New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  18:50:21  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
Firstly, I have to admit that I've only dabbled with tweaking ASP pages here and there. I am by no means a programmer, and nowhere near an ASP developer. I'm poking along and figuring this out, and there are some mysteries to customizing the snitz forum software that are eluding me.

Here is a list of things giving me trouble, maybe you can help:

1. I want to change the forum logo to a javascript file that will randomize the logo. I currently do this on the front page of my site at http://www.hazelip.com/ It would be the same rotation. I'm pretty sure I could do this in the inc_header.asp, but I can't seem to find where exactly to make the change.

2. I want to also contain both the logo and the login boxes at the top in the same cell. Currently, on my main page, this is accomplished with CSS. I would like a way to do this similar to the forum title header at http://www.skepticfriends.org/

3. I would like to use CSS as much as possible. I can strip out all the page-level CSS and use them to create a CSS document to import into each page on load, but I don't know where to put the import statement to ensure that the CSS is applied to all pages. This one isn't super important, but I would really like to get all the style declarations in one file and be done with it.

4. Is snitzmods.com official in any way? I see some mods there that would be good to have such as avatars, IP banning, a PM system, etc. But, I don't want to be grabbing wonky code, if at all possible to avoid.

That's all I can think of now, I'm going to go eat something and check back in a day or two.

Thank you very much for any and all help you can provide,
Jake

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  18:55:20  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Hazelip

Firstly, I have to admit that I've only dabbled with tweaking ASP pages here and there. I am by no means a programmer, and nowhere near an ASP developer. I'm poking along and figuring this out, and there are some mysteries to customizing the snitz forum software that are eluding me.

Here is a list of things giving me trouble, maybe you can help:

1. I want to change the forum logo to a javascript file that will randomize the logo. I currently do this on the front page of my site at http://www.hazelip.com/ It would be the same rotation. I'm pretty sure I could do this in the inc_header.asp, but I can't seem to find where exactly to make the change.

I believe you can do this in inc_top.asp, unless the file name has changed since I last used snitz
quote:

2. I want to also contain both the logo and the login boxes at the top in the same cell. Currently, on my main page, this is accomplished with CSS. I would like a way to do this similar to the forum title header at http://www.skepticfriends.org/

You can modify this in the same file
quote:

3. I would like to use CSS as much as possible. I can strip out all the page-level CSS and use them to create a CSS document to import into each page on load, but I don't know where to put the import statement to ensure that the CSS is applied to all pages. This one isn't super important, but I would really like to get all the style declarations in one file and be done with it.

also, inc_top.asp in the HTML header you would put the style link
quote:

4. Is snitzmods.com official in any way? I see some mods there that would be good to have such as avatars, IP banning, a PM system, etc. But, I don't want to be grabbing wonky code, if at all possible to avoid.

The only mods that I know of that are official in any way are the ones posted on this site, however I dont think snitz backs up any of the mods, however if you need support installing or removing or modifying a mod, you can post in the Help: Mod Implementation Forum, or in the relavent topic in the Mod: addon w/code forum
quote:

That's all I can think of now, I'm going to go eat something and check back in a day or two.

Thank you very much for any and all help you can provide,
Jake

Hope I helped...

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  19:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Da_Stimulator
The only mods that I know of that are official in any way are the ones posted on this site, however I dont think snitz backs up any of the mods, however if you need support installing or removing or modifying a mod, you can post in the Help: Mod Implementation Forum, or in the relavent topic in the Mod: addon w/code forum

Thanks! You've helped a lot!

I erred in my first post of this thread. I meant Snitz Bits, and not Snitz Mods.

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  19:08:44  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
Snitz Bitz is an ok source for mods... there are several out there, best place to shop around though would probably be the Mod Addon Forum w/code

-Stim

Edited by - Da_Stimulator on 18 October 2004 19:09:45
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  20:10:58  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
The files are inc_header.asp and inc_footer.asp which wrap around all the forum content. Shows how long you've been gone Da_Stimulator . hehe Anyways... www.snitzbitz.com has quite a few mods, like Da_Stimulator suggested.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  20:22:01  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
guess I have been gone a lil while huh? heh

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2004 :  06:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sr_erick

The files are inc_header.asp and inc_footer.asp which wrap around all the forum content. Shows how long you've been gone Da_Stimulator . hehe Anyways... www.snitzbitz.com has quite a few mods, like Da_Stimulator suggested.

I've been looking in the header file, and I just can't seem to find where to make the changes. Also, since I want to change the gif to an external javascript, how do I code that to appear in the ASP code without completely borking it up?
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2004 :  06:45:35  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
If you can post the code you want to replace the logo with, I'll show you what changes are needed.

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2004 :  13:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
Cool! Thank you very much, um...Mr. Mule.

<script type="text/javascript" src="../../Scripts/TitleCards.js"></script>

Should I consider using the Site Integrator Mod? Does it simplify a lot of the customization work that I'm trying to do?

Thanks again,
Jake

Edited by - Hazelip on 19 October 2004 13:12:03
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2004 :  18:38:46  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hazelip

Cool! Thank you very much, um...Mr. Mule.

<script type="text/javascript" src="../../Scripts/TitleCards.js"></script>

Should I consider using the Site Integrator Mod? Does it simplify a lot of the customization work that I'm trying to do?

Thanks again,
Jake

yes

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 19 October 2004 :  21:23:43  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
Well, you would think that, PeeWee, but it didn't. Now, I have the word 'Header' at the top of each page but my logo and the login text on the right are still not up top where I want them to be.

http://www.hazelip.com/Forum/ is where you can see what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for your help.
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2004 :  05:54:11  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
Find the following code in inc_header.asp (approx. line 281):
		"    <td valign=""top"" width=""50%""><a href=""default.asp"" tabindex=""-1"">" & getCurrentIcon(strTitleImage & "||",strForumTitle,"") & "</a></td>" & vbNewLine & _

and replace it with the following code:
		"    <td valign=""top"" width=""50%""><a href=""default.asp"" tabindex=""-1""><script type=""text/javascript"" src=""../../Scripts/TitleCards.js""></script></a></td>" & vbNewLine & _

My MODs:

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2004 :  06:24:38  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
Thanks, Mule. But, even if I change it to a full path to the JS file, it's a broken image link. Something's not right...

Oh, and that still leaves me with the floating word 'Header' at the top of each page. I want to move what's at the top of each forum page, as well as change it a little, up into that header space I got from the Site Integration MOD.

-Jake
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2004 :  06:45:55  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
Thanks, Mule. But, even if I change it to a full path to the JS file, it's a broken image link. Something's not right...

Your script did output the following image:
http://www.hazelip.com/Forum/imgs/TitleCards/TC0002.png
There's probably something you'll have to fix within the JavaScript.

If you want to rearrange the header (logo/navigation/login/logout) I recommend not using the Site Integration MOD, but change the code in inc_header.asp instead.

My MODs:

Useful stuff:

Edited by - OneWayMule on 20 October 2004 06:46:05
Go to Top of Page

Hazelip
Starting Member

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2004 :  07:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Hazelip's Homepage
I did use the Site Integration MOD. It didn't really do me any good. How do I remove the junk at the top of the forum below the 'Header' text?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07