Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  14:24:25  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

...<SNIP>...

Also Display Modes 3 and 4 generate the follow error.

Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e14'

Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID = FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID'.

/my_forum_directory/content.asp, line 247

Edited by - Warren UK on 19 May 2001 07:30:21

I'm a little puzzled by this... missing operator is like it can't see the 'equal' sign in the join expressions. Perhaps this is an Access/SQL thing -- there are plenty of differences between SQL and Access. Perhaps Gemini's solution will work with Access. YOu could try this but I have some comments along those lines as well... see below...

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  14:57:50  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

quote:

if DisplayMode = 3 or DisplayMode = 4 then ' add fields from Forum/Member Table
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_SUBJECT, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.F_DESCRIPTION, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_NAME, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_EMAIL, "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_PHOTO_URL, "
' strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.M_AVATAR_URL, "
end if

' Add final field from Topics DB
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MSGICON "

'strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS "
strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS "

if DisplayMode = 3 or DisplayMode = 4 then ' then join FORUM & MEMBERS table linked with Forum ID/Member ID
' strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "FORUM ON "
' strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.FORUM_ID = "
' strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID "
' strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS ON "
' strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = "
' strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID "
strSql = strSql & "INNER JOIN (" & strTablePrefix & "FORUM INNER JOIN "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS ON ("
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.FORUM_ID = "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.FORUM_ID) AND ("
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "FORUM.CAT_ID = "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.CAT_ID)) "
strSql = strSql & "ON " & strTablePrefix & "MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID = "
strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_AUTHOR"
end if

This seems to work for me...

Putting that code break the mode for 1 and 2.

Tiki

Hi Tiki,

The code you listed above does not run if display mode = 1 or 2. So it will not affect the outcome. IF DisplayMode 1 or 2 is being used then it is a simple "one table" SQL statement -- that whole multi-join section is skipped.

The line:

strSql = strSql & " FROM " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS "

...should not have to be moved. Nor should anything you do in the DisplayMode = 3 or 4 section affect what happens when you select Display mode 1 or 2.

Could you tell me what error message you get for DisplayMode = 1 or 2 when you make the changes in the section for DisplayMode = 3 or 4?

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  17:22:14  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

can you call ID´s from the links manager also? - would be great if you could, to create more static linksektions inc_file for frontpage - how about the lassifieds, calendar etc...possible?

mph73

Morpheus73 - morpheus73@hotmail.com

Hi Morpheus,

Actually, the intention is to create similar "display" components for the link Manager, classifieds, events calender, and a newsfeed manager (which I've already created.) Finishing the Newsfeed manager and then a Display COntent component for it, is my next project. Right now it's basically working on my current site -- that is currently in construction (look on the right hand side about half way down at http://64.225.137.179/Cube-Tec_Forums/home.asp). This version is only working with moreover's newsfeeds.

I'm setting up a database backend so that xml's uri/url's are stored in the db for any xml based based newsfeed. Then it will call up the appropriate xsl file to process. The various "display modes" will also be accomplished with xsl files. The display mode 'parameters' will be converted into xsl arguements to dertmine how the stream will be displayed.

Don't hold your breath for any of these though...

This current mod is very well documented and could be easily modified for a number of the other Snitz components... feel free!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 21 May 2001 17:29:24
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  18:00:41  Show Profile
quote:

quote:

can you call ID´s from the links manager also? - would be great if you could, to create more static linksektions inc_file for frontpage - how about the lassifieds, calendar etc...possible?

mph73

Hi Morpheus,

Actually, the intention is to create similar "display" components for the link Manager, classifieds, events calender, and a newsfeed manager (which I've already created.) Finishing the Newsfeed manager and then a Display COntent component for it, is my next project. Right now it's basically working on my current site -- that is currently in construction (look on the right hand side about half way down at http://64.225.137.179/Cube-Tec_Forums/home.asp). This version is only working with moreover's newsfeeds.

I'm setting up a database backend so that xml's uri/url's are stored in the db for any xml based based newsfeed. Then it will call up the appropriate xsl file to process. The various "display modes" will also be accomplished with xsl files. The display mode 'parameters' will be converted into xsl arguements to dertmine how the stream will be displayed.

Don't hold your breath for any of these though...

