Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Win XP, TCP/IP, and my latest migraine...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:01:45  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
For Christmas, I bought my little sister a spiffy new laptop. Its been running like a champ up until sometime last week (or earlier, my family is good about waiting a while before they tell me about problems...).

For some strange reason, it will not get an IP address from the home router - regardless of how its connecting (wirelessly, or wired). I've gone through and checked to make sure that its set to automatically get an IP address (it is), I've run ipconfig /renew, I even tried giving it a fixed IP. Nothing seems to allow it to talk to anything else on the network.

I've scanned it for malware - nothing. Nothing new has been installed, outside of Wikipedia, the only site she visits is Millsberry (a kids game, made by one of the breakfast cereal companies... just happens to have some fairly prominent product placement too...).

I suspect its an issue with the TCP/IP installation, but I'm not sure. Short of a clean install, is there anything else I can try?

I should also add that Toshiba won't support it since I wiped Vista to install XP. I didn't do the "downgrade" because they kept giving me the runaround over it and I just got tired of dealing with them.

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:04:59  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
imediate question that springs to mind is do other machines get an IP address correctly ?
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:29:08  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Yes. All the other PCs on the network connect fine. I even brought my laptop over and had no trouble connecting.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:31:45  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
make sure that tcp/ip filtering isn't turned on by mistake
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:32:56  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Hmm. Forgot about that... I'll have to check that next.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:34:25  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
other than that, I don't know, can't say I have ever had any probs.

You could try disabling any firewalls etc incase they are prventing the DHCP handshaking.
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  14:48:57  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I'll find out tomorrow when I stop by Mom's house.

I doubt its the firewall as its the same one I put on the other computers, and its using the same configuration template I used on the other computers. (I'll still check though) Unless she got really inquisitive one night, she's not the sort to go digging into these sorts of things... then again, most 12-year old girls aren't.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20577 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  15:00:37  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
you've not met my niece, she would have had it in bits by now
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  15:51:53  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
That sounds more like my other sister. She's 21 now and at least has a good idea of when to try it herself and when to call for help... though there are still times the former results in the latter.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman

Netherlands
256 Posts

Posted - 25 March 2008 :  16:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Bassman's Homepage
Is the DHCP-client, network-connections or Network location awareness (nla) running under services? (status "start")

Not the first time this services stopped working for no apparent reason. Normally (in my experience) its due to a combination with windows updates and the downgraded drivers.

If all is not working, check the log files, must be a error in there that will point in the right direction

Edited by - Bassman on 25 March 2008 16:31:30
Go to Top of Page

Podge
Support Moderator

Ireland
3775 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  06:23:03  Show Profile  Send Podge an ICQ Message  Send Podge a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried restarting the router? or reinstalling tcpip ?

Podge.

The Hunger Site - Click to donate free food | My Blog | Snitz 3.4.05 AutoInstall (Beta!)

My Mods: CAPTCHA Mod | GateKeeper Mod
Tutorial: Enable subscriptions on your board

Warning: The post above or below may contain nuts.
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  08:12:46  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
I have tried restarting the router, and I was looking for that article (or one like it).

I'm stopping by mom's house later today, so I'll try the list of suggestions... hopefully I can get it fixed today.

Thank you all for your help. Keep writing suggestions if you know of anything else, and I'll let you all know how it goes when I get a chance to try these out.
Go to Top of Page

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  09:24:38  Show Profile
I've had similar problems on work PCs that was fixed by running the following command:

netsh winsock reset
Go to Top of Page

pdrg
Support Moderator

United Kingdom
2897 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  09:36:18  Show Profile  Send pdrg a Yahoo! Message
it's not MAC address filtering on the router causing problems is it?
Go to Top of Page

AnonJr

United States
5765 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  09:48:38  Show Profile  Visit AnonJr's Homepage
Richard, I'll add that to the list of things to try.

pdrg, the router isn't set to filter MAC addresses. Though, I've been meaning to go in and limit the times she has access to the internet... mom says its getting to be a bit of an issue.
Go to Top of Page

Doug G
Support Moderator

USA
6493 Posts

Posted - 26 March 2008 :  22:14:20  Show Profile
Have you tried setting a manual IP in your subnet range and see if the computer has any network connectivity at all? Does the NIC show up properly in device manager? In control panel-network?

======
Doug G
======
Computer history and help at www.dougscode.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.29 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07