Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Comcast aka Internet Police
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:42:17  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
About 3 weeks ago my cable connection stopped working. When I called Comcast they said my account was flagged by technical support stating that a reconnect would be based on information provided to them based on my internet usage. I called them up and told them I download a lot of legal files from ITunes and do a lot of file transfers to and from work. They then stated that they wanted to send a technician out to inspect my equipment because my usage had been too high. When I asked them what is "too high" they didn't have any other answer but "more than the average user". Anyway, I told them I did not want anyone coming to my house as I felt it was a violation of my privacy. They said they would reconnect me in 4 days but if my usage was "suspicious" again, they would cap and/or disconnect me again.

2 days later, someone comes knocking at my door. It was a Comcast rep wanting to inspect my equipment. I was so furious because I already told them that I would not authorize that (honestly I have nothing to hide, but the whole principle of the matter was at stake). The technician stated that this would affect my reconnect status. I told the guy to wait, collected all of my cable equipment, including my service for my cable tv had the guy sign for it and told him to have a "nice day" (actually, I don't think I used the words "nice day" ). I decided that I would go with DSL from that point.

Anyway, to make an even longer story short, I also recently moved so instead of getting the DSL I called Comcast and got service hooked up in my wife's name at a new address. I figure they'll have a hard time putting 2 and 2 together.

So I am back up and running, but I see that Comcast has been starting to do this to a lot of people. I don't have a problem with Comcast setting limits, but they refuse to tell you what those limits are.

Similar Story here...
http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-5079624.html

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:45:50  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
Is it possible you had an emailer type virus or someone was using your SMTP server as a relay?

Snitz 'Speedball' : Site Integration Mod : Friendly Registration Mod
"In war, the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won"
Go to Top of Page

dayve
Forum Moderator

USA
5820 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:56:03  Show Profile  Visit dayve's Homepage
I've seen virus' cause a chatty network, but I've monitored my entire network with SolarWinds and did virus scans constantly. Nothing came up "suspicious".

Go to Top of Page

Dave.

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  18:27:11  Show Profile
Ouch.

I download well over 60GB a month, and I'm running a webserver on my Cox cable connection. [:{]

....I pay $40/mo for a 3,000K/256K connection, I think it's supposed to be capped at 35GB down, 7.5GB up, but I'm pretty sure I'm WAY over that.

Edited by - Dave. on 22 February 2004 21:37:29
Go to Top of Page

seven

USA
1037 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  18:54:47  Show Profile  Visit seven's Homepage
In a matter of weeks I'm gonna be trying out a new wireless ISP service here... Its supposed to be a dedicated IP with 5mb upload & download for $35 US/month. I can't wait to see how it works...

Go to Top of Page

Classicmotorcycling
Development Team Leader

Australia
2084 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  19:56:52  Show Profile
I pay $AUS75.00 a month for 3Gb download and unlimited upload on a 512/128 ADSL connection, I also get 9 IP's from the ISP. I find even with the 2 daughters, I am struggling to use the 3Gb a month but know we are getting ripped compared to you guys/gals in the US.

Would not mind an unlimited download/upload and a subnet of 16 IP's for under $AUS50.00, but like you folks, we are having issues with our ISP's changing the rules about "Unlimited". It is not unlimited any more.

Cheers,

David Greening
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  21:09:04  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
My apartment building is now offering FTTH (home fiber optic cable service). Whoo hoo!

Ken
===============
Worldwide Partner Group
Microsoft
Go to Top of Page

seahorse

USA
1075 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2004 :  01:37:14  Show Profile  Visit seahorse's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dave.

Ouch.

I download well over 60GB a month, and I'm running a webserver on my Cox cable connection. [:{]

....I pay $40/mo for a 3,000K/256K connection, I think it's supposed to be capped at 35GB down, 7.5GB up, but I'm pretty sure I'm WAY over that.

Maybe you're next on the visit list Dave.

Ken
===============
Worldwide Partner Group
Microsoft
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 23 February 2004 :  12:06:57  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
Geez, this is terrible. I see the concept, but wholesale bandwidth is cheap, especially for people like comcast. Give the consumers a break and stick by what you tell them when they sign up.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07