid thing about "confirm e-mail" is that you can simply copy & paste the e-mail address from the first box. That's how I usually do it

Roland

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  17:09:54  Show Profile
We are already going to get some flak because of people having to enter their password everytime they do things. Right now, for example, when an Admin deletes a topic, the username/password boxes are already filled in for them, but in v3.4, they won't be (because of the encrypted password). I thought that if we left the fields completely blank (no username either), then those who have access to the autocomplete in their browser, would just need to choose their username from the dropdown and the password would be entered for them.

I have always wondered how some sites prevent you from saving the form data in certain form fields, thanks for the info!
Go to Top of Page

snaayk

USA
1061 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  17:22:32  Show Profile  Visit snaayk's Homepage  Send snaayk an AOL message  Send snaayk an ICQ Message  Send snaayk a Yahoo! Message
quote:
We are already going to get some flak because of people having to enter their password everytime they do things. Right now, for example, when an Admin deletes a topic, the username/password boxes are already filled in for them, but in v3.4, they won't be (because of the encrypted password).

I foresee a 150 post rant about why this is happening and better ways....

Roland, thanks for the info, I might use it just for the sake of p-offing poeple on my site, hmm....maybe as a random effect sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
Of course, I would lose 1/2 of my visitors because they didn't think it was funniny

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2002 :  18:06:51  Show Profile
Another example of how to use autocomplete="off" can be found on http://chat.yahoo.com on the top-left of the yellow table. They've added it to the form instead of the text fields.

I'm glad I was able to share some information with you after you all having taught me so much

Roland

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 19 July 2002 :  13:23:54  Show Profile
does anyone know if there is something similiar for Mozilla ? I've found a problem when modifying user's profiles using Mozilla. It will replace the Username and password with yours and basically cause problems.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07