Page: of 4

compose
Starting Member

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  13:30:01  Show Profile  Visit compose's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Davio

When i go to the filelibrary.asp page, it shows the various folders, but it all shows 0 files. That's what I meant when I said 0 files uploaded.

I am guessing the server is giving an error because of this line in the file:
Set Fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

But before I tell you to contact GoDaddy support about it, can you post a txt version to your inc_UploadConfig.asp file as well?
I think that's where the options for the mod is available.

I asked GoDaddy support about the FileSystemObject call that is in the library.asp file and here is their response:

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. The reason that is not allowed is because it will need Full Trust Level. Trust level refers to permissions set in the Web.config file that
dictate what operations can and cannot be performed by Web applications.

Our ASP.NET 3.5 shared hosting servers use the default Medium trust
level with the addition of OleDbPermission, OdbcPermission, and a
less-restrictive WebPermission.

Applications operating under a Medium trust level have no registry
access, no access to the Windows event log, and cannot use
ReflectionPermission (but can use Reflection). Such applications can
communicate only with a defined range of network addresses and file
system access is limited to the application's virtual directory
hierarchy.

Using a Medium trust level prevents applications from accessing
shared system resources and eliminates the potential for application
interference. Adding OleDbPermission and OdbcPermission allows
applications to use those data providers to access databases.
WebPermission is modified to allow outbound http and https traffic.

Unfortunately we cannot provide specific support as to what object or code to use. You may want to consult a community forum or other form of assistance. We appreciate your understanding in this matter."

I assume this code is in all copies of Snitz out there, so what have others done about it? And, if I did switch to another Host what guarantee would I have that they support ASP 1.1 which appears to be the only version of ASP that supports the FileSystemObject call?

Thanks,
Ron
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  14:43:30  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Most of us use hosts that don't block the filesystem object and know the difference between ASP and ASP.NET. In their partial defense, its probably a canned reply.
Go to Top of Page

compose
Starting Member

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  14:53:54  Show Profile  Visit compose's Homepage
How do I know if a portential host doesn't block the FileSystemObject?
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  02:17:04  Show Profile
quote:
I assume this code is in all copies of Snitz out there, so what have others done about it? And, if I did switch to another Host what guarantee would I have that they support ASP 1.1 which appears to be the only version of ASP that supports the FileSystemObject call?

Thanks,
Ron

No Ron, the File Upload feature you have as apart of your forum is NOT apart of the Snitz Forums. It is what we refer to as a MOD, short for modification. It is an add-on to the forum and was written by an individual from the snitz community. You won't find this feature in our forum software.

We already know your host supports File System Object. Remember the test_fso.asp file I asked you to create earlier?

The 500 error is being generated by a recursive function, which I am still figuring out what part of the function it errors out at. But without some specific error, (error 500 is NOT specific) I am still shooting in the dark.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

compose
Starting Member

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  13:57:50  Show Profile  Visit compose's Homepage
I managed to get some additional info about the error. This is being executed when the 500 error appears.

http://www.composeforums.com/forum/pop_upload_new.asp?attachToPost=true&memberFldrID=23&forumID=19
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  00:17:17  Show Profile
I only get the 500 error when I click on that link Ron. What were you seeing differently?

I had made some changes to the files to show some variable values.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 21 May 2010 00:17:36
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  00:55:38  Show Profile
Woops. Site went down while I was working on this. FTP won't connect, site won't connect. GoDaddy web hosting not very reliable it seems.

EDIT: Ok back up after 10 mins. Seems they having some malware attacks.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 21 May 2010 01:57:49
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:17:20  Show Profile
Ok i think I might have figured it out.

It seems the /forum/filetext/ folder should contain the same folders in /forum/sharedfiles/ folder.
But the filtext folder has no folders in it, so it tries to create it, but the server gives the 500 error.

Umm, you didn't have lots of folders in forum/filetext/ when you copied the files over?

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:31:45  Show Profile
So I've confirmed that the problem is the server won't let the script create a folder or create a text file.

The forum/filetext/ folder is missing the same folders that are in /forum/sharedfiles/.
Each folder would have the name of the uploaded file with a .txt extension, in the forum/filetext/.
These are all missing.

So the script tries to recreate the folder and then you get the error.

We could recreate all the folders and files, but that would take a long while as you have a lot of uploaded files.
Still, not sure how come you're missing then.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:41:42  Show Profile
Hmm, but come to think of it, each time someone uploads a file, a corresponding .txt file is also created. And if GoDaddy won't allow you to create a new file using the script, it seems you won't be able to run this mod on GoDaddy at all.

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 21 May 2010 01:51:38
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  01:50:25  Show Profile
A quick look thru godaddy's FAQ, tells me this:

" Keep in mind that with ASP hosting, by default an ASP/ASP.NET script does not have write access to the root directory or subdirectories of a hosting account. If you want to specify write access to the root directory or a subdirectory, you must define write access to that directory through the File Manager option in your hosting account settings."

So try setting write permission to the sharedfiles and filetext folder and see if will work.

And I hope that works for you, because I am finding discussions on godaddy's community forum saying that uploading files won't work on their server. Like this topic: http://community.godaddy.com/groups/web-hosting/forum/topic/code-samples-for-aspupload-3/

Support Snitz Forums

Edited by - Davio on 21 May 2010 02:00:51
Go to Top of Page

compose
Starting Member

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  14:14:37  Show Profile  Visit compose's Homepage
I can't thank you enough for the time and effort you put into this. We are 90% of the way there.

There is a problem with folder permissions on GoDaddy. I cannot change folder permissions except by having them inherit from the parent folder. The only parent folder I have that has write permissions set is the /access_db one. So, I moved both /filestext and /sharedfiles so that there are now sub-folders under /access_db and I had them inherit write permissions (it also applied to all the user sub-folders--I checked.) I made the corresponding changes in inc_upload_config.asp.

BTW, for some reason the folders and files under /filestext were not uploaded when I recreated the forum. I have since uploaded them.

I can now view previously uploaded files and user files that are in the library. I can now "attach" files (those that have already been uploaded). And "Upload" now lets me browse for files on my home system.

BUT, when I click to upload the file, I get the old 500 error. There is a line right above the error box that names the module it is in. In this case it is in http://www.composeforums.com/forum/pop_upload_new_result.asp .

On reading the godaddy link you gave, it makes sense that I would get a server error here (it does not make sense that GoDaddy does not allow full functionality in the upload module). I think at this point that is the only stumbling block and I have no choice except to find another host.

It will have to be a free service becasue this is a hobby and not a business forum. However, I am very leery of going through all the trouble of moving everything only to find a similar problem at the new host.

If you, or anyone, has suggestions where I can find a trouble-free host, can you please let me know by email?

Thanks again--to everyone who put time into this.

Ron

Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  15:20:48  Show Profile
I fixed that for you Ron. You left out a back slash in the folder path in the upload config file.
I tested the uploading and it works.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

compose
Starting Member

Canada
36 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  15:29:48  Show Profile  Visit compose's Homepage
That is fantastic. Thank you again, Davio. I was not looking forward to migrating again.

Now that everything is working, I can look at upgrading. Fingers crossed. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  15:34:23  Show Profile
Upgrading? What you upgrading? Looks like you upgraded already.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07