Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

DocEVL
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  11:51:45  Show Profile  Visit DocEVL's Homepage  Send DocEVL an AOL message
quote:

I got the same error.
if I use your original code I got the error tiki'd got.
if I switch to gemini's code, 1 & 2 mod break.error don't know the exact wording, something about
no value assigned, like the one you got if you don't have a field in a database.
gemini's new codes don't work for me. non of the display mod will work with that one.. and
I don' tknow what to to now.
I've got messages icons, avatar 2, and category sort new version installed.

This is for those people using Access Database. This will fix the error with 3 and 4 without breaking 1 and 2:

Look for the following code:

if DisplayMode = 3 or DisplayMode = 4 then ' add fields from Forum/Member Table
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_DESCRIPTION, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_EMAIL, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_PHOTO_URL, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_AVATAR_URL, "
end if

' Add final field from Topics DB
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MSGICON "

--- strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS "

if DisplayMode = 3 or DisplayMode = 4 then ' then join FORUM & MEMBERS table linked with Forum ID/Member ID
--- strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM ON "
--- strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.FORUM_ID = "
--- strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID "
--- strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS ON "
--- strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = "
--- strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID "
### strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS "
### strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN (" & strTablePrefix & "FORUM "
### strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS "
### strSql = strSql & "ON (" & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.FORUM_ID) "
### strSql = strSql & "AND (" & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.CAT_ID)) "
### strSql = strSql & "ON " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID = " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_AUTHOR"
### else
### strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS "
end if

' Then specify criteria to select topics
*** strSql = strSql & " WHERE (((" & strTablePrefix & strContentType & " )= " & ContentID & "))"

Note.. I have marked the code with the following notation

### added line
--- subtracted line
*** modified line

I hope this helps people. If you still can't get it to work on Access let me know. This works for options 1-4 on my access 2000 db.

Edited by - docevl on 25 May 2001 12:09:30

Edited by - docevl on 25 May 2001 12:11:01
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  07:46:42  Show Profile
quote:

This is for those people using Access Database. This will fix the error with 3 and 4 without breaking 1 and 2:

I hope this helps people. If you still can't get it to work on Access let me know. This works for options 1-4 on my access 2000 db.

Thanks, this works.

Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  07:49:17  Show Profile
quote:

Hi bjlt,

Are you using SQL or Access database? What version?

I've run my SQL expressiond directly in SQL Server 7 Enterprise Manager without difficulties so I'll need more information to help solve your problem...

Lets start with what the actual error message is and where it occurs (line number) (Tiki'd message does not describe an error message -- only that mode 1 and 2 doesn't work -- is this your case?)

I want to start with what problem you have with the current content.asp file and the current Content Display Editor. We have to start from there. (For example if you are using the current content.asp with the very first Content Display Editor, it simply won't work because the editor is passing a different number of parameters then the current one, plus the parameters --incluing the DisplayModes -- are actually different!)

We'll get your problem solved, bjlt...just need some more info...

Cheers!

I always test the forum on my local pc with PWS+Access2000, then upload the files
on to the server for test with sql. I can't reach my server so this time i just tested with
access 2000. I don't run an English version of PWS so I don't know the error message.
It's something about missing data or filed in the database, like the one you get when
try to access an unexisted column.

docevl's twick works fine on access2000, I haven't tested it with sql.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2001 :  18:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Thanks DocEVL,

Looks like Access needs a more explicit version...

I appreciate you sharing your fix

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2001 :  15:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I'm getting the following error. I don't have the Message Icon mod installed yet but that shouldn't effect this error. Also, I modified the content.asp page according the instructions above for an Access 2000 db. I've done this twice and it came up with the same error both times. Here is the response.write of the error. I ran this query statement through Access and it said the problem was the FROM at the end of the query string.

SELECT TOP 3 FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS, FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST, FORUM_TOPICS.T_DATE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_REPLIES, FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR, FROM FORUM_TOPICS WHERE (((FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID )= 1))
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

The SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument name that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect.

