Page: of 6

Target_Locked
Starting Member

Vietnam
38 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2007 :  03:31:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ruirib

I am sorry to inform you, but that is not a valid migration strategy....

I'm a bit tired of everyone second guessing the advice given here about how to migrate a Snitz Db to MySQL. I would guess that I'm one of people here who has done more migrations. I can't advise a single method to do it, since the available tools fail one time or another. Anyway, the first step is always to create a proper Snitz MySQL table structure....

Hi ruirib,
I saw that many people displaying their methods and tools to do the migration, but how the result? some successful for only first 5 records in table, some tools are demo only, some have broken links !!!

I now need a final/best solution to migrate my Access DB to MYSQL for Snitz 3.4.06. If you have done some successful migrations, pls show me your instruction, just one method is enough.(pls note that my database use Unicode character UTF-8)
Thanks.<

Snitz 2000 Ver 3.4.06

Edited by - Target_Locked on 27 November 2007 03:32:42
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 27 November 2007 :  04:50:33  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The method is clearly stated here:

1. Create a blank DB and use setup.asp and then any dbs files to create the proper table structure.

2. Import the data from the Access DB, using one of several available methods. One simple option is to use the MySQL migration wizard to export all the data to another MySQL DB (let's call it the 2nd database). You can then use SQLYog export to another database option to export just the data from this 2nd DB (which does not have the proper database structure) to the database created by setup.asp.

3. The process may fail, specially in the use of the SQL migration toolkit to create a DB from the Access DB. If that happens, several options are available, but the easiest is simply to buy SQLYog's Enterprise version and use the import feature, which usually works ok.

4. As I wrote before, this many times is a trial and error approach.<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Target_Locked
Starting Member

Vietnam
38 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2007 :  04:10:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The method is clearly stated here:

1. Create a blank DB and use setup.asp and then any dbs files to create the proper table structure.

2. Import the data from the Access DB, using one of several available methods. One simple option is to use the MySQL migration wizard to export all the data to another MySQL DB (let's call it the 2nd database). You can then use SQLYog export to another database option to export just the data from this 2nd DB (which does not have the proper database structure) to the database created by setup.asp.

3. The process may fail, specially in the use of the SQL migration toolkit to create a DB from the Access DB. If that happens, several options are available, but the easiest is simply to buy SQLYog's Enterprise version and use the import feature, which usually works ok.

4. As I wrote before, this many times is a trial and error approach.

ruirib,
Could you explain more in step 1 ?
I skip step 1 and go to step 2:
First I use "SQLYog's Enterprise" 30 day trial, go to its Migration tool kit but it can not connect to MDB file. "Error during initialization of provider"

Then I change to MySQL Migration Toolkit to convert MDB directly to MySQL, evething is smooth, but I have problem with Unicode charset; although I choose multi language UTF-8 option, so my forum can not display Vietnamese characters correctly.
For example:
(Sorry, I tried to give an example but this Snitz forum can not display Unicode characters either)
To use Unicode in my forum, I have to modify each ASP file by adding these lines at top of ASP file
---------------
<%@CODEPAGE=65001%>
<% Session.Codepage=65001 %>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; CHARSET=UTF-8">
---------------

Any one, pls help to overcome this.
(I am also trying to get other tool for the conversion.)
Thanks.<

Snitz 2000 Ver 3.4.06

Edited by - Target_Locked on 28 November 2007 21:13:02
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 28 November 2007 :  06:12:37  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
SQLYog is the best tool I know to use with MySQL. If you really need the conversion, you should buy the Enterprise version, the trial won't import data, as far as I can remember.<

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Target_Locked
Starting Member

Vietnam
38 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2007 :  23:34:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

SQLYog is the best tool I know to use with MySQL. If you really need the conversion, you should buy the Enterprise version, the trial won't import data, as far as I can remember.

Finally I could convert from Access to MySQL (I can see all messages in PHPMyadmin), but I got another problem. My Snitz forum can not display converted meggages (UTF-8 chracters), that is my Vietnamese language. When making new post I can type in my language and see it, but after posting the forum displays it incorrectly.
And even when I install new Snitz with MySQL, I could not make it to display Vietnamse correctly.

With Access DB, I just add 2 lines to each ASP files as follows then I can use Vietnamse UTF-8.

But this method does not work with MySQL.

Any one experienced this, pls give me an advice.
Thanks.<

Snitz 2000 Ver 3.4.06
Go to Top of Page

roa360
Starting Member

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 10 April 2009 :  12:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK U SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH
Go to Top of Page

mkervin

100 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2011 :  13:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question regarding the connection string for MySQL do I use the one supplied in my config file:
strConnString = "driver={MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver};option=16387;server=SERVER_IP;user=UID;password=PWD;DATABASE=DB_NAME;" '## MySQL w/ MyODBC v3.51

or is their a newer one to work with the latest version of ODBC 5.1 driver, which I am running on my testing machine? Thank you...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07