Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 19 December 2010 :  21:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
Something has happened to my database, I am getting an "Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005' Unrecognized database format" error.
I have checked TOPIC_ID=38565, and have followed most of the suggestions. I can open the database using Access 2000 without error and have looked at the tables and all seems well.
Further to the above, I can open the database without the above error on my laptop using IIS, so I do not think it can be the database that is faulty? Has something happened at the server end and if so what?
Any ideas?
Nick

Edited by - Nick Feakes on 20 December 2010 12:21:53

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2010 :  16:58:53  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Did anything change? Servers? The database itself?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2010 :  17:38:56  Show Profile
Hi ruirib
Nothing as far as I know. I have copied the database to my laptop and created an asp file to access it using the connection string from config.asp and I can access it OK. I added a line to inc_header.asp to display strConnstring and that checks OK. I have copied the complete version of inc_adovbs.asp just in case that had become corrupted, all to no avail.
Is there any part of the database held anywhere else withing the forum?
I have another Access database on the same server that is working fine so I think the Microsoft OLEDB drivers must be OK?
Nick

Edited by - Nick Feakes on 20 December 2010 17:46:34
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2010 :  18:49:44  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
The problem is to know what driver versions are on your servers. Have you contacted your host?
These things do not occur out of the blue, so something must have happened. The fact that you can run the site locally using the database says nothing about the server's drivers...

Have you tried to compact the database in your computer and then upload it to the server?

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2010 :  19:19:00  Show Profile
Thanks for the response.
I have compacted the database and uploaded it to the server - no change.
I have created a new forum database with only one table and the forum reads it OK. It throw up a different error of course because of the missing tables and fields but that shows there is something wrong with my database but I can open it without error on my own PC, so do you know what to look for in the database that might be causing this problem?
Nick

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 20 December 2010 :  19:50:14  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
If that create database operation worked, I would do this:

1. Create a new blank database.
2. Import all the tables from the existing database to the new one.
3. Upload the new database to your server.

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 21 December 2010 :  22:27:37  Show Profile
Importing the tables into a new database didn't work. I have imported all the data into a new database using .csv files and it works provided I use the original (Snitz) FORUM_FORUM table. As soon as I try to use the information in my original FORUM_FORUM table it fails with the usual message.
I believe the problem lies in the matching of the information in FORUM_FORUM and FORUM_TOPICS and FORUM_REPLIES. Can you please tell me what the fields in FORUM_FORUM should contain so that I can check these 3 tables tie together (are there any other tables that are referenced in FORUM_FORUM?).
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  06:23:53  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Why didn't the table import work?

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  09:33:42  Show Profile
No idea, it just gave me the "unrecognized database format" error again. If I replace the FORUM_FORUM table with one with blanks in the F_TOPICS, F_COUNT etc (the fields that change as the site grows) then the forum loads OK. I am uncertain of the use of F_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID. Does this field carry a zero if the last post (F_LAST_POST_TOPIC_ID) did not have a reply or is it the ID of the last reply to any question in that forum?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  09:46:11  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
So the problem lies with one of your tables and you think it's FORUM_FORUM?
If there is no value, F_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID is NULL, otherwise is the iD of the last reply.

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  17:20:34  Show Profile
I believe so, I have uploaded a version of the database with all the tables as per the database that will not open with the exception of FORUM_FORUM which has null fields for F_TOPICS, F_COUNT, F_LAST_POST_AUTHOR, F_LAST_POST_TOPIC_ID, F_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID, F_A_TOPICS, F_A_COUNT and F_L_ARCHIVE. Those are all the fields that I guess change as the forum grows? This database works fine so I am fairly sure it is the numbers in FORUM_FORUM that are incorrect that is causing the problem.

I am guessing that F_TOPICS is the number of topics in that ID, is F_COUNT the sum of the topics and replies in that ID? I think all the others are obvious but if you would define each of those for me just to be sure I would be grateful.
Thank you for all your help, I am making progress
Nick

Edited by - Nick Feakes on 22 December 2010 17:33:56
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  17:27:15  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
F_COUNT is the number of posts (topics + replies) and F_A_COUNT the number or archived posts.
I don't think it's the table data that creates such a situation, but something must have been corrupted in the table structure.

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  18:48:58  Show Profile
It works again! Somehow the numbers in FORUM_FORUM didn't agree with the actual topics and replies and this prevented the database from opening. I haven't restored the archived records yet, that can wait until after Christmas!
Thanks again for all your help
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 22 December 2010 :  19:01:08  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Nick,

I am glad you sorted it, but believe me - the issue was not a discrepancy between the values in the tables and the actual tables contents. The database has no way to know what the numbers in the FORUM_FORUM table mean.

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2010 :  10:24:54  Show Profile
ruirib
On the face of it, I would agree with you. The part that puzzled me was the fact that I could open the database with Access but not with the forum software. I then wrote a simple asp file using the jet engine to open the database and that worked OK. I then knew it wasn't the database itself that was at fault but something in the forum software. I think what happens is if the values in FORUM_FORUM do not tie up with the contents of the other relevant tables, the Jet database engine assumes the database is corrupt and produces that error message. With all the tables (including the FORUM_FORUM with the incorrect values) the database wouldn't open. Replacing FORUM_FORUM with a new version with null values in all the fields referring to the other tables, the forum opened OK (albeit with no topics or replies / authors showing). That is how I knew I was on the right track. Completing the fields in FORUM_FORUM with the correct values restored the forum to its former glory.
On a related issue, if I stop the forum when the database is open, does it close the database or could that lead to a corrupt database? Is there a way of knowing if the database is open or closed? I am thinking of a way to backup the database regularly but I want to make sure the database is closed.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2010 :  11:19:46  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Nick,

The error you say is not from the forum code, it's from the web server. I am sure something was corrupt on the FORUM_FORUM table structure, not with its values. If you move a topic from one table to another, using SQL, for example, that will mean the numbers are not correct, but that doesn't stop any forum from working. Why do you think Snitz has a routine to update forum counts?!

The only way to make sure nothing is being done with the database is to close down the forum. Then you can safely download the database.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07