Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

RCHAWAII

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2004 :  07:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by achurd

Another solution is to use AccessDUMP instead of Access-to-MySQL.

The only problem I have with this is
1. I don't have Access and can't afford it and
2. It says it AccessDUMP) can't do it if the db is password protected-that bytes even if I have the password :( I discussed this a little with Rui-guess I need more options.

Does anyone here know any other way? Or did I miss something with AccessDUMP.

UPDATE: Once I made the db not read only and archive it worked fine with AccessDUMP- -just thought I should rectify what I posted :D<

Edited by - RCHAWAII on 12 January 2004 17:40:42
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 17 January 2004 :  07:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just converted my access2000 db using mysqlfront v2.5. http://www.mysqlfront.de. It took about 5 seconds and works flawlessly with my snitz forum! not a single error either with the db or with the snitz forum code. woohoo !<
Go to Top of Page

wannab
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  20:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chumbawumba

I have just converted my access2000 db using mysqlfront v2.5. http://www.mysqlfront.de. It took about 5 seconds and works flawlessly with my snitz forum! not a single error either with the db or with the snitz forum code. woohoo !

chumbawumba
I have remote access to my server and wanted to know if you could describe the steps in using mysqlfront? I have no experience with mysql and it took me about a day of reading just to get it up. I created a database and that is about all that I have done. I installed mysqlfront. I just want to convert my current forum from Access 2000 to mysql.<
Go to Top of Page

wannab
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  21:10:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
robbear7

I was trying to follow your steps but when I get to step 3 I use phpmyadmin and select my empty database called forum. I follow the steps and nothing is put into the database. It says No SQL query!

When you say we need an empty database and we have to have our our config.asp modified correctly, do you mean that I should go a head and intall Snitz into an empty database? I have remote access to my server and I am still running my current access data base Snitz forum. I copied the database and I am working from the desktop. I want to test is all before I go live. If I need to I can install another forum to another location if need be.

Also my Access database is about 12MB. After I do Step 2 the sql file I create is about 12KB. Is this correct.

Thanks for any help yo can provide.

Step 3 - Head on over to Phpmyadmin. Select your empty database. Click the tab SQL. We are going to run a query to create the tables in our database. Down below the query text box, you'll see the option Or Location of the text-file . Browse the the .sql file we created earlier from Access-to-mySQL. Click go. If all has gone correctly, we should have created the Tables and fields replicating our Access DB.
<
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  12:09:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wannab

chumbawumba
I have remote access to my server and wanted to know if you could describe the steps in using mysqlfront? I have no experience with mysql and it took me about a day of reading just to get it up. I created a database and that is about all that I have done. I installed mysqlfront. I just want to convert my current forum from Access 2000 to mysql.

from memory, here are the steps i took.

1)change config.asp to point to your mysql database. A sample connection string is already included in the config.asp
2)run setup.asp, snitz will correctly find that there are no tables / data in the database. Click create the tables.

Thats it. unless you have existing data in your Access database, in which case do the following
3) using mysqlfront, click Im-/export | ODBC import | browse to your access file
4) click ok, and all your data will be imported. some errors will appear such as
"Error: 1050 - Table 'forum_totals' already exists" you can safely ignore this as you already made them in step 1.

5) run setup.asp again

incase you are wondering why not import the entire access database instead of doing steps 1 & 2, it is because there will be some problems with default values in certain fields.

Thats all i did as far as i can remember. Have a play around with it. You have got your Access file as a backup anyway, so your data is safe.
good luck <

Edited by - chumbawumba on 11 February 2004 05:24:56
Go to Top of Page

wannab
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  18:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
chumbawumba what mysqlfront are you using? It seems there are more than one. I downloaded a couple and either one of them have the Im-/export | ODBC import | that you mentioned.

I have this one http://www.mysqlfront.de/
and this one http://www.dwam.net/mysql/win32_clients.asp

Maybe I need to register it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.<

Edited by - wannab on 10 February 2004 18:54:48
Go to Top of Page

wannab
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  21:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh great...I found out why...I have the latest version which doesn't have it. Sigh! I went here looking for the old http://mysqlfront.sstienemann.de/ and it says

"This version has all the features you know from the versions before. Additional there are a lots of new features"

Then I find this http://www.mysqlfront.de/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=686

Man what a whip!

