Snitz Forums 2000
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Community Forums
 Community Discussions (All other subjects)
 Snitz Performance
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  19:10:23  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I know this has been brought up before. Who says snitz performance sucks? 340 users online my site now and default page still being generated in a second. I know every once in a while I will see one that is 2 seconds or whatever. Seems fast to me. What is the hurdle everyone talks about that holds it back?

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

RichardKinser
Snitz Forums Admin

USA
16655 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  19:16:34  Show Profile
Probably because of the amount of people running Snitz on either free hosting sites (that are overloaded), or cheap hosting (where the shared servers are oversold).
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  19:26:34  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I only run a moderate setup. 1.2 ghz sql server and dual 600mhz webserver.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

Faizan
Average Member

United Kingdom
592 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  19:30:46  Show Profile  Visit Faizan's Homepage  Send Faizan an AOL message  Send Faizan an ICQ Message  Send Faizan a Yahoo! Message
Maybe because some people run SHN, Crash or other modded one's which seem to run slow even if the server and the connection are fast.

»Snitz Graphics
Go to Top of Page

sr_erick

USA
1318 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  20:02:55  Show Profile  Visit sr_erick's Homepage  Send sr_erick a Yahoo! Message
I'm rather impressed. Hovering around 300 online and it doesn't seem to be much different from when there are 20 online.

Erick
Snowmobile Fanatics

Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 09 February 2004 :  20:15:57  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by sr_erick

I only run a moderate setup. 1.2 ghz sql server and dual 600mhz webserver.

You would probably benefit even more by running them the otherway round, I have not noticed any real performance benefit from running IIS on a dual compared to a single cpu system, whereas SQL benefits greatly from being dual processor.
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  02:00:35  Show Profile
sr_erick, were the visits mostly search engine spiders ?
Go to Top of Page

weeweeslap

USA
1077 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  02:04:22  Show Profile  Visit weeweeslap's Homepage  Send weeweeslap an AOL message  Send weeweeslap a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wii

sr_erick, were the visits mostly search engine spiders ?

They are unique people, his other admin happened to get an anonymous e-mail with pictures never seen before elsewhere of a snowmobile that is to be released in 2005. No other website has them so they upload it to theirs, and then promoted it accross other sites thus getting tons of traffic, in a matter of 3-4 hours, the topic had over 4,500 pages views.

coaster crazy
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG
Retired Support Moderator

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  02:36:27  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
erick, it's funny you're bringing it up. I'm having some strange difficulties with getting my site hosted at a reasonable speed.
Currently it's hosted at Agorahosting (a FastHosts.co.uk reseller). This is fast cheap hosting, but - and there's the problem - it's unreliable. Every now and then the site is completely down/extremely slow/the server reboots, whatever. So, I went out looking for an affordable spot.
Tested out Sharepointing.com (also a Snitz fanatic (Proeder)).
His site runs so extremely fast, that I decided to give it a try.
I know for sure that FastHosts runs way more sites on the current server than Proeder does, but still Proeder's loads slower. (http://ext00016.sharepointing.com compared to http://www.oxle.com)
So, I decided to test it locally here at work. We've got a departmental webserver, dedicated for our dept (100 people, avarage 5 to 50 people concurrent online).
It's a Dual P3-600, 512 MB, SCSI Raid 5 discs, on a LAN 100 Mbit connection, running Windows NT server with IIS.
So, expecting nothing but blazing speed....well... not really. Load times of 2,5 seconds per topic (with 10 concurrent users), the main page loading in 2 seconds....
AAARGH. I'm not getting it! It's the exact same code as used on the current site But why does it load slower ? Maybe because IIS isn't optimised correctly ? Maybe because of my crappy coding skills ?

Maybe this is the source of the stories of Snitz performance ; it's not very clear to determine the cause of slow fora.

By the way sr_erick ; I'd like to take up your offer, and at least try out your plan if that's allright with you.

portfolio - linkshrinker - oxle - twitter
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  03:54:23  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
marcelgoertz,

you neglected to say what your DB was, it has a massive affect on your forums performance. If it is access it will be competng with IIS for ram and processor time.
a dual p3 600 is not going to perform that brilliantly, it may be a dual, but being a p3 will mean it has fairly slow ram and bus speed.

I host a lot of forums, Snitz performs perfectly well straight out of the box, and does not reqire any special setup or consideration. One of the biggest causes of slow default.asp is having lots of categories and forums.
Go to Top of Page

HuwR
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
20584 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  04:03:15  Show Profile  Visit HuwR's Homepage
FYI

this site runs on a 2GHz celeron with 1Gb of ram, there are 12 other sites on the server, it has 4 hard disks, not raid, one is the system drive, one contains the web files and the other two are striped and used for IIS Logging (makes a huge difference if your log files are written to a dedicated drive)

The SQL is on a dual 1.4Ghz P4 with 2.5Gb of ram, it hosts quite a few databases, between 50-100(I think, not counted for a while) This is also set up in a similar way to the webserver, but there are two striped sets, one for the sql data files and another for the sql logs and a fifth drive which is the system drive

All drives IDE ATA 133
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  05:08:07  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
HuwR ; thanks for the info. I'm using an access db (in all three scenario's, at oxle.com, sharepointing.com and on our intranet). I cannot speak for the fasthosts and sharepointing, but the logfiles at our intranet site are saved to another logical drive (not a physical drive); they are about 40 Mb each per day.
I guess that I could speed up my code, if I knew how to optimize the queries. My sidebar uses several subsequent queries, and I guess that optimising that wouldn't be that hard for someone who knows what he's doing Unfortunately I am not one of them...

But what I want to make clear is that I've been running the exact same code as used on oxle.com with the exact same database on three servers, at Fasthosts, at Sharepointing and at our intranet. And Fasthosts seems to be the fastest, being twice as fast as Sharepointing and 2,5 times (maybe almost three times) as fast as our dedicated intranet site.
I know very little of IIS and SQL, so there may be tweaks necessary to improve the speed of the ASP in general on a standard server. I don't know...
But HuwR , another question ; do you offer hosting commercially ?

Go to Top of Page

OneWayMule
Dev. Team Member & Support Moderator

Austria
4969 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  05:11:13  Show Profile  Visit OneWayMule's Homepage  Send OneWayMule an ICQ Message
quote:
But HuwR , another question ; do you offer hosting commercially ?

http://www.reddi-web.com/

My MODs:
Birthdays - Custom Policy - F.A.Q. Administration - Forum Rules - Guestbook
Links Manager - MyOwnGoogle - Profile Views - Search Log - WebSearch

Useful stuff:
Forum and MOD Installation - MOD Installation Guide - Snitz v3.4.05 Readme - Free ASP Hosts - Support Snitz
Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  05:11:33  Show Profile
http://www.reddiweb.com/

quote:
Originally posted by marcelgoertz
another question ; do you offer hosting commercially ?

Go to Top of Page

wii
Free ASP Hosts Moderator

Denmark
2632 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  05:12:19  Show Profile
Mule, you beat in 20 seconds !!!
Go to Top of Page

MarcelG

Netherlands
2625 Posts

Posted - 10 February 2004 :  05:26:28  Show Profile  Visit MarcelG's Homepage
Thanks! Now I only need to know how many euro's one pound is....ehm... 1.47 EUR = 1 GBP.
Okay...another option to consider...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 © 2000-2021 Snitz™ Communications Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.07