/forum_test/content.asp, line 268

Help, please!

Bookie

If someone can send me their modified file for Access 2000, I would be grateful!

Edited by - Bookie on 28 May 2001 15:30:50
Go to Top of Page

DocEVL
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  11:24:11  Show Profile  Visit DocEVL's Homepage  Send DocEVL an AOL message
quote:

I'm getting the following error. I don't have the Message Icon mod installed yet but that shouldn't effect this error. Also, I modified the content.asp page according the instructions above for an Access 2000 db. I've done this twice and it came up with the same error both times. Here is the response.write of the error. I ran this query statement through Access and it said the problem was the FROM at the end of the query string.

SELECT TOP 3 FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS, FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST, FORUM_TOPICS.T_DATE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_REPLIES, FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR, FROM FORUM_TOPICS WHERE (((FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID )= 1))

The SELECT statement includes a reserved word or an argument name that is misspelled or missing, or the punctuation is incorrect.

/forum_test/content.asp, line 268

Help, please!

Bookie

If someone can send me their modified file for Access 2000, I would be grateful!

Edited by - Bookie on 28 May 2001 15:30:50

Bookie, if you send me your content.asp I can edit it for you. I would send you mine, but it is modded already beyond default.

--------
This is a time that is not a time, in a place that is not a place.
--------
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  11:35:47  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I sent it. Thanks in advance. By the way, did you go to evil medical school to get that title?

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

DocEVL
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  11:57:18  Show Profile  Visit DocEVL's Homepage  Send DocEVL an AOL message
quote:

I sent it. Thanks in advance. By the way, did you go to evil medical school to get that title?

Bookie

Sent you the modified code Bookie, let me know if it works. Since you commented out the msgicon field you had a trailing comma after the last select field (before the from set).

Oh as for my name hehehe, I have a ph.d and my initials are actually evl :)

--------
--------
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  12:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Works perfectly! FYI, I commented out the Message Icon string and the Avatar_URL so I don't have to use those mods.

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:06:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
On display option number 3 (detailed) how do I have it display the 12 hr time instead of 24 hr?

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

DocEVL
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  16:44:58  Show Profile  Visit DocEVL's Homepage  Send DocEVL an AOL message
quote:

On display option number 3 (detailed) how do I have it display the 12 hr time instead of 24 hr?

Bookie

That depends on how the server is set up for date format. The date setting is probably set fro 24 hour format not 12. If you cant change your server setting it would be relatively simple to write a quick conversion utility. Let me know.

--------
--------
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:17:01  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the server. I made sure that the date/time in the admin page reads 12 hours but that must not affect this mod. I'll have to code in the change to have it convert to the 12 hour format. Your help would be much appreciated.

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

DocEVL
Starting Member

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  18:27:17  Show Profile  Visit DocEVL's Homepage  Send DocEVL an AOL message
quote:

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the server. I made sure that the date/time in the admin page reads 12 hours but that must not affect this mod. I'll have to code in the change to have it convert to the 12 hour format. Your help would be much appreciated.

Bookie

Both the regular forum and the mod, on all time formatting, use the chkTime function. When you look at the post time in the forum (outside the content.asp) does it show 24 hour or 12 hour? Can you post your site so I can take a look at it?

--------
--------
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2001 :  19:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
The forum shows 12 hour time and the page with content.asp shows 24 hour time. I'd post the url but it is a corporate intranet. Any thoughts? Thanks for your help Dr. Ev(i)l.

Bookie

Go to Top of Page

thephantom
Starting Member

2 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2001 :  05:13:03  Show Profile
it will not work here

i have downloaded the latest version, have checjt everything what have been writing here. but i stil get the error:

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID = FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID'.

/forumv4_2/content.asp, line 249

line 249 = rs.open strSql, my_Conn, 3

please help !!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07