TableEditor like browse for database
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2002 :  19:04:30  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
The latest beta version .81 of TableEditor does away with the need to touch the ASP to connect to the database. (This feature may have been around for a while...I don't watch it like a hawk.) Not only does it let you enter the location into a text field, it even provides a nifty browse feature that shows the remote system's directory tree.

From watching the posts, it seems that one of the most common hangups new users run in to is setting up the database. I think it would be a great addition to Snitz. And, since Tableeditor is GPL, and Snitz is GPL, seems to me there are no issues of snagging the code.

But there is one major problem as I'm sure some of you veterans are fired up and ready to pounce on me for. The issue is that Table editor comes with its own database (te_admin.mdb) that it expect to be in the same folder, where it places these connection configs to all the other databases you wish to connect to. In Snitz world, that's a security no-no. That is definitely a hangup, and I'm not sure there is a solution to it.

But, most of you are smarter than I am. I thought it might be worth to bring up and get some discussion in the hopes that one of you might know a way. Or, you can all tell me I'm crazy (I'm prepared).

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2002 :  19:10:49  Show Profile
it has a flaw though. It won't let you browse above the webroot, so if your database is above the webroot(where it really should be), you are back to entering the path manually. It's a nice feature, but as you said, there still has to be a database setup upon initial install, which brings us to where we are already.

If people would read the existing instructions and put a little effort into it, they would not have any problems with the connection string.
Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2002 :  19:16:53  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
No arguement there. But it is an unfortunate fact that people don't.

Go to Top of Page

pweighill

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  04:35:01  Show Profile
People who don't read this instructions also tend to leave their access database in the same directory as the asp files and also don't rename it, so it is very easy in such cases for others to download the whole database and find out the passwords.

Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  08:36:14  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
quote:
And, since Tableeditor is GPL, and Snitz is GPL, seems to me there are no issues of snagging the code.

This is a nice script that I've already been playing with, but if you use it, you need to be careful. Afterall, if someone can get access to this script from your site, it can be a huge security breach.

Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  11:25:04  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I've been using the new table editor for about a month, but not for web projects, more for remote database access. I like the new features.

http://www.nineinchnailz.com
Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  11:35:06  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
quote:

This is a nice script that I've already been playing with, but if you use it, you need to be careful. Afterall, if someone can get access to this script from your site, it can be a huge security breach.

True, you have to be careful. You certainly should move the default te_admin.mdb file off of the webserver, and use careful passwords.

Well, okay, so there's no possibility of using this approach. Do you think if the database connection portion where moved out of config.asp and into it's own standalone file (which is in turn included in config.asp) it might be easier for people to follow the directions? I know when I first used Snitz, my ASP knoweledge was nearly non-existant (to Snitz's credit). Believe it or not even I found opening config.asp to be slightly intimidating.

Go to Top of Page

alex042
Average Member

USA
631 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  13:14:09  Show Profile  Send alex042 an AOL message  Send alex042 a Yahoo! Message
I don't know if spliting up the config.asp file for just the setup would be that beneficial.

Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 16 July 2002 :  14:20:47  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
If you split it out into a seperate file that's got nothing but the database connection information, say inc_db_connection.asp, you could do things such as:

- On the Snitz setup routine, if the database connection is not working, you have wizard that asks the user super-simplistic questions. (could even support a browse option like Table Editor)
- As a result of the answers builds the database connection information.
- Then builds the appropriate connection and asks the user to copy and paste it into inc_db_connection.asp.

I'm certainly not criticizing the way it is done now. Just thinking of ways that might make it easier for some people.

I also think a inc_db_connection.asp file with only 6 lines of code is more comfortable for those without ASP experience than a large file like config.asp, even with no wizard.

Edited by - Dan Martin on 16 July 2002 14:23:42
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07