DEV Discussions (General)
 req: better documented db fields in coming version
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  01:52:09  Show Profile
the current access database in v3.3.05 is not well documented, it will help a lot if the use of fields are better explained in the coming version.

happy snitzing.

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  01:53:04  Show Profile
in v3.4, none of the database fields are documented. It's a whole new database that is created by a script (much like the script for MS SQL & MySQL databases).
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  02:00:41  Show Profile
thanks for the quick reply.
then is it possible to make a document for mod developers?
maybe:
security issue
one should ...
one shall not ...

this is for many of the existing mods do not checkstring retrieved.

detabase fields
T_STATUS: 0 = ... 1= ...

it would save some time as a reference for the mod developers or who wants to tweak the coding a bit.

Edited by - bjlt on 17 July 2002 02:02:52
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  02:08:07  Show Profile
anyone is welcome to volunteer to write something like that.
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  02:19:09  Show Profile
for the security issue, Workmule post a link to an article, which I think is pretty good as a reference,
in topic http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26930

Advanced SQL Injection In SQL Server Applications
http://www.nextgenss.com/papers/advanced_sql_injection.pdf

maybe we can include the link in the mod developers guide.

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  03:59:19  Show Profile
I was thinking of doing a write-up for MOD Developers for the 3.4 version. I think I will start on it, but it won't be ready by time 3.4 comes out. (Don't want to delay it any longer) Hopefully I will get it done quick enough.

Some of the information I am thinking of putting in it:
Guidlines in creating Mods
How to Create Mods
How to Install Mods
Info about each database field (as just mentioned)
Security Concerns (as just mentioned)

I won't have time to go in to detail about every topic but to give enough information for a user to develop a mod. I want to do this quickly, but if there is any information that you think is deemed necessary to add to this document, let me know.

My time is limited but I will do my best to get something done.

«------------------------------------------------------»
What new features are going to be in the 3.4
version? See the 3.4 UnOfficial Features List !
Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  08:53:05  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
One of the things I'd like to see with MODs is the ability to easily change out the MOD without changing a lot of the forum code. I notice that, in an effort to fully integrate MODs, the MODs as well as the forum become more time consuming to update. I'd like to be able to just drop a new folder into my website with a complete MOD and just have it linked into the forum somewhere. I've been investing a lot of time in development of the website in hopes of low maintenance once implemented and this would help.

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 17 July 2002 :  09:32:52  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

One of the things I'd like to see with MODs is the ability to easily change out the MOD without changing a lot of the forum code. I notice that, in an effort to fully integrate MODs, the MODs as well as the forum become more time consuming to update. I'd like to be able to just drop a new folder into my website with a complete MOD and just have it linked into the forum somewhere. I've been investing a lot of time in development of the website in hopes of low maintenance once implemented and this would help.

Wouldn't we all, but unfortunately you can't do that with every mod, some of them have to be integrated with the coede or they will not work

Go to Top of Page

Spoon
Average Member

Ireland
507 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2002 :  14:44:51  Show Profile  Visit Spoon's Homepage  Send Spoon an ICQ Message
What would make it easier if you just had to add tiny snippets of code. E.g. using the include file.

<!--#Include file="includes/inc_mod_modname.asp" -->

By just telling the user where to insert lines like above would make things alot easier. Plus it would help with just the "dropping a folder in" thingy.

Regards - Spoon

Beginner? Need help installing the forums? - www.aslickpage.com/snitz_help.html

www.ASlickPage.com - Private Messaging
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 18 July 2002 :  15:46:06  Show Profile
Mostly it is not so easy as includes, but depending on MOD, what I would suggest is:

1. Use includes which use SUB & FUNCTION definitions
2. Write subs/functions which are called from the main forum files. So you will only insert a single line of code.
3. If applicable, create an on/off flag (using any method) to turn it on/off, preferably from admin part. See Huw's code for examples.

Think Pink
==> Start Internationalization Here
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07