File documentation?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  04:20:38  Show Profile
Has anyone taken the time to document the files used in Snitz and outlining their purpose/function? I've been looking around a bit and haven't found anything about it yet.

I'm looking at setting up a snitz forum for use on a commercial website in about 2 months and I'd rather not spend a week (at 1hr / page) going through 1.3mb of ASP code to understand the purpose of each file...so uhm, help?

<

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  05:06:57  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
If you look at the lsit of files, the naming of them is pretty self evident as to what they do.

<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  05:44:36  Show Profile
Thanks for replying, and somewhat yes, it shows a very high level description, but there are still a bunch of calls cross page that I need to get a grip on to see where the rdbms gets called, what portions of a page are retrieved from other pages and so on. At the moment the only way to see what pages are included where and what pages call the DB to do what etc. is to go through the files one by one and look at the code and then cross match this with other pages to see where data comes from and where it's going. I'm hoping someone has been in the same situation and has done this before.

<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  06:13:55  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I'm pretty sure you'll find everyone has been in that situation

There is no better way to learn than by looking yourself. Telling you what everything does might speed thinkgs up slightly, but it will not give you the understanding which is of far greater benefit.

<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  06:41:47  Show Profile
arr, yeah, I just wish I didn't have a deadline

Ah well, if I spend a week or two documenting the files and calls and functions I'll post it up here somewhere.

<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:01:48  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
And then you would need to do it again when 3.4 is released, and then again when the internationalise 4 is released, which works very differently.

<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:17:47  Show Profile
Not really, if I start documenting and customizing this version then we'll stick to it until there's a real business-based reason to move on.

Problem is I'm starting to think the effort might be more trouble than it's worth. We're gonna need to tie it into another member database on SQL Server, and having each pageload connect straight to the DB will be a scalability nightmare without connection pooling and stored procedures. And I'll need to know just what pages call the DB and what they do to be able to even consider building that. Ah well, we shall see.

<
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Intergrating with another member DB is usually not to hard, many have just used a SQL VIEW to do this.

Almost every page hits the DB in one way or another !

Sounds like your forum DB is not going to be sql ? or not the same server as the one with the existing membership DB ?

www.daoc-halo.com<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:43:20  Show Profile
Yeah, it is an SQL Server, and the same physical box as the other DB. I can do the DB matching thing simply by adding to the script that'll add/drop a member from the Snitz one if I add/drop them from the primary one, so that's no problem.

Ah well, I'll compromise and look at a few of the Snitz pages and then try to figure something out, can't really justify spending a week or two just on writing documentation before I even consider modification at the moment. From what I've seen so far there are a *lot* of DB connections, which could be a problem.

Thanks for the replies anyway

<
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:47:49  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Theres only one connection used in inc_top.asp (my_conn) or are you referring to Recordsets ?

www.daoc-halo.com<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  07:58:02  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
As Gremlin said, there is only one connection per page, it is opened in inc_top and closed in inc_footer

You will get much further if you jus plow in and ask specific questions as a nd when you need to. You will find most functions are in the inc_functions.asp notabley, you should look at the dateToStr and strToDate functions, as the forum does not use dateTime data types.

<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  08:04:19  Show Profile
hmm, no, sloppy wording I suppose, I meant connections in general, both the call and the ADO object creation and use. Anyway, feeling we're getting in very deep in my specific situation.

The basic problem is that I won't know how much work is needed to customize it until I've documented it fairly thouroghly myself. That's why I'd like specs on the files and outlines on what they do and the critical functions.

<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  08:19:51  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

The basic problem is that I won't know how much work is needed to customize it until I've documented it fairly thouroghly myself. That's why I'd like specs on the files and outlines on what they do and the critical functions.

I don't follow, you should be able to see from it's functionality what customising you need to do, rather than from within the code.
If you ask specific questions, you will get a very speedy response.

It is pretty simple, we have users of all degrees of competance who come here for the same reason as you, just ask way and explore, you will be surprised how quickly you find the answers you need.

<
Go to Top of Page

thefallen
Starting Member

7 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  08:28:48  Show Profile
Yer, as I said earlier, I'll look at it a bit and see what it looks like and see if it seems as if it's worth spending the time customizing it or not and to what extent.

Thanks for the input

<
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20580 Posts

Posted - 11 March 2002 :  08:44:13  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
You may also want to check out my site http://www.magicmushroom.org.uk/ this has manyof the most popular mods pre installed, I think Davio also has a modded version for download, so you may find some of the things you want are already available.

<
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07