Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  17:09:04  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
When Snitz is first installed by a user, theres a 'welcome' message thats posted in the forum.

How about expanding this welcome message considerably to add all the current FAQ topic text in a 'digested' format and include links to many of the 'help' and 'mod' sites in it ?.

Also include the posting Do's and Don'ts for here, might just help some people out a little (assuming people even read it).

Oh and additionally the POST_DATE on this message should ideally be dynamic rather than hard coded to ensure that it displays as a current topic on a newly installed forum.

www.daoc-halo.com

Edited by - Gremlin on 13 March 2002 17:10:23<

Roland
Advanced Member

Netherlands
9335 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  17:23:20  Show Profile
I like the idea of making the welcome topic dynamic, but putting links in that topic to MODs would make things worse. I'd rather see people get used to the basic features of the forums than that they immediately start jamming all kinds of MODs in there and then coming here saying they just installed their forums but nothing works (go figure).

Maybe it'd be better to send them to a separate page with imporant info, rather than sending them to default.asp. On that other page you could tell them that they can find answers to most basic questions by clicking on the icon, reading the FAQ and by hovering their cursor over the icons. Then put the Do's And Don'ts on there together with a link to forum.snitz.com/forum

Same as with the readme.txt, it's always a guess if people will read it, but if you somewhat force them to go there after successfully running setup.asp it might have more effect than a "hidden" file.

just my 3 cents (gotta get rid of that change )

http://www.frutzle.com

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's<
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  17:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Guess my thought was more people are likely to at least read that default post than the readme.txt file whether you put mod links in there or not I guess is really no big deal, i was thinking just a link to the Exchange in there.

If Dev's think this would be remotely usefull I dont mind spening a little time combining all the FAQ posts into a single topic along with other important stuff for inclusion into the "welcome" note.

www.daoc-halo.com<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  18:19:51  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
The exchange may not always be at http://www.ls3k.com/snitz/mods.asp

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
----------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
<
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  19:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Exchange should be a permanent weblink here at the main forums (which can be updated if/when the exchange moves), the post could link back to that rather than to the site directly.

www.daoc-halo.com<
Go to Top of Page

Nathan
Help Moderator

USA
7664 Posts

Posted - 13 March 2002 :  22:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Nathan's Homepage
Mike was planning on making an http://exchange.snitz.com subdomain for it. But we wern't sure how to hook it up. Its possible that a no-ip+ would work. Or if it were moved somewhere else.

Anyhow, I'm planning on re-designing it over spring break.

Nathan Bales - Romans 15:13
----------------------------------

Snitz Exchange | Do's and Dont's
<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07