my sql asp 500 error
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  01:09:29  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay so I get the same thing as this guy is getting:

http://forum.snitz.com/Forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=69172

I have to wonder if he just gave up or got it fixed.

I am using godaddy.com shared hosting Microsoft IIS 7.0 which I used for some time on version. - Snitz TM Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05 with no issues.

I thought I would just do a fresh install to confirm there were no issues. But alas. I know godaddy has something to be desired in any real technical help. Snitz is an awesome forum asp app.

So fresh install I make the connection to the mysql database, configuration goes through with a hitch. I can hit almost all pages except for the default.asp page. I feel confident that the ASP engine is working on IIS since the rest of the forum is working.

I get no error message since godaddy uses a default asp 500 internal error page to protect source from being displayed. Also I think that is what the other person ran into. We cannot get the asap error.

I made sure that the default document type is being seen correctly, well at least I created a default.asp and placed it in the home directory and place plain html test text, to ensure it was parsing the default document type.

I have to wait 48 hours, but my old site was using asp 1.1 net and the new site was using asp 5.0 net. I changed it to 1.1 just to see if it made a difference. I would think asp 5.0 would work just fine.

Again, the installation completed with no errors. I can admin the site if I go directly to the url.

Anythoughts?

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  01:13:46  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just for grins to make sure it had nothing to do with the home directory default document type I created a new test directory and uploaded all docs there and same error. Too bad it is such a generic error and can't get any of the errors from the server or browser.

Let me know if any one has any ideas. Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  03:13:58  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you have access to your websites IIS logs? these should tell you what the exact error is, obviously we can not help unless we know the error, best guess would be a db connection issue or permissions

MVC .net dev/test site | MVC .net running on Raspberry Pi
Go to Top of Page

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  11:28:31  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

do you have access to your websites IIS logs? these should tell you what the exact error is, obviously we can not help unless we know the error, best guess would be a db connection issue or permissions

I figured that's what someone would say. I will have to look into it and see if I can get them.

I am going to start from scratch again.

I don't think I am going to be able to get the IIS logs since it is a shared platform.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  13:00:09  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
do you get errors if you run setup.asp ?

Go to Top of Page

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  18:18:27  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HuwR

do you get errors if you run setup.asp ?

None what so ever, I can get into admin_home.asp and multiple other .asp pages other than the default.asp page.

Weird huh...
Go to Top of Page

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23 March 2011 :  23:57:02  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I worked on this tonight. Whatever the reason is, I got it to work tonight. I even restored the old version to a new database and server so that was great.

However, for those that need the actual errors from the server or the ASP file from godaddy.com that receive the godaddy.com 500 server custom page. Here is a godaddy article to create the web.config file to see the asp errors on their shared platform.

http://community.godaddy.com/help/article/3430?
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20579 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2011 :  08:13:46  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage  Reply with Quote
glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the link, I'm sure others will find it useful.

Go to Top of Page

jdr
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 24 March 2011 :  22:55:58  Show Profile  Visit jdr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No, thank you. Snitz Forum is the bomb and I am glad I could provide something back for others. The forum support is great. Lot's of great usefull stuff and the community is awesome. Thanks again. Keep up the great work. OMG 18695 posts!!!!!!!! Whew..................... u dah man!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07