Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  11:19:52  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to connect to the Access DB. I have used the virtual path, physical path, DSN. I even set up a "Forum" web in the root of my localhost. I have used "whereami" and copied the content to the config.asp. I have tried access 2000 and access 97 physical path.

oddly, i got connected yesterday on my localhost and was making some changes...adding a user to test it, and after a while and some setup changes, it crashed and now i cannot open it again.

It should not take me this long (about 6 hours now) to open the forum.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  11:40:15  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
I missed a step....setup.asp. my bad.
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  11:44:38  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
OK, now I got one step further with setup.asp, but when i go to the forum i get the following:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Unknown
/iialumni/default.asp, line 108

I have a DSN pointing to the DB.

Suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  12:13:04  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
OK, still getting a problem. Put the forum in a root web on my localhost and it worked fine. however, when i put it in a folder below the root, i cannot get it to work. i get a bunch of the following:

Error: -2147467259 Operation must use an updateable query.
strSql: INSERT INTO FORUM_CATEGORY(CAT_STATUS, CAT_NAME) VALUES(1, 'Snitz Forums 2000')
Error: -2147467259 Operation must use an updateable query.

Thoughts please?
Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  12:55:11  Show Profile
You need to set the folder's permission to write access by the IUSR_(machine-name) account.
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  16:27:40  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carefree

You need to set the folder's permission to write access by the IUSR_(machine-name) account.

I did that. i even reimported a fresh copy of the DB. It works on my local host but not on the server. the network guy said the fpdb folder (which contains the DB) has read/write/modify/delete permissions.

setup runs find, then i click the link to go to the db and get:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'
Unknown
/default.asp, line 108

Is this still likely a permissions problem?
thanks. sorry for the relatively mundane question, but i have spent many hours on something that should only take 5 to 10 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  18:15:36  Show Profile
I'd say to use the Jet.OLEDB driver instead of ODBC. With ODBC drivers the web server user account needs read/write permissions to the .mdb and the folder it's in and the windows %TEMP% directory and possibly some registry keys on the web server. If you use a DSN-less connection string some of those permission issues go away.

There are examples in the readme file, and searching these forums will turn up lots of access connection strings.

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  18:32:07  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
I am now using the following on the server:

strConnString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:\inetpub\wwwroot\timcorey.com\fpdb\snitz_forums_2000.mdb"

setup works fine, so i know it is getting to the DB. But When i click the link to go to the "forum", I get: Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

Any thoughts please. Am I missing something obvious. I feel pretty stupid right now.
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  20:36:22  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
You will need to provide full error info, including what you are trying to do and the server error message, to enable us to provide meaningful help.

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  20:45:21  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ruirib

You will need to provide full error info, including what you are trying to do and the server error message, to enable us to provide meaningful help.

Well, I started over, with a clean database and system. It works fine on my localhost, but when i upload it to the server, it does not work. my host set the DB folder permissions for IUSR to read/write/delete/modify. I ran setup and it seemed to work fine.
It said:
The database needs to be installed !!

so I clicked the link:

Click here to create the tables in the database.

I entered my password twice and then the following came up: (I am only showing a small amount, the errors repeated several times down the page). I searched for the error number on this forum, but did not find anything in "Access" (access2000 db being used with OLEDB driver - physical path specified in config.asp)

Error: -2147217900 Unknown
strSql: INSERT INTO FORUM_CATEGORY(CAT_STATUS, CAT_NAME) VALUES(1, 'Snitz Forums 2000')
strSql: INSERT INTO FORUM_MEMBERS (M_STATUS, M_NAME, M_USERNAME, M_PASSWORD, M_EMAIL, M_COUNTRY, M_HOMEPAGE, M_LINK1, M_LINK2, M_PHOTO_URL, M_SIG, M_VIEW_SIG, M_SIG_DEFAULT, M_DEFAULT_VIEW, M_LEVEL, M_AIM, M_ICQ, M_MSN, M_YAHOO, M_POSTS, M_DATE, M_LASTHEREDATE, M_LASTPOSTDATE, M_TITLE, M_SUBSCRIPTION, M_HIDE_EMAIL, M_RECEIVE_EMAIL, M_LAST_IP, M_IP, M_ALLOWEMAIL) VALUES(1, 'timcorey', 'timcorey', '1a499b3303e4817e8979230728485f432c279fca8f7cf12f4d3e74466bc66796', 'yourmail@server.com', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', 1, 1, 1, 3, ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', 1, '20101208174436', '20101208173936', '20101208174436', 'Forum Admin', 0, 0, 1, '000.000.000.000', '000.000.000.000',1)
strSql: INSERT INTO FORUM_FORUM(CAT_ID, F_STATUS, F_MAIL, F_SUBJECT, F_URL, F_DESCRIPTION, F_TOPICS, F_COUNT, F_LAST_POST, F_PASSWORD_NEW, F_PRIVATEFORUMS, F_TYPE, F_IP, F_LAST_POST_AUTHOR, F_LAST_POST_TOPIC_ID, F_LAST_POST_REPLY_ID) VALUES(1, 1, 0, 'Testing Forums', '', 'This forum gives you a chance to become more familiar with how this product responds to different features and keeps testing in one place instead of posting tests all over. Happy Posting! ', 1, 1, '20101208174436', '', 0, 0, '000.000.000.000', 1, 1, 0)

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  20:58:48  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Obviously something is wrong with your provider's setup. The unknown error points to that.

You have no option to run the forum on MySQL or SQL Server?

Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  21:13:43  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ruirib

Obviously something is wrong with your provider's setup. The unknown error points to that.

You have no option to run the forum on MySQL or SQL Server?

No, SQL is not an option, since i have NO CLUE as to how to do it. I did, however, find out that I had the wrong path specified in my config.sys. I have corrected it, and now setup.asp, asks me to log in to "Upgrade the DB..". I log in and then get the following error:

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'
Unknown
/iialumni/Forum/setup_login.asp, line 78

This is the same error I was getting before. Does that help?
thanks.

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  21:34:19  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Yep, same error. Hard to know what causes unknown errors.

Go to Top of Page

Carefree
Advanced Member

Philippines
4207 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  21:42:36  Show Profile
Sounds like your members table in the database is corrupt. That routine just grabs any administrators information.
Go to Top of Page

timcorey
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 08 December 2010 :  21:58:43  Show Profile  Visit timcorey's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Carefree

Sounds like your members table in the database is corrupt. That routine just grabs any administrators information.

I replaced the DB with a fresh copy. Same error. Any suggestions as to what i should try would be GREATLY appreciated. I started working on this project early Monday morning. It works on my "localhost", but not on the server (NT).
thanks!
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 09 December 2010 :  12:34:07  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
I think you have a server configuration issue. Not sure whether it is the drivers, the permissions, but surely there is something causing that server side.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07