Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 16

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2001 :  18:04:08  Show Profile
quote:
I love the mod but have some difficulty installing. As soon as I installed the mod, I wasn't able to see any topics. I could see replies. I restored my backup of my topic.asp and I'm fine again. Any ideas? Thanks!
You probably messed up the file while adding the mod. Post a .txt version of your topic.asp file in a new Topic and I'll look at it.
quote:
I did all that stuff and when I go to Set Active Poll it says "New Active Poll Posted! Congratulations!" but then when I go to my main forum page there is no poll there.
Hmmm, only other solution I can think of is to check if you added the code on the default.asp page correctly. If you could post a .txt version of your default.asp page in a new Topic, I'll check it and it would help if you emailed me your admin username and password so i can trouble shoot it myself.
quote:
saw a post earlier about having members only be able to post, and only once each. has anyone started this, finished this on this or other mod?
The option to have only one post per user is already part of the poll mod. The option to have only members vote is probably not what you saw in an earlier post. That was the option to have only members create a poll, but all users can vote.

What you can do is, create a new forum just for polls, make it "Members Only", and that way only members will be able to post. It would take some coding to integrate that option into the mod. And at the moment, I am working on some other mods so I don't have the time to work on this one. But as soon as I have finished, I have some ideas to improve on this mod, and integrate some of the users ideas into it.

Go to Top of Page

Oudie

Taiwan
70 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2001 :  12:27:27  Show Profile  Visit Oudie's Homepage  Send Oudie an ICQ Message
I have a probleum, please help me.
When I set active poll, then it shows that:
Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80040e07'

Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

/111/forum/admin_poll.asp, line 22

¤d¨½¬î¤ô¤@Àþ¶¡,
¤Ñ¦a¿W§Ú¼Ö¯«¥P;
²ö°Ý¬õ¹Ð·Ð´o¨Æ,
³p»»¨«¹M¤Ñ¥~¤Ñ...
Go to Top of Page

Lucky

USA
127 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  01:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Lucky's Homepage  Send Lucky an AOL message
thanks davio,
i'm gonna poke around and see if i can get some help making it one vote per member, just don't want people "spamming" the votes. want each member to have one vote.

thanks again, great mod

Go to Top of Page

gmcm
Starting Member

South Africa
34 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  09:16:54  Show Profile
Well all went well - can ADD and show poll in the category i want

BUT

cannot get the default poll to be displayed on the default.asp page (i use category minimise/maximise mod)

And yes i added the code as shown

Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  11:44:19  Show Profile
Did you select "featured poll" in the Admin Section

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  12:44:47  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Hi guys...

Yes I agree with the "one poll per mod"... but IMHO, I'm not sure about the approach being used...

How are you determining when "someone" is voting twice?

It looks like the approach is not "per logged in user" -- if I login as a different user, and try to vote again, it says that I can't vote twice! This means if people are sharing a computer -- only one person using that computer can vote and I think this is a flaw.

For example in many businesses (in my case, I'm doing a support forum for a digital audio workstation), workstations are used by numerous operators.

We should be able to have one vote per member.

Hope I'm woring here... so please correct me if I am! Comments otherwise?

BTW... great mod otherwise -- lots of fun...

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960

hehehe... I think this post should be moved to: "My Polls! Well sort of...." which was the original slemieux mod. This is the one I installed... and made my comments on. Could a moderator move this to that forum? Sorry about that! (Good grief... are there actually THREE different poll mods?!!)

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 14 April 2001 18:11:09

Edited by - Rob Poretti on 14 April 2001 18:11:41
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  20:02:57  Show Profile
3 different polls?
If you read the first post made, you will see this is the same mod made by slemieux. And if you looked at the title you will see that it says Poll (by slemieux). And if you looked at the last message I posted in the other topic "My Polls! Well sort of...." you will see that I continued the topic here. So you're in the right place.

Slemieux's poll mod was quite basic. And I have fixed some bugs with his mod. And added some user functionality into it. Just like your idea to make it based upon 1 vote per member. But you will have to know, that slemieux made this mod so that un-registered users can participate in the forums without registering first. When users vote, it is stored in a cookie that they voted. Not based on which registered user voted.

Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 14 April 2001 :  22:58:13  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Thanks for the clarification on the various topics... I implemented this mod some time ago -- when there was only one topic then!

Anyway... in many cases, it's great that unregistered users can vote in a poll. However... in many forums, where a polls' value is more significant because active members are voting on some issue, it's more imporant that all members can participate in a vote -- even if they happen to use the same computer. (As in some workplaces.)

Perhaps this would be a good idea for future update -- an admin function that lets you decide whether you want "public" polls or "members" polls. (Or perhaps write a member ID in the poll cookie if the voter is registered and add more conditional statements to perform the appropriate action.)

Hey Davio... thanks for all your help and have a good "breaK"

Cheers!

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

bjlt

1144 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2001 :  14:56:14  Show Profile
what will happen if i change radio button to check box? is it only make the result more than 100%, which is ok, or won't do at all?

I'd like to see a choice between the two when setting up a poll.

Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2001 :  22:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Hmm weird .. I originally tried installing this onto my rather heavily modified test snitz forum and had lots of problems.

So created a brand new 3.1SR4 Release, no other mods, and just copied your default files all over.

Doesn't work .. topic's are not displayed at all. Every reply to a topic is there, but I'm not seeing the first post in any thread regardless of whether its a poll or not.

I'll have a closer look at it, but it does look like this mod still has a few problems even on an absolutely clean install.

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2001 :  22:42:14  Show Profile
are you using SQL Server?
Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2001 :  22:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Yes SQL 7

Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2001 :  23:41:16  Show Profile
open topic.asp up in your editor.

Lines 507 - 509 look like this:

507	strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MESSAGE, "
508' ############################### Poll Mod - 1 line ##############################
509 strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer1, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count1, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer2, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count2, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer3, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count3, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer4, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count4, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer5, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count5, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer6, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count6, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer7, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count7, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer8, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count8 "

change those 3 lines to look like this:

507' ############################### Poll Mod - 1 line ##############################
508 strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer1, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count1, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer2, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count2, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer3, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count3, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer4, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count4, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer5, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count5, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer6, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count6, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer7, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count7, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.answer8, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.count8, "
509 strSql = strSql & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, " & strTablePrefix & "TOPICS.T_MESSAGE "

Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2001 :  01:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Thank you Richard, Id just spent the last hour playing with R.writes trying to figure that wee query out too :)

One down, one to go

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e21'

Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.

/forums/post.asp, line 367

Go to Top of Page

Gremlin
General Help Moderator

New Zealand
7528 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2001 :  02:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Gremlin's Homepage
Again, the resulting query built looks ok to me. And when excuted through Query analyser returns the expected results.

SELECT FORUM_TOPICS.CAT_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.FORUM_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID, FORUM_TOPICS.T_SUBJECT,
FORUM_TOPICS.T_AUTHOR, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MAIL, FORUM_TOPICS.T_MESSAGE,
FORUM_TOPICS.answer1, FORUM_TOPICS.answer2, FORUM_TOPICS.answer3,
FORUM_TOPICS.answer4, FORUM_TOPICS.answer5, FORUM_TOPICS.answer6,
FORUM_TOPICS.answer7, FORUM_TOPICS.answer8
FROM FORUM_TOPICS
WHERE FORUM_TOPICS.TOPIC_ID = 4

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 16 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07