This current mod is very well documented and could be easily modified for a number of the other Snitz components... feel free!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 21 May 2001 17:29:24

XML sounds cool...will the strings be adaptable by flash?...would be cool if they were...could pull in content to flash sites in a sec

...would be cool if you could build a new post.asp, that would post to the different sections and include radio buttons to check if posting goes into articles, news, links, calendar etc...+ an admin interface to post/delete toplevel/sublevel categories...or even better...talk to tschive who´s modifying the portal mod extensively for a unified system.

mph73

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  21:46:15  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hey Morpheus73,

Flash and ASP is something that I dearly want to get into -- but I have a limited knowledge of. (Very little source material on ASP and Flash/action script -- know of a real good book that deals with this in detail? You're lucky if an author gives you a chapter or so on this...)

Anyway, I have no idea if it will be available to Flash. Perhaps when I get started on this I'll let you know what I'm up to, so I don't close any doors...

Anyone have a simple mod that uses Flash and Snitz??!!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2001 :  21:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

...<SNIP>...
...would be cool if you could build a new post.asp, that would post to the different sections and include radio buttons to check if posting goes into articles, news, links, calendar etc...+ an admin interface to post/delete toplevel/sublevel categories...or even better...talk to tschive who´s modifying the portal mod extensively for a unified system.

mph73

Sorry, almost missed some things that I have a couple comments about....

1) Does someone have a "real" Article mod that allows for votes, does rankings, has a flexible, comprehensive db backend including dealing with html, images, authors, etc. Have I missed something!!!

2) The post.asp and post_info.asp, IMHO needs to be rewritten with not only a clear understanding of where the Snitz Forums came from but where it is going. Any efforts to standardize and modularize these areas is highly appreciated!!!

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2001 :  01:32:58  Show Profile
ASP and Flash...well don´t know so much about it either except that flash seems to work smoother with xml statements that asp statements + strings generated by ASP have to be like myvalues=variable1="value1"&variable2=variable1+"value2"
Well SniffinGlue seems to be pretty cool and is working on a flash instant messenger/user-userchat that works with Snitz...it´ll be up at Tschive´s portal tomoorow I think.

articlemod: well, the protal mod, or at least Tschive´s rewritten version of it (still in alpha - beta out next week or so) has post/rating/report badlink a.s.o. features....go check it out at http://heilpaedagogik.121host.net/portal/

Standardlize(?) target of post: well what you really need is an admin interface that where admin is able to make new/delete categories/subcats and name them. then a statement e.g. should be written to the database in a table called e.g. FORUM_RESSOURCES_ID or so where cat/subcat topic ID - name of cat/subcat/ - type of cat/subcat is stored. then the new ressourcepost.asp should be able to read and list from this table and let you pick which (one/multiple) ressource topic IDs you want to post to

mph73

Edited by - morpheus73 on 22 May 2001 01:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2001 :  09:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Well, I'll be looking forward to any mod that uses Snitz and Flash...

That portal is very cool, but I don't see any evidence of an "aticle" mod that has the features I mentioned. It looks like the links manager has a ranking/voting system... couldn't see the articles stuff...

On the Post.asp/post_info.asp front -- that's not what I meant -- although what you say is interesting. I mean, that modifying those files to make a mod is a difficult. It's sort-of, well, ... ok, I'll say it... "spaghettish"! (sorry to the author(s)!)

The problem is that it's obvious "stuff" just kept getting "tacked-on". It needs to be re-written, cleaned up, and modularized so that it's easy to KEEP tacking stuff on... if you know what I mean...

I'm sure it's on the mind of the Snitz development group.

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Tiki
Starting Member

5 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  01:24:13  Show Profile
Has anybody done any modularization using classes? Seems like an logical extension to add additional functionality.

And the way things are shaping up in ASP.NET, none of the snitz code will work because of all the interweaving of html tags and asp code. .NET does't allow intereweaving.

Tiki
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  09:04:05  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

Has anybody done any modularization using classes? Seems like an logical extension to add additional functionality.

And the way things are shaping up in ASP.NET, none of the snitz code will work because of all the interweaving of html tags and asp code. .NET does't allow intereweaving.

Tiki

Yes -- very good point on the inter-weaving. I originally learned to have asp code (including creating recordsets), at the "top" of a page and then html in the bottom. (As a generality). When I first looked at the default.asp page I was horrified. (Actually I still am!) It's more difficult to work with and seems like "just-in-time" coding as opposed to "planned-ahead" coding.

I may be hurting some feelings about this - so I apologise and I am sorry for being critical here. It's difficult when so many people put their heart and soul (what else when you're doing this for free!) into this product. Nonetheless, without being critical we don't learn and move forwards...

