Help Groups for Snitz Forums 2000 Users
 Help: Database: MS Access
 I need help converting our Access forum to
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mkervin

100 Posts

Posted - 29 March 2011 :  16:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SQL or MySQL, whichever someone suggests. I read the FAQ on doing it but the links and other pages are all dead and I don't know where to begin. Anyone, I really can use the help...thanks.

Edited by - mkervin on 29 March 2011 16:54:28

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 30 March 2011 :  16:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
I converted my Access to MSSQL. I had a few attempts with a test site so that I could make a note of each step before I eventually converted the live site.

I used SQL server management studio and DTS Wizard.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK
Go to Top of Page

mkervin

100 Posts

Posted - 31 March 2011 :  07:14:02  Show Profile
Mr. Pink, thank you. I don't have MSSQL, I downloaded the Free MySQL. I was able to copy all my fields to MySQL via MS Access export. I had to install the ODBC driver and install it, then I had to do some installs in control panel to make it accessible to MS Access but all the tables came over just fine. And it looks like all the data is there, now I need to test it before I go live with it. And that is the next hurdle I am trying to cross; I can't make a connection to it via Snitz.
Go to Top of Page

Mr Pink

United Kingdom
387 Posts

Posted - 31 March 2011 :  08:34:12  Show Profile  Visit Mr Pink's Homepage  Send Mr Pink an AOL message
I can't help you with your local machine, I'm hopeless in that area. Can you set up a forum in another part of your website? a sub domain or another folder might do.
As far as I know, you need to let the forum setup file create the tables in your database, then you should transfer the data into it.

Martin
Leyland Forum Leyland Lancashire UK
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 01 April 2011 :  17:48:53  Show Profile
mysql server normally connects over tcp port 3306. Make sure you don't have a firwall blocking the mysql port between machines.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07