Page: of 16

stupidity
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2001 :  17:03:19  Show Profile  Visit stupidity's Homepage
quote:
<snip>
Thanx Stupidity for your help, but it does not seem to work with me (anyway using access version of the MOD). <snip>

I'm using access 2k for my sites as well, in what way doesn't it work? perhaps I can help, if you went through the site you will of seen that the MOD is used on nearly every page outside of the forum directory.

Stupidity

Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 14 June 2001 :  21:46:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Ok, I've installed this mod with Access 2000 and modified the code on my company intranet.

Now, on my personal site, I get an error. I still use Access 2000 and the contentdisplay_editor.asp page works but I get an error when I try to pull up content on another page. Here's the error...

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in conflict with one another.

/forum/content.asp, line 262

Line 262 is the rs.open command.

The page is http://www.bookfamily.net/new_index.asp and the content.asp file is a text file at http://www.bookfamily.net/forum/content.txt

Any thoughts?

Bookie

"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your home."
- George Carlin

Edited by - Bookie on 14 June 2001 21:46:55
Go to Top of Page

Deleted
deleted

4116 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  09:26:43  Show Profile
Bookie,
Do you use Avatar mode? The version I sent to Rob (he released it) had related fields commented out. You source includes these. This may be the reason.

Think Pink
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  09:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
If it is working in the Content Display Editor and it is not working on another page within the same site, then chances are, that the content.asp page is probably not at fault. Does the page that is 'failing' have all the requisite includes? Are the paths from that page to those includes, defined properly or follow the Snitz path structure (ie: the whole mess in one folder)?

BTW, the link shows a working page and I don't think the content.asp page is the problem in this case. I'd be more interested in seeing the text for the page that is failing...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  10:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Good point bozden... of course it is also going to depend on what DisplayMode you are accessing -- one display mode will not result in an error the other will...

To test if this is a problem (not withstanding bozden's comments, which you should check first), go to the 'working' Content Display Editor and enter the parameters that are not working in the page that you are trying create. If this works here, then my earlier statements stand -- it is not the content.asp. If it doesn't work, then it is probably the strSQL statement's incompatability with your database...

let us know...

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  14:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi Stupdidity,

Sorry it's taking so long... I'm struggling with some display issues that I'm hoping to get some definitive answers to -- shortly...

It relates to dealing with images, links, smilies etc., when displaying content. If you're interested here is the link to that post.

I'm sure I'll have some answers shortly...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti
Go to Top of Page

stupidity
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  15:38:23  Show Profile  Visit stupidity's Homepage
quote:

Hi Stupdidity,

Sorry it's taking so long... I'm struggling with some display issues that I'm hoping to get some definitive answers to -- shortly...

It relates to dealing with images, links, smilies etc., when displaying content. If you're interested here is the link to that post.

I'm sure I'll have some answers shortly...

Cheers,

Rob Poretti

Don't worry about me, I'm just happy someones looking in to my problem.

Just watch out for the "one thing leads to another..." bug

Stupidity

Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 15 June 2001 :  21:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
quote:

Bookie,
Do you use Avatar mode? The version I sent to Rob (he released it) had related fields commented out. You source includes these. This may be the reason.

Think Pink

Yes, I use the Avatar mod. I downloaded the original code a made changes to it based on another post for Access 2000 users.

quote:
If it is working in the Content Display Editor and it is not working on another page within the same site, then chances are, that the content.asp page is probably not at fault. Does the page that is 'failing' have all the requisite includes? Are the paths from that page to those includes, defined properly or follow the Snitz path structure (ie: the whole mess in one folder)?

BTW, the link shows a working page and I don't think the content.asp page is the problem in this case. I'd be more interested in seeing the text for the page that is failing...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

The only page I am not including is the inc_top.asp page. It seems to work without it... I did that on another site. Shortly, I'll post the html for the page that's giving me the error... new_index.asp. I stripped out the tags so I wouldn't get the error to work on the rest of the page. That's why you didn't see the error. If I don't get to it tonight (Friday) it's because I rented "Traffic" and my wife really doesn't want me to be on the computer so we can watch the movie.

Bookie

- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2001 :  08:35:14  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
I figured it out. I created another page and put in the inc_top.asp page and it worked. However, on my other site I didn't include that page and it worked. Any idea why?

