Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

joemesda
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2002 :  11:43:53  Show Profile  Visit joemesda's Homepage
Oops... Huw is the best bet to get the mod started and I got him mad

Snitz IS great because it is online. I thought it would have been easier to transition folks from listserve and Yahoo to Snitz. The move is not working as I would like, so I need to investigate methods to merge the applications.

This isn't a request to change the interface and philosophy of the forum but a request to create more user options for community members. Looking at the market for the mod - it seems that there is an even split between Snitz forums with advanced server capability vs basic capability (if we look at the discussions of access vs sql). I would expect a great number of downloads for this mod.

Most mods appear to be created to offer users added flexibility to enable more communication. This mod would create the ultimate in flexibility allowing communication from the web and from email clients. I'm fortunate to have Internet access "always-on" and can check my subscriptions easily when alerted. Folks with dial-up and/or those without Web access during part of the day have a much harder time communicating in the forum. A new e-mail mod would keep all of the community members in-touch all of the time.

Before choosing Snitz, I looked at way too many different forums . Nearly all of them discussed how email notifications of responses (subscriptions) would be handled - this really is an important component/consideration of forums. Many of the features offered at Yahoo are already being "modded" into Snitz. Having the same messaging capability within MY site/portal combined with all of MY content/design is best for my organization, cleaner for my users and maintains my image (not Yahoo's and their advertisers). I agree with Jeepaholic, this would be a KILLER mod especially with more and more folks looking for alternatives to Yahoo.

joemesda
Go to Top of Page

heptite
Average Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 08 January 2002 :  12:15:36  Show Profile  Visit heptite's Homepage  Send heptite an ICQ Message  Send heptite a Yahoo! Message
It's one thing to send email messages out when new ones are posted, but another to have the ability to REPLY to a message, and have that go back into the forum.

That's where the can of worms is going to come in.

Unless you just send the link to reply to.

Shades of qwk mail readers... if any of you remember those.

Sue

Additional support files - http://www.snitz.info
Go to Top of Page

Jeepaholic
Average Member

USA
697 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  16:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Jeepaholic's Homepage
Hey Huw, think this might get more attention in the MOD's w/o Code forum? I know you were looking for more interested people...

Al Bsharah
Jeepaholics Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2002 :  17:24:41  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
done.

Go to Top of Page

joemesda
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2002 :  01:41:32  Show Profile  Visit joemesda's Homepage
Jeepaholic -

Thanks for keeping the momentum going. I have to believe that this will become a hot topic!

quote:

Hey Huw, think this might get more attention in the MOD's w/o Code forum? I know you were looking for more interested people...

Al Bsharah
Jeepaholics Anonymous

joemesda
Go to Top of Page

test

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2002 :  13:12:13  Show Profile
The mail feature would really rock. I hope someone picks up on this. There is more information about your threaded request at:
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21491
and
http://forum.snitz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20332

Threaded discussion seems to be a logical part of the mail request. Is it really that difficult to merge Snitz and a maillist package? (It is to me, but how about the rest of this community?)
Go to Top of Page

jchunn
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2002 :  23:24:47  Show Profile  Visit jchunn's Homepage
Heptite is right. The challenge is in creating the ability to REPLY to a message and have that automatically show up in the forum online. Sending email from the server is a piece of case (CDONTS or whatever), but receiving the email is not so easy. Since we dont know which "brand" of email server is going to "receive" the email, we would, at least at first glance, need to write special code for every possible mail server software. Many mail servers would not support this at all. Yahoo can do this because they know what email server is going to receive the message, and it is controlled by them. Can anyone suggest any alternitives?

Go to Top of Page

jchunn
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2002 :  08:26:07  Show Profile  Visit jchunn's Homepage
Ok, it was late, and now I have slept on it. Clearly, to avoid the issue of different email servers, the idea would be to use POP3 to monitor an email address that is assigned to the forum. The email address would be the "reply-to" address for that forum. POP3 would be used to check the email account on a regular basis, maybe every 5-10 minutes (configurable), and would then parse the emails in the mailbox and post anything found. There would need to be a way to know which thread the reply was to, probably using some sort of alias/catch-all type mailbox. I am going to play with the POP3 stuff and get that to work. I'll post back here once I figure some of this out. Any ideas would be welcome.

