MOD Add-On Forum (W/O Code)
 Automatic ASP Code File Insertion.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fuzion

162 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  20:02:27  Show Profile
Hey, i dont wanna get flamed for this lol but im sitting here watching Sliders the tv show and suddenly out of nowhere an idea pops in my head. You guys know that some mods require that the user go into the individual files and make changes to specific lines right? Well is it possible to build an app that when supplied with the file name, line, and code to be inserted, itll automatically update the script with the code supplied? Just an idea.

NeilQuest Hosting Service:
http://www.NeilQuest.com

Site Designs For Sale:
http://www.NeilQuest.com/designstore.asp

Just giving my two cents worth.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  20:05:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
of course it would be, the problem is, line xxx in your file may not be line xxx in mine, since you may or may not have the same mods installed.

Go to Top of Page

Dan Martin
Average Member

USA
528 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  21:09:49  Show Profile  Visit Dan Martin's Homepage  Send Dan Martin an AOL message  Send Dan Martin an ICQ Message  Send Dan Martin a Yahoo! Message
I think anyone who's ever installed a MOD or made a MOD had this cross their mind at some point. I've thought about it, and thought about it. But I've never thought of a good way to make "auto-installing" MODs.

It would be great though.

Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 22 July 2002 :  21:21:59  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
This would only work for the first mod you installed. Afterwards, line numbers would be different. A installer that keeps track of the changed line numbers could be built, but the problem is that different mods need to be installed before or after other mod lines, etc. and this would make it near impossible to automate. To make matters worse, some mods need to modify the same line or other mods to be able to coexist.

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  11:05:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
This still wouldn't work, because you may be searching for a line of text which either no longer exist, or has been changed by a different Mod, so you would still have exactly the same problem as if you were using line numbers to do the insert.

Go to Top of Page

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  11:27:35  Show Profile
I remember a similar thread as this one quite a while ago where in the end one person kept saying it could be done because other forums did it, while everyone else kept giving the same arguements as Huw has shown: lines change so you can't garantuee that it'll work after having one MOD installed, let alone 3 or 4 which is the amount of MODs I see a lot on forums.

The only solution would be to keep a file with all changed lines to which the program can reference, but even that would eventually prove to be impossible because the program would have to learn to decide when to add a line, when to modify the current line (inserted by a different MOD), where to insert the new lines and whether or not removing a line will "break" something else.

I'm talking about real Artificial Intelligence here

Roland

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Snitz Icons | Do's and Dont's
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  18:09:00  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
quote:

This still wouldn't work, because you may be searching for a line of text which either no longer exist, or has been changed by a different Mod, so you would still have exactly the same problem as if you were using line numbers to do the insert.

In which case the program just marks that insert or delete for manual completion, its certainly do-able I think its Yabb forums that have something similar already.

We use a code merger at work for merging Assembler code together which several people have been working on at once, you'd be amazed at how acurate this thing is despite all the obvious pitfalls associated with trying to do such a thing.

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  18:43:11  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

We use a code merger at work for merging Assembler code together which several people have been working on at once, you'd be amazed at how acurate this thing is despite all the obvious pitfalls associated with trying to do such a thing.

www.daoc-halo.com

I do the same all the time, and use beyond compare to migrate code between forum upgrades, but this is entirely different, and undertaken by people who understand the code they are manipulating, not a complete novice trying do insert code he doesn't understand into even more code he doesn't understand.

I am not saying this kind of this is not possible, I write data manipulation software for a living, so know exactly what is involved in doing this kind of thing, it's just that the time and effort to produce a tool that would not be useable by everyone is not that justifiable

Go to Top of Page

unifox
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  19:17:05  Show Profile
isn't it possible to make it insert a line after another line.....searching in the code and not by line number.......it must be possible!!

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  19:19:40  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

unifox,
Try reading the other posts in the thread before making your own

Go to Top of Page

James
Average Member

USA
539 Posts

Posted - 23 July 2002 :  21:42:15  Show Profile  Visit James's Homepage
Most forum software that have this feature also have the code controlled by the developers. This makes it easy to make such a feature. There is no way possible to make this work with snitz as long as mod developers can freely create their own mods. A installer that searches for a phrase, may end up modifing a line that was needed by another mod, the other mod's line itself, etc. Unless the all mod writers were forced to register their mods, test them with every other mod, etc. there is no way you can account for the majority of problems you will encouter. Mod writers are not going to go through all the trouble to test their mod with every other single mod and if forced it would just cut down on the development of the product. Most mod writers do so in their spare time and don't really have the time for their own coding much less all the added hasle this would impose.

-
*Interested in Radio Control*
*The RC Web Board - http://www.rcwebboard.com/*
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  04:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
quote:
but this is entirely different, and undertaken by people who understand the code they are manipulating, not a complete novice trying do insert code he doesn't understand into even more code he doesn't understand.

Agree 100%

www.daoc-halo.com
Go to Top of Page

unifox
Starting Member

46 Posts

Posted - 24 July 2002 :  16:07:18  Show Profile
sorry....my bad.....just don't kill me for one error

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07