Help: Mail Configuration
 My forum email has stopped working
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  08:51:38  Show Profile
I received reports from some of the forum members that the forum email system was not working. I sent a test message to myself (Administrator), I also requested another member to send me an email, nothing received. I upgraded to 3.4.07 and did the security mods, still nothing. Another member set up a new membership and his email works perfectly. I checked his entry in the database (Access) and cannot see any difference (I did the mod to put a 0 in the last column when someone sends an email, so that obviously worked). I have logged on using that new account and sent myself an email, worked perfectly!
I have tried both ASPEmail and CDOsys and used the testmailcomponent.asp which confirms those as correct. Since one email address works, I guess it cannot be an authentication problem?
Any ideas?

Nick

Edited by - Nick Feakes on 02 December 2009 08:56:10

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  14:04:27  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
From your description, it would seem the issue is not with the email sending system itself, but with the destination email addresses, maybe? This new account, does it have an email address from the hosted domain?

Snitz 3.4 Readme | Like the support? Support Snitz too
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  15:13:41  Show Profile
Not sure I know how to answer your question. The person who owns the two email addresses I know that work, was the person who set up the website originally. The email addresses after the @ are not the same as the website address or the host address. If I log on to the forum using his email address I can send myself an email from the forum that is delivered correctly. If I log on as myself the emails do not arrive at any address I have tried.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  18:12:37  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
The forum email component is not selective on the emails it sends successfully or not. It may be that his addresses are hosted on the same server or something. My guess would be an email relaying issue, so you should contact your host to find out the requisites to send email through the server. I would almost bet on a relaying issue.

Have you checked what email functions work? Member to member fails most of time. What else? Do you have email validation for new members?

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  19:14:58  Show Profile
I have asked the guy to check with the host, I would bet you are absolutely correct.
None of the email functions work except for those two addresses that he uses.
I will report back once I have any info. Anything that I could try in the meantime?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 02 December 2009 :  19:55:19  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Not really sure. Email validation emails should work, if the forum config is right, since it should use a domain email address as sender, to send the email address. Maybe you can try and turn on email validation, try register a new account and see if you get the email (then turn email validation off again).

Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

99 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  10:39:44  Show Profile
Thank you for your help, you were absolutely correct. This is what he wrote:

The suggestion from the forum was correct and I was able to re-produce the error which was suggested a blocking of emails not associated with the server.
I have added an extra line in the script to specify a port number so that it communicates directly with the mail server so bypassing this process, inc_mail.asp file (line 129)...
Flds("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/smtpserverport") = 2525

All is now working perfectly again. Do not know why is suddenly stopped working, the hosts must have changed something.

Great program, thank you all for all the work you guys put into the program and sorting out difficulties, especially "operator error" problems.
Nick

Go to Top of Page

ruirib
Snitz Forums Admin

Portugal
26364 Posts

Posted - 03 December 2009 :  10:46:31  Show Profile  Send ruirib a Yahoo! Message
Glad it's all working again .

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07