Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pingofdeath
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  15:12:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snitz is the best forum that I have used, however, I am still surprised that a chat room and phone book have not been integrated into the product. There are a couple of them out there, but every time I upgrade I have to go through multiple contortions getting my chat and phone book to work.

Having sintz with a built in phonebook and chat interface would make life much easier. . . .

Just a suggestion. . . Don't get me wrong, I love snitz and you can't beat the price.<

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  15:19:57  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think there are snitz chat-style add-ons, but a phone-book? Not sure I fully understand...snitz is hosted on your own server, not a hosted service, so not really sure what integrations you're after here!?

Could you explain a bit more depth, or link to examples? Maybe someone (you, even?!) will take a crack at developing a mod for snitz with the functionalities you're after if they don't already exist :)

hth<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  15:20:39  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
a phone book ? what possible use would a phone book be in an internet forum ?

also Snitz is a Forum, they are used for open discussions, Chat rooms are something enytirely different and should remain so<
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  15:35:46  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

Snitz is a Forum, they are used for open discussions, Chat rooms are something enytirely different and should remain so

I'll agree up to a point... if your site uses both its nice to have a single sign-on.

As for the phonebook... I know that a MOD was made a long while back and may still be found over at www.snitzbitz.com - but its really not practical for every forum, hence not really a base code thing... IMHO<
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  15:49:03  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
These topics always get heated don't they? lol

But I do agree with annon Chat rooms are nice only if your site uses them to have them integrated with snitz. But otherwise they do not serve a purpose. For the phone book mod I would only use this in some instances but overall would not make sense.

There is a mod to turn the members page into a phone book page at snitzbitz i believe.

I would put in personal request but thats what they are personal they don't serve anyone else's purposes I am sure. So I will just stick with modifying to my needs.

Jeff<
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:19:07  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is how I think a suggestion for future releases of Snitz should work IMHO. Recommendations are useless... unless someone decides to build a mod that serves a purpose to a large group of Snitz users. If the mod is popular enough and coded within the style and guidelines of Snitz then the developers could implement it into the core design. So if you have a good suggestion for Snitz be proactive and develop the mod first. Of course this will not guarantee anything but at least we are not throwing out a bundle of suggestions with no where to really start.

With that said, I think Active Users would be a great add-on to the base code of Snitz .<

Go to Top of Page

CalloftheHauntedMaster

289 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:27:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since this does seem to be the place for suggestions, I'd go more with implementing the most popular mods into the base code so that people don't have to install them. Incidentally, the best mods are oftentimes the most difficult to add.

Snitz is great because of the support. That's the one area where Snitz seems to be superior to the other major softwares (costs excluded). However, the fact that so many mods still don't exist for Snitz is disappointing. There needs to be a group of developers working on creating newer and better mods for the software so that it can keep up with the other ones.

Not saying it should be a job, but a hobby for those who enjoy coding. It'd be easier for everyone and wouldn't require people to wait months for someone to decide to write up a mod. Maybe even have a group here who advertises themselves as code writers for a free.

There is many stuff people want that would require maybe 30 minutes of work, tops. But they don't know how. If a group of people who could do that were available, it'd be easier on everyone.

As for the base code, I've been saying for a long time now that the best mods need to installed into it. If you're uncertain which are best, conduct a survery of snitz users.<

This account was hacked into by Image, a very honest guy as you all can see! Stealing people's passwords is his pasttime. Beware of this, before you register at his forums!
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:31:25  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There is a massive difference between having a unified login and being integrated together. A forum is part of a site like a chat room is part of a site if they were to be integrated into anything then they would bothe be integrated into a site portal rather than being integrated into each other, Snitz is NOT a site portal, it is a forum.<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:33:42  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Snitz is great because of the support. That's the one area where Snitz seems to be superior to the other major softwares (costs excluded). However, the fact that so many mods still don't exist for Snitz is disappointing. There needs to be a group of developers working on creating newer and better mods for the software so that it can keep up with the other ones.

There are a lot of MODS available for Snitz, what MODS is it lacking ?<
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:40:30  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

There is a massive difference between having a unified login and being integrated together. A forum is part of a site like a chat room is part of a site if they were to be integrated into anything then they would bothe be integrated into a site portal rather than being integrated into each other, Snitz is NOT a site portal, it is a forum.

Ok sorry i was meaning jsut having the log in used with snitz being able to be used with a chat but really like you have said HuwR that is not a snitz thing cause chats are a serperate program all together. I completely agree. Like i said any personal thing is just that a personal request. Only to suit my needs thats why I do not make request on the base snitz program. I don't believe I ever have either.

Snitz is a great program that is very customizable to suit peoples own needs. I actually like that fact. And I am very excited to learn the new .net and possible develop some mods for that. scary though eh.

Keep up the great work.<
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Eh? Another one of these topics? I thought we already had one? And there was enough suggestions in that topic to keep us for the next 2 - 3 major releases.

This is just repeating a thread we already had.<

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  16:57:43  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes David, you're right. My first idea when I saw this topic was to lock it. We all know how this usually ends...<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  17:14:38  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Its a good idea that should go along with hosting discussions eh rui? <
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  17:22:15  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is a recurrent discussion, that draws emotions from everyone. Pretty pointless.
<

Go to Top of Page

JJenson
Advanced Member

USA
2121 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  17:29:17  Show Profile  Visit JJenson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll agree because this is a discussion of opinion really. Hard to argue opinion cause there is no fact to base anything off of. But i do appreciate this program and everyone on this site for all they do.

This has made learning codeing really fun and makes me want to do this as a career. So thanks all for helping me decide which direction I should take. Sorry to change the subject lol.<
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 09 January 2007 :  17:40:49  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is a cool place to learn, Jeff. Many people used Snitz to learn ASP and web development and that was one of the main goals of Snitz. As you found out, it's a goal that's still being fulfilled.<

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07