New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 January 2001 :  22:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Here is a bit of code, I thought I'd share. It allows a user to type in keywords, select a search engine (it's currently working with AltaVista, Yahoo, Google, Direct Hit, NBCi, Britannica, Northern Lights, and Ask Jeevers), and submit it to the selected search engine to perform a search.

I recommend that you use it as an "include" -- then it's convenient to insert it wherever you need, whenever you need...

I added this to the "Search" asp page so that a member can search my forums or the web from the same place.

You can find it here: http://64.225.137.179/Sascom_Forums/downloads/searchweb.txt

If you want to see how it works, click here to get to my forum: http://64.225.137.179/Sascom_Forums/search.asp

Cheers!

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 23 January 2001 22:49:17

stef
Starting Member

37 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2001 :  13:22:29  Show Profile
Nice little mod there Rob. These are the kind I like, just pop it in anywhere and it makes upgrading to subsequent versions a breeze.

Stef.

Go to Top of Page

wedont

Canada
344 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2001 :  19:18:00  Show Profile
Very nice site Rob,
Let me rephrase that: its one of nicest theme I have ever seen.

If i could, I would ask wich software you used for your graphics?

Search Mod:
Just a thought, wouldnt it be preferable to open a new window instead of "sending" your visitor away ?

Wedont
snitz ver3.1 sr2
access 2k.

Edited by - wedont on 24 January 2001 19:23:46

Edited by - wedont on 24 January 2001 19:35:25
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 January 2001 :  19:26:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Ya... I should have done that before I posted it. On my site, it's not as neccessary -- I have sort of a "captured" audience. But you're right though, so I'll probably change it in the next day or so.

Cheers!

Oh... and thanks for the compliment!

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 24 January 2001 19:32:58
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 05 February 2001 :  10:59:55  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Wedont,

Sorry, just noticed you asked me about graphics software...

Anyway, I mainly use Illustrator 9 and Photoshop 6... same as most people probably....

I had an art background in an earlier life

Cheers,

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2001 :  21:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi,

I've updated the file in the original post with 6 more popular engines:

MSN, Go, WebCrawler, Lycos, Excite and Hotbot

Nothing else has changed. So... if you were using the original version, you can download the new one, change the extension from .txt to .asp and drop it into your forum. I've tested it and it seems to work fine...

Once again, the demo is available on the link in the original topic post.

Cheers!

Rob

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 23 February 2001 21:12:23
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  04:45:50  Show Profile
Hi Rob

I am using your Web Search mod and I like it.

Only thing I did was on line 56 in the form tag I added target="_blank" so it opens a new window

Nice MOD, I use it myself more than going directly to my favorite search engines.

btw, your website is just outstanding. You use graphics throughout your site in alot of the cells, etc..., much like what I did, now did you go through every .asp file editing them? and did you just use the tag background="mybgpic.gif" or did you use a background="<% =str %>" tag

Thanks for the MOD

Intrepidone
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  10:49:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Thanks for the compliments!

Graphics: It depended on the asp file. To start with, I made a template file that had the various nested tables and graphics. In many cases, (to ease "upgrading"), I renamed the original file, for example "post_info.asp" to "post_info_body.asp" and then used it as an "include" to that template file which would be named to the original file name -- "post_info.asp". If you stick to this approach, it will minimize changing actual source code. But make no mistake -- there is still a lot of work involved when upgrading the forum.

My feeling is this: surfers are drawn to good looking sites and they don't give a second's thought to the work involved in the first place -- or if the web gets updated. That's my problem. So I'd rather have it look great have have people say, "hmmm... I want to check this out..."

Anyway, I had to actually edit about a half dozen of the files, (post.asp was a lot of work) and the rest were done as described above.

Thanks for posting you enhancement (target=blank), other people can make that change if they want a new window open...

Cheers,

Rob

PS: What is you web url?

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 24 February 2001 10:52:07
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  10:56:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
If anyone's interested in checking my Snitz site:

Cube-Tec Forums

My main website:

Poretti Productions

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 24 February 2001 10:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Intrepidone
Average Member

Canada
515 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  10:57:22  Show Profile
Rob ...

I know waht you mean about it being hard work..lol. I must have made about 150 entries in all my .asp files to cover all the cells and tables to use background="whateverpic.gif" (if there is no pic of that file name it just uses default colors anyway)

I like the way you renamed and did the includes, I'll have to try it that way sometime. I was doing it backwards to that on an old site I was playing with and was having troubles.

My Forum is at Techcare2000

You did a nice job on your graphics .... I wish I had the patience for creating graphics

Intrepidone

I just went to your Poretti Productions site and all I can say is WOW!!!!

Edited by - Intrepidone on 24 February 2001 16:24:51
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 February 2001 :  11:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Oh!!!

Techcare!

Ya, I checked out your site -- Kingston, Ontario... I'm in Oakville.

Very cool looking site. I looked around as well -- I'm a VB ASP/SQL programmer so I was noticing that you guys are certified to the ying-yang!!

Well, come back to my Cube-Tec site in about a month -- it's getting a major face-lift. I'm in the middle of making it a like a "community portal" for our users...

Cheers!

Rob

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2001 :  03:17:33  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Rob... I'm having trouble with this mod
all the sudden... When I try to search
on the web it flips back to the Forum search.

Any clues?

Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

TooOld
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2001 :  19:28:56  Show Profile
Speaking of "searching"... another nice mod is to be able to search other forums. I needed some technical help on a subject and ended up going to 5 different forums, searching each. Would have been nice to search (for example), all ubb forums (already configured in a setup routine).

Understand??

I know they can go to the other forums, but I want them to stay on my board.

-pat-
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2001 :  19:54:35  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:

If you want to see how it works, click here to get to my forum: http://64.225.137.179/Sascom_Forums/search.asp

WOW!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

aspmaster
Starting Member

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2001 :  17:24:57  Show Profile  Visit aspmaster's Homepage
I love this MOD.

I made changes to it so that it can be used as an include file on the search page.

Removed the folders.

Also my sample includes changing the form output to a new page as mentioned earlier on this topic. You can get the file 'inc_websearch.asp' from my site:

http://www.techgrowth.com/forum/inc_websearch.zip" target="_blank">file:http://www.techgrowth.com/forum/inc_websearch.zip

Enjoy!

P.S. My site is under construction so...just don't even bother with it.

Chris
AKA: ASP Master
http://www.techgrowth.com
http://www.cshellvb.com
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2001 :  08:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

Rob... I'm having trouble with this mod
all the sudden... When I try to search
on the web it flips back to the Forum search.

Any clues?

Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

Hi Rick,

First of all, for some reason, I've not been getting Snitz notifications -- and because I've not checked on this topic for some time, I didn't realize you had some problems. Sorry about that...

Well, I'm sort-of at a loss. This mod does not rely on ANY forum code. It is a simple form with a "submit" button. Are you sure it wasn't changed somehow? If it was working before and now it isn't -- something has changed. Any idea what?

Let me know...

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07