New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

aspwiz

250 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2004 :  05:03:44  Show Profile  Visit aspwiz's Homepage
It is a common occurence for Forum Noobs (and sometimes those who know betterr) to ask questions in the middle of a thread or just generally divert the topic to a degree where it would be beneficial to split the topic at a certain point to create a new thread.

I have seen this feature in use on the asp.net forums and have to say, it is a moderator's tool that you wonder how you did without (once you have it in your arsenal!)

Anyone ever contemplated this?

tribaliztic

Sweden
1532 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2004 :  05:29:52  Show Profile  Visit tribaliztic's Homepage  Send tribaliztic an ICQ Message
Do a search on this, there was a mod that did this. I have tried to make it work but no luck. The mod is here or at shnforum.com.

/Tribaliztic
- www.gotlandrace.se -
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2004 :  09:58:04  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
So far it does not work. It was made for an older version of the forum and was never updated for some reason or another.

Here is a link to my Snitz powered Drag Racing site.
Go to Top of Page

PeeWee.Inc

United Kingdom
1893 Posts

Posted - 13 October 2004 :  11:25:46  Show Profile  Visit PeeWee.Inc's Homepage
If i remember right, it's a mix of two MODS, that when added will do this. Dont remember the names. Sorry for not really helping atall

De Priofundus Calmo Ad Te Damine
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2004 :  17:27:49  Show Profile
I've started messing around with this idea. In addition to splittinng a thread, wouldn't it be nice if you could also create a new thread from a single reply?

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

Gargoyle

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2004 :  18:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Gargoyle's Homepage
Yes cripto9t that would be perfect. That way when a topic gets off track a new topic can be made from it as well as all of the replies under that reply. Is that what you were thinking ??

PeeWee.Inc It was made out of the bookmark MOD.

Here is a link to my Snitz powered Drag Racing site.
Go to Top of Page

cripto9t
Average Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2004 :  19:44:04  Show Profile
What I have in mind (and the way I've started out) is you will have a choice to either split the topic (new topic with all replies that follow) or just move the single reply to it's own topic (leaving the following replies alone).
I figure the single reply thing is along the same track as splitting the topic and I've seen plenty of off topic replies with none or a few responses (usually telling them it would be better off starting a new topic ) with replies that are on topic below it.

_-/Cripto9t\-_
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2004 :  21:43:10  Show Profile
You can't imagine how indespensable this feature is, in the forums that have it.

I am a super mod on a vBulletin board, and it has this split thread feature, which allows you to select the posts (topic or replies) that you want to put in the new thread. After you select the posts, it moves the posts you selected into a new thread, leaving the rest of the other posts in the other thread.

It is a great tool. I think this can be done for a Snitz forum. Would need to change the topic_id's and/or category id's for each topic/reply. Don't know what else would need to be done.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  01:25:01  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
I have played around with this some time ago and had 2 features already working:
- move 1 reply to another topic
- move 1 reply and all following replies to another topic

I wanted to add some more features but lack of time got me away from it.

Also, one thing that I wasn't sure how to handle it was - what would be the best way to select the topic you want to move the posts?

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  02:28:17  Show Profile
Well, the split topic feature I was talking about, didn't move it to another topic. It created a new topic from posts you selected from another topic.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

tribaliztic

Sweden
1532 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  03:15:53  Show Profile  Visit tribaliztic's Homepage  Send tribaliztic an ICQ Message
I REALLY want this!! =)
Is there some way I can help, just ask!

/Tribaliztic
- www.gotlandrace.se -
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  05:41:14  Show Profile
I wouldn't mind a mod like this either. No more telling people to start a new topic.

I'll probably do it for my forum, then if I feel kind enough, I'll post it over here for tribals to get his fingers on it.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page

tribaliztic

Sweden
1532 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  05:47:20  Show Profile  Visit tribaliztic's Homepage  Send tribaliztic an ICQ Message
Wild horses couldn't keep my fingers away from this mod! ;)

/Tribaliztic
- www.gotlandrace.se -
Go to Top of Page

muzishun

United States
1079 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  13:50:10  Show Profile  Visit muzishun's Homepage
I'd be really interested in it as well. One feature that I'd definitely like is to be able to move specific replies either to their own thread or to a new one. That way, if replies 6 and 11 were off topic, I could move just those two to their own... please post this when you get it done. I can't wait!

Bill Parrott
Senior Web Programmer, University of Kansas
Co-Owner and Code Monkey, Eternal Second Designs (www.eternalsecond.com)
Personal Website (www.chimericdream.com)
Go to Top of Page

Da_Stimulator
DEV Team Forum Moderator

USA
3373 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  14:10:06  Show Profile  Send Da_Stimulator an AOL message  Send Da_Stimulator a Yahoo! Message
This would be an awsome addon... whoever's working on it, let me know if assistance is needed, I'd be willing to devote some time to making this work.

-Stim
Go to Top of Page

Davio
Development Team Member

Jamaica
12217 Posts

Posted - 18 October 2004 :  14:16:51  Show Profile
Would you devote in cash instead Stim?
I have a paypal account, you can drop in a few dollars. Would really get the mod out quicker.

Support Snitz Forums
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07