Go to Top of Page

rasure

289 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2002 :  04:17:54  Show Profile  Visit rasure's Homepage
On the subject of mail, is there a mod that will notify the webmaster of registration sign ups? I did a search first but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance Rasure

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 02 March 2002 :  05:12:06  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

On the subject of mail, is there a mod that will notify the webmaster of registration sign ups? I did a search first but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance Rasure

reserrecting a topic that has not been posted in for over a month with a completely unrelated question, is not the best way to get an answer.

Go to Top of Page

rasure

289 Posts

Posted - 04 March 2002 :  07:10:43  Show Profile  Visit rasure's Homepage
sorry but the topic was active when I posted, well at least it showed up as an active topic?

Go to Top of Page

Ronald
Starting Member

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 09 March 2002 :  12:48:31  Show Profile  Visit Ronald's Homepage
I am a member of a mail list that just had a large increase in volume. We have our own servers and I was going to load all the organisations mail lists 3 into a dedicated Snitz forum. So that it will be easier for me to browse through the lot.

If there has been any progress on a mail list gateway mod let me know.

Otherwise pointers on how to load everything up would be much appreaciated. We already have lots of code for reading emails. I wanted to do the following.

1/. Load emails using the subjects to create forums and topics.

2/. Copy to the list any new posts or replies.

The list already has a list server.

However I would be interested in a GPL or similar list server that could be integrated with it for the future.

Regards -- Ronald

No Limits

http://www.skiing.plc.uk
Go to Top of Page

joemesda
Starting Member

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2002 :  20:16:01  Show Profile  Visit joemesda's Homepage
Well...back to beating a dead horse. I've been away for awhile, but see that there has been some activity on the topic. Looking at other posts/topics, it seems that there is significant interest in an e-mail mod to create an option similar to Yahoo Groups. And with Yahoo's privacy changes and other forums picking up additional e-mail functionality, now seems to be the time to continue the discussion.

joemesda
Go to Top of Page

sajida
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2002 :  05:23:03  Show Profile
quote:

Well, it is possible, but you wwould need a mail engine runnng somewhere which did the processing and conversion from message to email.

I implemented this for a client some months ago, but lost the source code when my previous PC was stolen from their offices.

If you need any pointers or directions, drop me an email, i will try to remember what i did.

Plz send

Go to Top of Page

AGlossop
Starting Member

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2002 :  19:17:35  Show Profile
I'm in the process of building a support website for our company, which will include a forum or email list server. I decided on Snitz, read lots of posts, waited for v3.4, and have now given up waiting and implementing 3.3.03. It will be a private forum (company invited members only), and so security is important. I'm busy implementing and testing mods and doing my own code.

Once I have the site up and live I WILL be coding for email. Regardless of other interest or not, I need this.

My planned implementation will take some time, so the priorities are:

1) change the "link to topic" emails to actual topic posts being emailed, and send email to all that subscribe. (this must be very easy)

2) Create one forum which has an email address and use pop3 to receive emails to it. (just like Yahoo does I guess). (not very hard)

3) Create multiple email addresses, which link to different forums. (a bit harder)

4) Think about threading and/or topic postings, possibly by using subject info ( like [Topic No] ) (this will take some work to perfect)

5) Think about digest mode (probably would need help with this)

6) Attachments.

Whatever I do get going I will share here. However it's obviously a much easier task to hard code these features, rather than do all the admin interface stuff. So I'll start with coding it that way.

I presume that forums (free ones) will mainly exist on income from ads. So emailing a link rather than the actual message gets people back to the site. So not everyone wants email features. It therefore won't ever become a part of base Snitz code.

Andrew

Edited by - AGlossop on 06 May 2002 04:18:14
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07