Why is this mod dependent on the inc_top.asp page? How can I make it so it's not dependent?

Bookie

- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bookie
Average Member

USA
856 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2001 :  08:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookie's Homepage  Send Bookie an AOL message  Send Bookie a Yahoo! Message
Nevermind. I was commenting out the connection lines (set myConn = and myConn.open) in the content.asp page. My bad.

Bookie

- George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2001 :  09:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Right,

Originally, those lines were not commented -- and in fact, with the original instructions for also including the inc_top.asp, two connections would be opened -- a waste of server resources. You can use one or the other...

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 16 June 2001 09:20:43
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2001 :  23:40:20  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi guys...

Sometime tomorrow, I'll be posting some updates to the Display Content Mod, including an update to the editor. Here's what's coming:

1) Changed string processing to some new functions that will remove all forum code and html code, on any strings used for displaying a "subject" link and any message that has the possibility of being truncated in the middle of the message (i.e.: any message that does not have the MessageLength parameter set to 0.

2) Added two Display modes (7 & 8), that uses a new layout "called" Graphical 1 and Graphical 2. These are roughly based on Article and Detailed. However, the layout uses a Snitz table format (table headers are colored using the strHeadCellColor) It is graphical because there are a row of icons for:
  • Viewing the full document.
  • Replying to the post.
  • Email the dcoument poster.
  • Go to the posters homepage.
  • Send that topic to a friend by email.
  • Display the printer friendly version. (Requires Printer Friendly version mod.)
  • A new graphic called ID sort of as a forum identification graphic (like a logo.)

3) A small tweak to the editor called "Test Mode" that first prints the strSQL statement, nicely formated in the Display Column, just before the content is displayed. This has proven to be very handy when testing new code and experimenting. You can copy paste this to Access of Enterprise Manger to build other select statements... or whatever...

Stupidity, I did your mod. It is tested and works. I decided not to implement it in the general release. Tomorrow I will have a post that shows you the modifications.

Cheers!

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:41:27

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:43:02
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2001 :  23:44:29  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi again,

The new functions that you will to put in your inc_functions.asp page are the following:

////////// I TRIED PUTTING THE FUNCTIONS HERE -- BUT IT WOULD NOT WORK ////////////////////

Because the function is stripping out html tags, and the tags are in the function, I couldn't post it in the forum.
It truncated some of the function and turned everything into a link! I will post a sEperate text file that you will have to download tomorrow. Sorry about that!

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I got the original function from a post from this site: http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/demos/StripHTML2.asp I modified it to also strip forum code. BTW, for those interested, a very cool function to strip specific html tags was posted in the general forum in this topic, by Johann Reyes.

You will need to at least put the stripAll function in your inc_functions.asp page for the next version of the mod to work. The other two are useful though...

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:49:16

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:50:32

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:51:22

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:53:20

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:54:29

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 17 June 2001 23:58:14
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 18 June 2001 :  08:43:50  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Here are the new functions as promised. Copy/Paste them into your inc_function.asp file. I recommend you have an "identified" section in your inc_function.asp file so that when there are updates, it is easy to move your custom functions to a new version. I've used something like this.

(At the top of the inc_functions.asp file"

' //////////////////// CUSTOM FUNCTIONS START ///////////////////////////////

custom functions...

' //////////////////// CUSTOM FUNCTIONS END ///////////////////////////////

The link to the text file of functions is: CLICK HERE

More to come...

Rob Poretti

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 18 June 2001 08:44:38
Go to Top of Page

stupidity
Starting Member

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 19 June 2001 :  10:19:25  Show Profile  Visit stupidity's Homepage
quote:

<snip>
Stupidity, I did your mod. It is tested and works. I decided not to implement it in the general release. Tomorrow I will have a post that shows you the modifications.
<snip>

Sorry it's took so long to get back to you but I dont seem to be getting email notification of new posts and I seem to of worn out yet another motherboard and have only just managed to re-build my system (windows 2k really hates change)

If you don't want to post the version of the MOD you have built for me can you email it to me? I cannot wait to get my hands on it (or a new motherboard as I'm using an older system with limited resources)

Stupidity
http://www.thegaytoursite.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07