Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Need Advise: Buying Computer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tania

54 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  08:35:43  Show Profile
Hi
I am hoping for some advise about my computer /buying a computer.

2 days ago my dell 8200 inspiron (1.7ghz, 30gb, 512 ram, geoforce 64mb) hard drive began to fail. Today the motherboard fan is failing. I brought my dell in from Canada. For these reasons (travel) I have always bought a laptop.

I am presently based in an African country where I have very few options regarding buying computers. So on Monday I was going to buy another computer quickly as I can't stop my work. I have sourced an AcerPower ST.

I have never bought a desktop computer before so was wondering is it a good enough solution...would I be able to upgrade it easily and expand it with minimal problems to suit my work - website and graphics /print design.

ie - geoforce 64mb graphics, faster hard drive, etc. The parts I can get sent in easily enough - but a complete computer I would worry about damage and would take too long.

I think there is a compaq dealer in town but again they would only be selling what is good enough for offices. All the dealers could bring a computer in that would suit my needs but that would take approx 3 weeks and can't wait.

I am wondering if its just a complete waste of money to buy a basic office desktop and buy the components over the next weeks to upgrade and have something to at least work with.

Finally, I could get a new dell hard drive and fan unit but again that will take 2 days to get to a canadain address and a week to get out here...and since there is no technician around - I would need to do it and am not sure thats all that is wrong and something else doesn't go. Although the dell diag doesn't indicate anything else yet.

A friend is going to Canada in a month and I was going to send it back for repair /etc then.

Any advise would help.

I think it may have overheated when I was doing my backing up to an external cd...I was doing a lot of backing up and may have pushed it - i don't know....I know little about hardware.

I write this on its last legs....
Thanks
Tania

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  09:16:34  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
Help with Desktop Hardware is available here:
http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/

Snitz 'Speedball' : Site Integration Mod : Friendly Registration Mod
"In war, the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won"
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  12:29:26  Show Profile
Just wondering...why is Windows 2000 not included ?

http://www.buildyourown.org.uk/install.asp
Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:04:59  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
IMO Windows 2000 is intended more as a business OS than one suited to home users like Win9x or XP. The sites main focus is on the home user, so I've relegated Windows 2000 to the 'other OS' category.

"In war, the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won"
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:39:40  Show Profile
Thatīs why I use Windows 2000, found it more stable than any other Windows operating system.

Oh well...nice site btw, but Iīve told you that long ago already

Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:41:50  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage

Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:47:44  Show Profile
Looking closer, what I would suggest is a search feature to the entire forum (except forum, which obviously already has one) and downloads to create bootdisks, which people often donīt have.

Ok, Iīm getting a little off topic here...sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

D3mon

United Kingdom
1685 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:53:33  Show Profile  Visit D3mon's Homepage
thanks for the suggestions. I'd probably redirect people to www.bootdisk.com who seems to have that angle nicely covered.

Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 22 February 2004 :  14:56:11  Show Profile
Yeah - very useful - used it more times than I can count.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07