Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2001 :  16:39:21  Show Profile
quote:

I will endeavour to have only one version for Access/SQL. I may need help here for testing... The SQL statement has changed a bit. Although it is a little larger (more fields), it is also simplified, so it might work right away for both...

As soon as I get this fixed I'll post the update...

Rob, if you e-mail me the latest beta pack, I'll test it and suggest fixes to bugs if there are any.

Cheers!

Bulent

Think Pink
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2001 :  16:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Bozden, simonduz, and others that are interested...

I'll package it up tonight and post it...

Look back here soon...

I'll resolve the Private Forum issue soon, and would be an easy fix to the current code...

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 03 July 2001 17:13:03
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2001 :  23:24:21  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi people...

Well, I have also been working on a Content Display Editor that stores the parameters in a database so that you could store templates and recall them. It would also make interactive editing easier since it would always load a "working" version whenever you exit and return to the editor (for example, if you wanted to edit one of the posts, or check a link -- currently when you return to the editor, it goes back to whatever your "default" is.) Once I get the database thing working it will be a much nicer environment to set up templates and format posts.

I was hoping to make the editor "NON" dependant on having the database back-end, that way it would work transparently with folks that don't want to go to the trouble of setting this up. (Not that this would be difficult; the table only has three fields; an ID, a NAME and a PARAMETERS field.)

Anyway, I thought that this would all take an evening!<LOL> Since some of you are chomping at the bit, I'm going to post the files of what is currently on my test site. Once I get the rest done, and the bug testing complete (including Bozden's Access testing ), I'll put a final version on line...

FILES: ContentDisplayMod1-5.zip

CONTENT DISPLAY EDITOR

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 03 July 2001 23:25:52

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 05 July 2001 12:37:12
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 03 July 2001 :  23:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
One other comment...

Since no one is responding to my plea for help on the chkDisplayForum function, I've decide to have three modes for ForumStatus...

0 = Does not check for either Private or Hidden forums.
1 = Uses the current chkDisplayForum function to determine if a topic should be displayed.
2 = Uses a new function that I've called chkDisplayPrivateForum, that looks at the user list of any forum that has a membership.

This will require adding a new function to the inc_functions.asp file. I'll post this later...

This is all working on my local development server, but is not in the zip files that I posted in the previous message. Please be aware of this...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 03 July 2001 23:33:01
Go to Top of Page

dssww

USA
182 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2001 :  09:14:03  Show Profile  Visit dssww's Homepage
Rob,

You have done a great service to this community!

Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 04 July 2001 :  23:25:04  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
Rob perhaps you have already covered this.
I was recieving errors on the last version on certain display modes. Now in this version I am recieving the same error on display modes 3 and 4:
Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID = FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID'.
/content.asp, line 253

I am using an Access DB and I thought I had Avatar and msgIcons Mods installed correctly.
BTW the table layout is much improved I am editing the cell colors right now in hopes I can get the icons and avatars working properly.
Thanks again.

http://easyromantic.webbhost.net -[test site]-
yada, yada.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  00:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi simonduz,

I'm not sure what you mean by "this version". (By the way, I apologise about not having version numbers. I will change this soon.)

Are you using Access, and did you download the latest version which I just posted? If the answers to both of those questions are yes, then I am waiting until Bozden tests it with Access and makes changes/recommendations. I don't have an Access based Snitz forum at this time so I can't test this.

It certainly sounds like a similar problem as before though, so I'm sure if you'll hold on Bozden will have an answer for you...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  00:20:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Rob perhaps you have already covered this.
I was recieving errors on the last version on certain display modes. Now in this version I am recieving the same error on display modes 3 and 4:
Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID = FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID'.
/content.asp, line 253

I am using an Access DB and I thought I had Avatar and msgIcons Mods installed correctly.
BTW the table layout is much improved I am editing the cell colors right now in hopes I can get the icons and avatars working properly.
Thanks again.

yada, yada.

Can you do a response.write on the sql statement and post it so we can try to figure out where the problem is? I use Access so I'm very interested in working the bugs out.

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  08:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi simunduz,

Just in case you're not sure, Bookie is referring to this code, in the content.asp file:

'Response.Write(strSQL)
'Response.End

set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
rs.cachesize=20

Simply uncomment the Response.Write and Response.End, run the page, and copy/paste the results in this topic...

Sorry if I'm being simplisitic...