All the links to the older version are either broken or point to the new. Does anyone have the 2.5 version they can email or something?

Please help <
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2004 :  05:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wannab, yes you need to use v2.5 . you can get it here

http://www.sstienemann.de/mysqlfront/MySQL-Front_2.5_Setup.exe

http://mysqlfront.phpsoft.it/MySQL-Front_2.5_Setup.exe<

Edited by - chumbawumba on 01 July 2004 05:32:56
Go to Top of Page

wannab
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 11 February 2004 :  11:57:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks chumba and all who help us newbies out. I am up and running even though I had to use the 2.5 ODBC driver, couldn't get the 3 to work. But hey I don't care about that...I am now running on MySQL. I never thought it possible!

Thanks EVERYONE!!!<
Go to Top of Page

FourARSEDSheep
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  11:02:00  Show Profile  Send FourARSEDSheep an AOL message  Send FourARSEDSheep an ICQ Message  Send FourARSEDSheep a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'm getting errors!

I decided to use the MySQL Front method... when it got down to the 'FORUM_REPLY' table i get the error 'Data provier or other service returned an E_FAIL status'.
So i just tried to skip that table to see if it was just that one which was playing up, but it also did it with the 3 tables after that (FORUM_SUBSCRIPTIONS, FORUM_TOPICS, FORUM_TOTALS).
I thought this may have been a space issue with our server, so i deleted the tables i'd just uploaded and tried to just upload the 'FORUM_REPLY' table and got the same error.

When this failed i tried to resort to one of the other methods.
AccessDUMP fails dumping when it gets to the FORUM_REPLY table - the progress br gets 9/10 of the way through that table and i get the error 'Run-time error 3197: The Microsoft Jet database engine sopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time'.
So i tried making a copy of the database, so i could be sure nothing else was editing it, but i got the same error.

This leaves me with the Phpmyadmin solution - but due the fact that i don't have a php server handy, and im in quite the hurry to get my forum back online, it's not really an option unless i can get some php webspace quickly! (ps. my previous experiences with apache have left me anti-apache - so i only use it on my linux partition, which i cant access at this point)

So if anyone has a solution, or at least any ideas please let me know!

Also (if it's of any use) - my access database is currently 23.8mb

-Tom<
Go to Top of Page

chumbawumba

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  11:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no idea what's going on. have you tried a repair and compact on the said .mdb ?<
Go to Top of Page

FourARSEDSheep
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  11:31:55  Show Profile  Send FourARSEDSheep an AOL message  Send FourARSEDSheep an ICQ Message  Send FourARSEDSheep a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh and also - when using MySQL Front, if i try and import the tables after i get the E_FAIL error i get 'ADOQuery1: Cannot perform this operation on an open dataset'<
Go to Top of Page

FourARSEDSheep
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:15:32  Show Profile  Send FourARSEDSheep an AOL message  Send FourARSEDSheep an ICQ Message  Send FourARSEDSheep a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I just tried that and it seems to be working!
taking ages to send tho.. and im getting a "column doesnt match value at row 1" error
oh well we'll see what happens!<
Go to Top of Page

FourARSEDSheep
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 13 February 2004 :  13:54:32  Show Profile  Send FourARSEDSheep an AOL message  Send FourARSEDSheep an ICQ Message  Send FourARSEDSheep a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
okay that error must have messed things up a bit because none of the posts, topics or replies got copied across<
Go to Top of Page

FourARSEDSheep
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 14 February 2004 :  09:05:14  Show Profile  Send FourARSEDSheep an AOL message  Send FourARSEDSheep an ICQ Message  Send FourARSEDSheep a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay this is how i managed to fix it - i just deleted the tables that the setup.asp created..
i dont know if thats a bad thing (?), but it seems to have done the trick and my forum is working fine!
thanks for the help people :)<
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07