New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  07:33:14  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
Title: Snitz Links Manager
Version: 1.0
Download: Download
Demo: demo
Installation: read the included links_readme.txt file for installation instructions.
Description: Links Manager Integrated with Snitz.
Author: Originally link Manager 4 by Ezebox (www.ezebox.com)
Edited and implemented for snitz forum by frankie
Re-worked by aznknight
Support: Please post questions and problems with this MOD in the Help: MOD Implementation Forum.

Features:
Categories and SubCategories
Admin interface
links added only when approved by admin
links hit counter
search

Changes:
This mod was re-worked from the ground-up.
Database table and field re-named.
Field types of id and yes/no fields changed to int
Support Sql Server
changed "listing" to "links"
Added Banner image support
Redesigned layout of links display.
re-worked admin pages.
support links_mod_dbsetup.asp
rewrote sql strings
re-tabbed and spaced so code is easier to read
support affliates/featured site
fixed single quote bug
fixed paging "1 of 0" bug
uses forum dates
other stuff...

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

Edited by - aznknight on 31 March 2001 03:00:54

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  09:15:57  Show Profile
How very cool!!! I was getting ready to add frankie's links mod when I saw this. The demo looks awesome! I'm going to download this now!!!

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  09:26:40  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Got it working... Great MOD..

Thanks,
Rick

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.

Edited by - rick7165 on 25 March 2001 11:17:58
Go to Top of Page

work mule

USA
1358 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  09:59:20  Show Profile
Just installed it and taken it for a test drive! Very cool! Thank you for time and effort on this mod!

Go to Top of Page

rick7165

USA
1094 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  11:21:04  Show Profile  Visit rick7165's Homepage
Question.... Is there anyway to save the links I already have?

Test Site
www.eastpasco.com
Running on HuwR's SR4 release. Colors and Graphic scheme done by Richard Kinser.
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2001 :  14:23:27  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
you can with some coding, but it'll require you to be familiar with the table definitions for mods...and match up the table fields and do some data type conversion.

I think it's better to just have new links. People might want to add their banners and stuff now.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

fatwillie

Canada
79 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  05:17:32  Show Profile  Visit fatwillie's Homepage  Send fatwillie an ICQ Message
*fatwillie sighs in relief*

It works! I had to delete a few *s but thats ok, cuz when I was done doin that it all worked!

Thanks Aznknight

Fatwillie's Forum
Go to Top of Page

Rob Poretti

Canada
435 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  08:22:35  Show Profile  Visit Rob Poretti's Homepage
Alan,

If I've already installed Frankies version, do I have to "un-install" before I install this one?

Is the DB set up the same way?

Given changes in cookies etc., will this mod work on sr2?

I guess with the new changes that you'v made, and the work involved in implementing your version, I'm wondering it the new functionality is worth the extra work -- i'm tryiong to figure out how much work!

BTW did you fix the single quote bug by using the inc_function.asp function "ChkString(fString,fField_Type)" ?

Cheers!

Rob

Rob Poretti
Sascom Marketing Group ~ Toronto
vox.905.825.5373 fax.905.825.5960
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  14:14:38  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
quote:

Alan,

If I've already installed Frankies version, do I have to "un-install" before I install this one?

Is the DB set up the same way?

Since the db tables are different and the asp pages all have different names, you don't have to un-install frankie's version. One drawback to this is that you can't upgrade your links from frankie's to this version.

quote:

Given changes in cookies etc., will this mod work on sr2?

I don't recall seeing or creating cookies..so this mod should work with sr2. I haven't tested it on sr2 really. Just tested it on access and sql server.

quote:

BTW did you fix the single quote bug by using the inc_function.asp function "ChkString(fString,fField_Type)" ?

Yeah I borrowed code from the form that checks for single quote. ChkString(fString,"sqlString"). I noticed a bug in using this though, I think i'm not using it right. it makes the single quotes to two single quotes so that it's sqlstring friendly..however it keeps it as two single quotes. "Can't be beat" --> "Can''t be beat". I will look into it more when i have the time. At least that's trivial compared to some ugly asp error

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  18:17:25  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
I forgot to mention the feature that sends an email to the link poster when his/her link have been approved. Email setting have to be turned on for this to work. If not turned on, this app doesn't send the email.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

blackinwhite
Average Member

Turkey
657 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  18:25:56  Show Profile
great mode , the first one by frankie was a little buggy.

Do you know that a newer version (v5) of Link Manager by ezebox will be released soon?

Edited by - blackinwhite on 26 March 2001 18:26:51
Go to Top of Page

rsoxhater

120 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2001 :  19:47:14  Show Profile
Any idea how to get it working with netscape? I'm still getting malformed syntax errors on categories with spaces. Thanks!

quote:

I forgot to mention the feature that sends an email to the link poster when his/her link have been approved. Email setting have to be turned on for this to work. If not turned on, this app doesn't send the email.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  00:11:06  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
really? I'll check the netscape issues later tonight.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

Brent Trevel

Canada
122 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  00:25:22  Show Profile  Visit Brent Trevel's Homepage
quote:

Any idea how to get it working with netscape? I'm still getting malformed syntax errors on categories with spaces. Thanks!

Aznknight,

I had this same problem when developing my Portal Mod... Some versions of Netscape (and other browsers) do not like links with spaces and will give an error instead of redirecting you. The easiest way to fix this is to simply Server URL Encode the category title (or whatever record is being pulled that is refferenced in the URL and has spaces) like this:

<a href="ExampleLinks.asp?catid=<%=rs("Cat_ID")%>&cattitle=<%=Server.URLEncode(rs("Title"))%>">

I'm not sure of the exact formating in your Mod but the changes will need to be made in the display category code and also in the link redirect code (if the title's are refferenced in the URL).

Also, I think there is a function in the inc_functions.asp page to do this, but the Server URL Encode method is nice because you do not need to change your display if you pull the title from the querystring, it is automagically converted back into normally spaced text and displayed. Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Brent Trevel,
Combat Intelligence
www.combatintelligence.com

Edited by - Brent Trevel on 27 March 2001 00:29:43
Go to Top of Page

Aznknight

USA
1373 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  02:07:07  Show Profile  Send Aznknight an AOL message  Send Aznknight an ICQ Message
thanks for the pointer, brent trevel .

Okay did some changes to a few pages for netscape compatibility. Zip updated with the updated pages.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com
Go to Top of Page

rsoxhater

120 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2001 :  14:34:09  Show Profile
Ok, no more errors, but theres a problem in displaying the category name, theres a +%26+ everywhere a space appears in a title. You can view that here:
http://www.topprospectalert.com/forum/links.asp

Click on Cards & Collectibles category.

Thanks!

quote:

thanks for the pointer, brent trevel .

Okay did some changes to a few pages for netscape compatibility. Zip updated with the updated pages.

- Alan
www.iamviet.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07