That default.asp page should be the first to be re-written. It creates a LOT of recordsets and the more forums you have the more recordsets it creates. There ARE performance issues with the current Snitz code. I hope people realise I'm saying this because I want the product to be better...

Peace,

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2001 :  23:28:13  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
I've added a couple of little "tweaks" so I just updated the download file. The only changes were in the content.asp file and it should not effect the editor or any asp pages that call the newer version of the content.asp "include".

The new changes however, will effect the resulting layout of your content -- for the better I hope!

Here are the changes:

1) In most cases, I decided to format the message text with the FormatStr function instead of the ChkString function. The ChkString function was not rendering any URL links (I think this is intended!) and any member signatures that were using forum codes. The FormatStr function keeps the often used [url] and other forum codes intact -- this is what is used in the post.asp file for displaying forum posts.

I prefer this. For those of you that don't, I just commented out the original ChkString functions, so you can see where it is. Simply, uncomment it and comment out the FormatStr version.

2) If you are limiting either the message text or subject text lengths (using the SubjectLength and MessageLength parameters), to fit a column size of some kind, you know how difficult formatting can be. Truncating a subject heading is usually done while appending "..." to the end, so that the reader can see that the text continues on -- it has just been truncated. I now compensate the SubjectLength (and in most cases the MessageLength), for tacking on the "...", so that the compensated string size is about the same as the non-compensated one. This should make formatting tasks easier and give subject headings a more uniform look.

Further, the new version does not tack on the "...", unless the SubjectLength (or MessageLength), is smaller than the trimmed text in question.

These are small improvements -- hope you like them..

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 24 May 2001 23:32:19

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 24 May 2001 23:34:12
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  01:54:34  Show Profile
quote:

It doesn't matter. .NET and traditional ASP will be able to run on the same server. This is something that's been stated for a long time in regards to .NET. Companies have spent a lot of time and money building applications and sites in traditional ASP and it would involve a lot of resources to get them converted to .NET. When .NET is released for production, it doesn't mean that traditional ASP will no longer function. Over time it may be phased out, but it'll probably be around for a couple of years. Case in point, how many companies are still using SQL Server 6.5, IIS 3.0, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, etc...

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  02:04:39  Show Profile
I got the same error.
if I use your original code I got the error tiki'd got.
if I switch to gemini's code, 1 & 2 mod break.error don't know the exact wording, something about
no value assigned, like the one you got if you don't have a field in a database.
gemini's new codes don't work for me. non of the display mod will work with that one.. and
I don' tknow what to to now.
I've got messages icons, avatar 2, and category sort new version installed.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  10:47:43  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
quote:

I got the same error.
if I use your original code I got the error tiki'd got.
if I switch to gemini's code, 1 & 2 mod break.error don't know the exact wording, something about
no value assigned, like the one you got if you don't have a field in a database.
gemini's new codes don't work for me. non of the display mod will work with that one.. and
I don' tknow what to to now.
I've got messages icons, avatar 2, and category sort new version installed.

Hi bjlt,

Are you using SQL or Access database? What version?

I've run my SQL expressiond directly in SQL Server 7 Enterprise Manager without difficulties so I'll need more information to help solve your problem...

Lets start with what the actual error message is and where it occurs (line number) (Tiki'd message does not describe an error message -- only that mode 1 and 2 doesn't work -- is this your case?)

I want to start with what problem you have with the current content.asp file and the current Content Display Editor. We have to start from there. (For example if you are using the current content.asp with the very first Content Display Editor, it simply won't work because the editor is passing a different number of parameters then the current one, plus the parameters --incluing the DisplayModes -- are actually different!)

We'll get your problem solved, bjlt...just need some more info...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Morpheus73
Average Member

Denmark
597 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2001 :  11:34:09  Show Profile
What does .NET require of serversoftware? - As far as I´m aware you can start developing in ASP.NET if you have SQL2000 and the .net SDK? - anyone knows? - will the SDK remain free or what will it cost?
If anyone want to have a go at .NET opensourceproject go check out www.ibuyspy.com and (better) the oracledependant ArsDigita are cool projects, if you want to go beyond ASP and PHP

anybody else know of good out-of-the-box communitybuilding sofwares? (opensource)

mph73

Edited by - morpheus73 on 25 May 2001 11:39:36

Edited by - morpheus73 on 25 May 2001 11:41:02
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07