... and thanks Bookie for helping out...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  10:51:16  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
Ok, great fireworks but it's back to bug squashing.
This display mode 4:
SELECT TOP 5 FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS,
FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_DATE,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_REPLIES,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR,
FORUM_FORUM.F_SUBJECT,
FORUM_FORUM.F_DESCRIPTION,
FORUM_MEMBERS.M_NAME,
FORUM_MEMBERS.M_EMAIL,
FORUM_MEMBERS.M_PHOTO_URL,
FORUM_MEMBERS.M_AVATAR_URL,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_MSGICON FROM FORUM_TOPICS INNER JOIN FORUM_FORUM ON
FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID =
FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN
FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR =
FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID WHERE
FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = 136 AND
FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS = 1 ORDER BY
FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST DESC

This is display mode 3:
SELECT TOP 5 FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS,
FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_DATE,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_REPLIES,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_MSGICON FROM FORUM_TOPICS WHERE
FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = 136 AND FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS = 1 ORDER BY
FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST DESC

BTW: Thanks for the tip Bookie I am always open to ideas.

yada, yada.
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  11:12:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Simonduz,
Have you tried downloading a copy of your database to your local machine and running that sql statement in the query builder? Sometimes that gives you more information on where the error is.

In fact, I just took your statement below and ran it through my local db copy. Everything worked ok except it didn't return any results. You would probably find the same thing but it doesn't hurt to try.

Otherwise, I can't see anything wrong with the statements but I don't know too much about the inner join statement. Sorry I can't provide any further assistance.

I could post my sql statement in my content.asp page for you but that is not the newer version Rob posted the other day. I'm not sure if that has changed or not between the two versions.

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  11:33:30  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi simonduz,

The fact that the SQl statement is using the TOP predicate indicates that it is not the last version that I just posted. I removed the TOP predicate, and used a different approach in returning as accurately as possible, the requested number of replies if ForumStatus > 0.

So... you are using the older version, which I had thought was solved with Bozden's Access update... are you sure something else didn't change?

I ran that SQL statement in SQL EM and it worked fine. Of course, once again, I can't test in Access...

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  11:57:10  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
quote:
So... you are using the older version, which I had thought was solved with Bozden's Access update... are you sure something else didn't change?

Upon futher investigation the files included in the most recent zip don't seem to include all the display modes. The files are dated 6/7 and 6/2 are these the newest? When viewing the contentdisplay_editor there are no mode #s 7-21, no Safe mode, Test mode, etc.
Do I have the latest?
quote:
I removed the TOP predicate, and used a different approach in returning as accurately as possible

Downloaded and tested again with the same results: "TOP 5"

yada, yada.

Edited by - simonduz on 05 July 2001 12:01:08

Edited by - simonduz on 05 July 2001 12:01:31
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  12:40:23  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Wow... now I feel like a real moron...

My apologies to all that attempted downloading the last version I posted... it fact, it was the old version. Bozden, simonduz, bookie, I'm sorry...

I updated the links in my earlier message, and here they are again...

FILES: ContentDisplayMod1-5.zip

CONTENT DISPLAY EDITOR

Let me know how it goes...

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 05 July 2001 12:40:57
Go to Top of Page

simonduz

161 Posts

Posted - 05 July 2001 :  13:45:57  Show Profile  Visit simonduz's Homepage  Send simonduz an ICQ Message  Send simonduz a Yahoo! Message
Ok, 2 issues. First submit link for contentdisplay_editor needs to be changed, you still have content_test.asp listed and not contentdisplay_editor.asp.
Second all display modes return the same error:(on my local copy they do)
Syntax error (missing operator) in query expression 'FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID = FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID'.
/content.asp, line 294

Here is sample output for Display mode 7:

SELECT FORUM_FORUM.F_SUBJECT, FORUM_FORUM.F_DESCRIPTION, FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS, FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_VIEW_COUNT, FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST, FORUM_TOPICS.T_DATE, FORUM_TOPICS.T_REPLIES, FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MSGICON, FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID, FORUM_MEMBERS.M_NAME, FORUM_MEMBERS.M_EMAIL, FORUM_MEMBERS.M_HOMEPAGE, FORUM_MEMBERS.M_PHOTO_URL, FORUM_MEMBERS.M_AVATAR_URL FROM FORUM_FORUM INNER JOIN FORUM_TOPICS ON FORUM_FORUM.FORUM_ID = FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID INNER JOIN FORUM_MEMBERS ON FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR = FORUM_MEMBERS.MEMBER_ID WHERE FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = 136 AND FORUM_TOPICS.T_STATUS = 1 ORDER BY FORUM_TOPICS.T_LAST_POST DESC

Does this help?

yada, yada.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07