Snitz Forums 2000
Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Snitz Forums 2000 DEV-Group
 DEV Discussions (General)
 Suggestions for next release of snitz

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!
Before posting, make sure you have read this topic!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
pingofdeath Posted - 09 January 2007 : 15:12:25
Snitz is the best forum that I have used, however, I am still surprised that a chat room and phone book have not been integrated into the product. There are a couple of them out there, but every time I upgrade I have to go through multiple contortions getting my chat and phone book to work.

Having sintz with a built in phonebook and chat interface would make life much easier. . . .

Just a suggestion. . . Don't get me wrong, I love snitz and you can't beat the price.<
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
pingofdeath Posted - 03 April 2007 : 15:32:17
Sorry, been out of the loop. The reason that a chat and phone book would be nice would be in the event of a private group trying to use a snitz forum. Take a family trying to keep in touch, or put up a site for planning family reunions. The chat that is hosted by a website would not be integrated to the forum, nor would the phone book. Davido has made a pretty good phone book which would be nice to integrate into a future release. . . . conquerchat works with snitz as well. The phone book is a listing of the members of the forum's information . . . . not an actual phone book like www.therealyellowpages.com. With respect to the "open" question of the forum, I disagree. You can set up different forums and restrict users from certain forums. This would allow an organiztion to set up a forum for rank and file members to discuss pertinent topics while executive level discussions are limited to the executive members of the organization. You can also require users to join the forum, with you approving their membership. This means that snitz is as "open" or as "closed" as you want it to be. Thanks for the comments
<
JJenson Posted - 09 January 2007 : 17:43:11
Thankfully so I think this has been so far better than sitting in a class. I have been at this for 3 months now never touching it before and because of all of you I can actually read code and very slowly learning to write a little to lol.<
ruirib Posted - 09 January 2007 : 17:40:49
This is a cool place to learn, Jeff. Many people used Snitz to learn ASP and web development and that was one of the main goals of Snitz. As you found out, it's a goal that's still being fulfilled.<
JJenson Posted - 09 January 2007 : 17:29:17
I'll agree because this is a discussion of opinion really. Hard to argue opinion cause there is no fact to base anything off of. But i do appreciate this program and everyone on this site for all they do.

This has made learning codeing really fun and makes me want to do this as a career. So thanks all for helping me decide which direction I should take. Sorry to change the subject lol.<
ruirib Posted - 09 January 2007 : 17:22:15
This is a recurrent discussion, that draws emotions from everyone. Pretty pointless.
<
JJenson Posted - 09 January 2007 : 17:14:38
Its a good idea that should go along with hosting discussions eh rui? <
ruirib Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:57:43
Yes David, you're right. My first idea when I saw this topic was to lock it. We all know how this usually ends...<
Davio Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:52:53
Eh? Another one of these topics? I thought we already had one? And there was enough suggestions in that topic to keep us for the next 2 - 3 major releases.

This is just repeating a thread we already had.<
JJenson Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:40:30
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

There is a massive difference between having a unified login and being integrated together. A forum is part of a site like a chat room is part of a site if they were to be integrated into anything then they would bothe be integrated into a site portal rather than being integrated into each other, Snitz is NOT a site portal, it is a forum.

Ok sorry i was meaning jsut having the log in used with snitz being able to be used with a chat but really like you have said HuwR that is not a snitz thing cause chats are a serperate program all together. I completely agree. Like i said any personal thing is just that a personal request. Only to suit my needs thats why I do not make request on the base snitz program. I don't believe I ever have either.

Snitz is a great program that is very customizable to suit peoples own needs. I actually like that fact. And I am very excited to learn the new .net and possible develop some mods for that. scary though eh.

Keep up the great work.<
HuwR Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:33:42
quote:
Snitz is great because of the support. That's the one area where Snitz seems to be superior to the other major softwares (costs excluded). However, the fact that so many mods still don't exist for Snitz is disappointing. There needs to be a group of developers working on creating newer and better mods for the software so that it can keep up with the other ones.

There are a lot of MODS available for Snitz, what MODS is it lacking ?<
HuwR Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:31:25
There is a massive difference between having a unified login and being integrated together. A forum is part of a site like a chat room is part of a site if they were to be integrated into anything then they would bothe be integrated into a site portal rather than being integrated into each other, Snitz is NOT a site portal, it is a forum.<
CalloftheHauntedMaster Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:27:24
Since this does seem to be the place for suggestions, I'd go more with implementing the most popular mods into the base code so that people don't have to install them. Incidentally, the best mods are oftentimes the most difficult to add.

Snitz is great because of the support. That's the one area where Snitz seems to be superior to the other major softwares (costs excluded). However, the fact that so many mods still don't exist for Snitz is disappointing. There needs to be a group of developers working on creating newer and better mods for the software so that it can keep up with the other ones.

Not saying it should be a job, but a hobby for those who enjoy coding. It'd be easier for everyone and wouldn't require people to wait months for someone to decide to write up a mod. Maybe even have a group here who advertises themselves as code writers for a free.

There is many stuff people want that would require maybe 30 minutes of work, tops. But they don't know how. If a group of people who could do that were available, it'd be easier on everyone.

As for the base code, I've been saying for a long time now that the best mods need to installed into it. If you're uncertain which are best, conduct a survery of snitz users.<
dayve Posted - 09 January 2007 : 16:19:07
Here is how I think a suggestion for future releases of Snitz should work IMHO. Recommendations are useless... unless someone decides to build a mod that serves a purpose to a large group of Snitz users. If the mod is popular enough and coded within the style and guidelines of Snitz then the developers could implement it into the core design. So if you have a good suggestion for Snitz be proactive and develop the mod first. Of course this will not guarantee anything but at least we are not throwing out a bundle of suggestions with no where to really start.

With that said, I think Active Users would be a great add-on to the base code of Snitz .<
JJenson Posted - 09 January 2007 : 15:49:03
These topics always get heated don't they? lol

But I do agree with annon Chat rooms are nice only if your site uses them to have them integrated with snitz. But otherwise they do not serve a purpose. For the phone book mod I would only use this in some instances but overall would not make sense.

There is a mod to turn the members page into a phone book page at snitzbitz i believe.

I would put in personal request but thats what they are personal they don't serve anyone else's purposes I am sure. So I will just stick with modifying to my needs.

Jeff<
AnonJr Posted - 09 January 2007 : 15:35:46
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

Snitz is a Forum, they are used for open discussions, Chat rooms are something enytirely different and should remain so

I'll agree up to a point... if your site uses both its nice to have a single sign-on.

As for the phonebook... I know that a MOD was made a long while back and may still be found over at www.snitzbitz.com - but its really not practical for every forum, hence not really a base code thing... IMHO<

Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07