Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Win XP, TCP/IP, and my latest migraine...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2008 :  17:16:07  Show Profile
Visit Toshiba's website and download the appropriate drivers for that laptop network interface and try re-installing them. It seems to me I had to use Toshiba's nic drivers on my Satellite. You may want to download all the drivers for that computer and burn a CD for the future too.

And if it's a hardware issue, as far as I know Toshiba will be obligated to honor warranty regardless of the OS you installed. The few times I have needed to use their laptop support (I've been a Toshiba laptop owner since about 1998) I found their support to be pretty decent.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2008 :  11:47:19  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I've already re-downloaded the drivers and re-installed them with no luck. (And I always keep a backup of the drivers... just in case. )

I'll have to give their tech support guys a ring. I've generally avoided that as I haven't reached too many good support centers... but those are another story for a different time.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2008 :  13:58:54  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
I'd have to agree with Doug, Toshiba are a hardware manufacturer not a software vendor, changing OS would not invalidate your warranty in any way, they can not force you to use a particular OS if you don't want to, as long as you have a legal version of the OS they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, if you open the case or tamper with the hardware then yes, but softwware and OS has nothing to do with them
Go to Top of Page

gary b

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2008 :  17:24:06  Show Profile  Visit gary b's Homepage
Being late into a thread after so many more educated minds than mine have expounded on an issue is probably silly. But I have had many 'silly' moments in my life, so I barge in with no fear of humiliation.

Have you:
1a. Disabled the built-in NIC?
1b. Then tried a USB PC Card (PCMCIA) network adapter?
2. Verified no firewall issues by turning OFF firewall?
3. Posted results of ipconfig /all command for review?
4. Noted that ipconfig /renew should be (?) PREceded by ipconfig /release
5a. Have you reviewed all DHCP leases to see if # of leases matches number of network devices?
5b. Is router configured for too few DHCP clients? [Set to allow three and you have four network devices because of bogus IP lease]
6. What happens if you connect cable modem directly to laptop with laptop set to DCHP?? [Let cable modem serve as DHCP server]

All I can think of now...

Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2008 :  18:40:14  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by gary b

Being late into a thread after so many more educated minds than mine have expounded on an issue is probably silly. But I have had many 'silly' moments in my life, so I barge in with no fear of humiliation.
haven't we all... by all means, barge in.

quote:

1a. Disabled the built-in NIC?
1b. Then tried a USB PC Card (PCMCIA) network adapter?

Didn't have one handy the last couple of trips to mom's house. I've brought the laptop home, so I'll be giving it a whirl in a few

quote:

2. Verified no firewall issues by turning OFF firewall?
Done, and done twice more just for good measure.

quote:

3. Posted results of ipconfig /all command for review?

Done but not posted. There's nothing odd/unusuall/etc. outside of the fact that it says it can't get an IP from the host.

quote:

4. Noted that ipconfig /renew should be (?) PREceded by ipconfig /release
Done, and done twice more in the hopes that it would magically work the second or third time 'round (I've seen stranger things...)

quote:

5a. Have you reviewed all DHCP leases to see if # of leases matches number of network devices?
5b. Is router configured for too few DHCP clients? [Set to allow three and you have four network devices because of bogus IP lease]
Checked and checked. All devices are accounted for, and I made sure there was room for me and my other sister to bring our laptops over to the house and hook up without any issues.

quote:

6. What happens if you connect cable modem directly to laptop with laptop set to DCHP?? [Let cable modem serve as DHCP server]

Since the cable modem is in the laundry closet, I really didn't get that far. I may try it now that I've got it at my house.
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2008 :  20:49:01  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Tried to hook it up to my network (even directly to the cable modem), and I ran into the same trouble. Disabled all built-in networking devices and used a known good PCMCIA WiFi card, same troubles. Re-installed SP2, no change. I gathered up all the disks for her games and I'll just be doing a clean install later this week as I'm tired of dealing with it. Such is life. =/
Go to Top of Page

gary b

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2008 :  23:28:12  Show Profile  Visit gary b's Homepage
Whew! Seeing all of those measures failed, laptop is a prime candidate for clean install!

Sorry suggestions didn't work...

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2008 :  05:10:44  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
sounds like a bit of a nightmare AnonJr, I hope a clean install fixes it, if not it has to be a hardware fault
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2008 :  06:39:10  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Tomorrow I'll call Toshiba, and if they can't help me I'll whip out ye ole Windows CD and start the clean install. Hopefully this problem doesn't come back...
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 02 April 2008 :  17:46:07  Show Profile
Without re-reading all, you have checked your wifi encryption settings and channel settings, right? DHCP won't work if your encryption settings or passphrase are wrong.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 03 April 2008 :  06:59:00  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I checked, double-checked, and then tried to hook it up via the LAN - all with no joy. I even disabled all the built-in adapters and tried a known good PCMCIA WiFi card.

Tonight I'm going to boot off of an Ubuntu Live CD to make sure its not a hardware issue.
Go to Top of Page

mahvin
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2008 :  06:17:14  Show Profile
I'm thinking its a BIOS issue, seeing that you went from Vista to XP. Have you checked your BIOS settings?
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2008 :  08:52:56  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Wasn't a BIOS issue. It worked fine for quite some time, and has worked fine since I did a clean install. Toshiba was a little less than helpful on this one... such is life.
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4206 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2008 :  19:22:42  Show Profile
Something no one else suggested - check the date & time. If they are off considerably, lots of things won't connect.
Go to Top of Page

mahvin
Starting Member

48 Posts

Posted - 29 April 2008 :  20:09:36  Show Profile
Sweet! Glad you got it working with the clean install. When I downgraded my Toshiba laptop I had to reset my BIOS settings, and it led to all kinds of problems, other than connectivity, which led me to upgrading back to Vista (which I despise). I guess every case is unique. Reinstalling Vista took 8.5 hours! Microsoft calls that an improvement? LOL!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07